iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What saw do you use (for all the profellers out there)

Started by parkmark, July 23, 2008, 05:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkmark

So I run a forestry/ fire crew in Lake Tahoe but work through-out the state.  Most of our crew run husky 575xp and 372xp's,  and a few 460's(stihl).  As crew bosses and class C sawyers we run 660s and at home i run a 066 and do my climbing and topping w/ an old 026 pro.  We were all having a debate on what the big-time pro-fellers use.  My buddy thinks they use 372 385 440 and 460's.  I think they use more along the line of 395xp, 3120(w/ a shorter bar) or 660s.  Also any good ideas on how to get more "umph" out of our 660's and 460's with out useing the max flow or big bore kit???  thanks for your time.

Dale Hatfield

we run 372,575 20 inch bars    for felling timber.    395  36 bar for  the big ones.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

rebocardo

I do not know many pro fellers as in loggers, but, many people around here love the Husky 372. Example, I just bought an 066 from a tree service guy, he is getting rid of his Stihl saws and keeping his two Husky 372s. He said what I have heard many say, he likes the way they rev.

I really like my Husky 365, but, with everyone telling me how much they like their 372s, I am starting to get an inferiority complex.   :D

I think the next most popular is the 3120, I haven't seen any of the other Husky models much in use or for sale locally. So, I don't think they get bought that much around here. About the only place where I see Stihl saws much more then the Husky saws are for climbing saws. Everyone seems to love the 020T.

Reddog

Here in Mi,MN, and WI. My guess is 80+% of the felling is done by Cat, Kumotsu or Ponesee. (Harvestors/processors)
As for ones still using saws. The older guys use some thing in the 50cc to 80cc range. Most keep 16", 20"and 28" bars around and switch to what is needed for the job.
The young and  ::) they may lug a 90cc to a 120cc saw around and keep telling you how fast they are. But funny how the tally sheets at the end of the day add up.  ;)

jokers

372,460,660, and the 395 are the main saws used here, can`t give a 575 away and the 441`s aren`t perceived much better.  :D

sawguy21

365's, 372's and 460's are popular here often with 24" bars. We sell the occasional MS880 or 3120 for milling. Some go out with 60" bars as package saws, they are used to trim the ends of lifts. The pro logging market is pretty much dead. :(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tim1234

Suprised no one else said it yet.....Welcome to the Forum.

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

Maineloggerkid

I run a 372, but am switching to a stihl 460. Most guys around here run- husky 372, stihl 440, 460, and jonsered 2171. Anywhere from 18" bar right up to 30".
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

John Mc

QuoteAlso any good ideas on how to get more "umph" out of our 660's and 460's with out useing the max flow or big bore kit???

One of the quickest and easiest ways of getting more "umph" out of your saws is to swap out the catalytic muffler (if that's what it has) with a non-catalytic one. Someone here described the catalytic mufflers to me as "constipated", and that was a good description. They don't breathe very well, robbing the saw of power.After that (or if you already have a non-catalytic muffler), you could look at some muffler mods.

I've done the muffler swap on a 52 cc saw, and it made a noticeable difference. The saw has more power, and runs a LOT cooler.

I believe once you go beyond these simple steps, you're talking more serious money for significant performance gains. I'm no expert in any of these things, but there are those on here who are. If you are interested, I'm sure someone will chime in.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jokers

Quote from: Maineloggerkid on July 24, 2008, 07:37:47 PM
I run a 372, but am switching to a stihl 460.
Why go to a 460 if you`re already running a 372? You won`t see much positive benefit if any at all. If it`s because your 372 is clapped out and you can`t get another I can see your point in swapping, if I recall your 372 is relatively new?

jokers

Quote from: John Mc on July 24, 2008, 07:44:07 PM
QuoteAlso any good ideas on how to get more "umph" out of our 660's and 460's with out useing the max flow or big bore kit???

One of the quickest and easiest ways of getting more "umph" out of your saws is to swap out the catalytic muffler (if that's what it has) with a non-catalytic one. Someone here described the catalytic mufflers to me as "constipated", and that was a good description. They don't breathe very well, robbing the saw of power.After that (or if you already have a non-catalytic muffler), you could look at some muffler mods.
With the 460 or 660 he can buy a dual port muffler cover right from Stihl and not affect warranty in any way, about thirty bucks and a carb re-tune.

Maineloggerkid

Its seen a year of use, and my friend has a 460. I like it. A lot. I think the felling sights are superior, and the saw seems to fit a little better in my hands. Plus, the local dealer has better service and support for stihl saws, since the husky place burned to the ground, and he has just started to carry husqvarna saws. He has carried stihl since he opened his shop.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

WildDog

I have just got home from a 4 day cross cut and tree felling course, the instructor supplied the 3 of us with new 395xps, brilliant saws, loved them only probs seemed heavy on the fuel and one morning when he had us limbing 2 1/2 hrs straight with no rest, only to re-fuel, re-fuel, re-fuel, the saws got a bit heavy towards the end.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

timberfaller390

I run a Stihl MS390 and I love it. I don't have any trouble with a 28" bar but anything more might be a stretch
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Danny Dimm

I haven't fell steady for a couple of years but I know that any one running a Husky had to pack to jugs of gas up the hill. The guys with the stihls just one. Husky's seem to be a tougher saw and the stihls seem to cut a bit better.  Most guys around here use stihls. 46 or 66 and 28" bars. Most port the exhaust as well. Makes a big difference.

Red 93 L1 #3383

I work for the Minot Park District & our Forestry Department ( In charge of removing and planting trees in the city's parks & on the boulevards & any other city owned property ) currently have in order ( from newest to oldest ):
575XP-32", MS200T-15", 338XPT-15",HS 45, 372XP-28",HT 75-14", 365-24", 335XPT-15", Echo Power Pruner.  They have money in their budget this year to buy another small saw, the oldest saw is now 11 years old.  They try to get one new saw each year, but sometimes they can't.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

Southernlogger007

Back in the day when we could run saws here in the south,I would run an 044 with a 24'' bar. :'(  But now i work with a hydro-ax feller buncher. 8)

stumper

I no longer qualify, but I run husky 372's with 20 or 24 inch bars depending on the size of the wood in the chance.  I no longer run 16's or 18's because it just means more bending.  The big stuff gets the 394 with a 36 inch bar.  I love the power it has but it is just to heavy to run all day.  My 3120 goes like a raped ape, but it would kill me to lug around, so it stay in the yard.

I tried a smaller saw and like the way they limb, but they lack power

Many around here swear by Johns 2171.

arojay

372 and 385, 24" and 30" bars most often for me.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

parkmark

I run a program with about 30 saws in our inventory, everyone of them gets use every day. In the past we had mainly 372's.  We made the mistake of buying about 15 575's. Still mad at husqy for that one. At least half of them won't even run.  I do all my own service and can't figure out the problem, they shut off when they get hot, got to choke it to start it, then 2 seconds later it shuts off again. Bought a couple of 460's, can't complain, but next year I'm getting 372's again. Other than that I've tried about every Husqy they make above 353. Like them all, easy to work on and reliable, except for that darn 575.

John Mc

Quote from: parkmark on July 30, 2008, 10:59:28 AM
We made the mistake of buying about 15 575's. ...  they shut off when they get hot, got to choke it to start it, then 2 seconds later it shuts off again.

My Jonsered 2152 did that, as did a friend's Husky 353 (basically the same saw). Replacing the catalytic mufflers with non-catalytic ones cured the problem... they both run MUCH cooler now, and have a bit more power.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

zackman1801

i run a husky 365sp. love it to death, handles the big stuff with no problems but its not soo big i cant use it on small stuff or firewood on the weekends too.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

reinela

I run an 029 - 20" and MS180 - 14" for trimming and an MS880 for milling - 56" and felling - 36". They are all great saws - never had any problems.

Lee
Lee A. Reiners
Reiners Tree & Lumber Milling Service
309-830-7380
reinela@hotmail.com

Thank You Sponsors!