iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Birdseye Maple etc.

Started by inspectorwoody, June 15, 2003, 07:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inspectorwoody

I recieved an email from a guy in the upper Michigan area who has available for sale:

1600' of birdseye 4/4 and 8/4 1 com btr heavy to Fas

mix of birdseye and curly maple combo

Random widths 8-12' long

Also some 12/4 Cherry. Also available is 1200' of 10/4 yellow birch, maple and cherry select and btr, un-edged 8' long.

I am looking at some of the birdseye for myself but if anyone else would be interested in any of this, let me know and I can get you the contact information etc. This lumber I was told has been in his warehouse for 20 years so I am curious to see the pics when I get them.

Gadget

Furby

I would like to see the pics. too.
              Furby

inspectorwoody

Recieved an email today with some more information. Pics are said to be coming soon.

Lumber was originally dried to 12-14% MC and pre-planed but not to minimum dimension for grading purposes. It has since been dead stacked.  ??? 20 years....Curious to see pics!

sawwood

Is there a minamount you can git Inspector. I would like
 some cherry. like to see the photos.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

inspectorwoody

I will check with him tomorrow when I give him a ring. I have had a few other guys interested so we might be getting it all shipped this way!  ;D

CHARLIE

I guess I'd need to know what he wants per board foot and the minimum a guy could buy. If it is shipped to Independence, Iowa......That ain't too far a drive for me.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Gadget,  I.M. me his name. I'd like to see if I recognize it or his company. I work with the Michigan Association of Timbermen so I come in contact in some form with a ton of different companies.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

inspectorwoody

Still no pics at this time. I have left him a message in hopes he gets back to me soon.

Bibbyman

Spring before last Mary was buying logs like crazy.  Got in three hard (red?) maple logs from one really nice tree.  Somewhere in the shuffle they got lost.  It wasn't until last spring (year ago) I was getting oak logs from the 10' fencing and blocking log pile and found the logs again.  They had been on the ground on the bottom covered by about 5,000 or more bf of oak logs.  The bark was falling off and they didn't look none too good.  I sawed them 4/4 and sticked them in the shed.  They showed signs of spalting.  That's been over a year ago.  I've not looked at them since.  

The logs were all "bumpy" on the outside and I suspect Mary thought they were junk.  As I remember, the boards had a lot of what I would call fiddleback figure in them - especially the butt cut.

I guess I'll have to dig them out and see what I've got - firewood or fortune. But now the lumber is behind about 5,000 bf of oak. >:(

Years ago, my old uncle with the circle saw built himself a new house.  Sawed each stick of lumber, air dried it and ran it through an old plainer he had.  He "board and battened" the outside in maple (I don't know why).  Years later, someone pointed out that the maple had Birdseye in it.  He took it off and replaced it with oak and used the maple to make bedroom furniture.

Anyway,
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Brian_Bailey

I was at Woodcraft's store the other day pick'n up a dog leg chisel.  Just happened to wander over to their lumber racks and price board.  Don't really know why, as I have enough lumber for several life times.  Spied a nice rack of spalted 4/4 maple,  took a glance at the price board and DanG near choked  :o ,  $12 / bf.   Spalted beech was going for $7 / bf.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

CHARLIE

If ya wanna spalt a chunk of birch or maple for turning, just put it in a plastic bag and throw a little dirt in there. In about a month or two, it will be spalted. DonT wait too long though or it'll be too punky to turn. :P  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

inspectorwoody

Recieved a phone call from the fellow this evening. Found out the young man......is 81 years old and still going strong  ;) Here is the scoop I got:

Wearhauser Lumber Co. was in a bind and needed a planer/moulder. Well Foy had one and got half the payment in cash and the rest in birdseye.

He has nine patents on inventions! He has been around and done quite a bit.

He used to have the Arbour Box Company in which they developed boxes for the Federal Govt. etc. Such as the suspended packing box.

I have a few pics and have looked to another fellow forestry forum user to post them. Foy is also sending some more.

I also have been thinking about going up to Michigan to take a look at the lumber and to meet Foy....sounds like I could learn a lot.

Any of you interested...Let me know how much ya'll are looking to get and of what.

Thanks

Gadget

CHARLIE

It depends on his price and the minimum amount he will sell. :P
Charlie

inspectorwoody

I'm sure he will sell what ever we all want and as far as price...ya'll start throwing out some figures so I can do some wheeling and dealing.

ElectricAl

Here is Inspectorwoody's Birdseye Maple.

Remember.......Money talks and the rest walk ;D

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

inspectorwoody

inspectorwoody

Alright guys! You see what you will be getting. I am thinking about taking a trip up there. He is due north 120 miles from green bay.

I need to know how much bf ya'll want so I can see how much he will sell.

Please let me know how much ya'll are interested in.

Thanks

CHARLIE

Well, I certainly don't want to insult anybody because I know what that stuff is worth. I really don't have a place for it and usually use stuff like that for accent wood.  I reckon I'd be interested in 50 board feet if I could get it for less than $5 a board foot.  
Charlie

Fla._Deadheader

I know this isn't what ya wanna hear, but, I mentioned this stuff to my buyer today, and he is interested. Needs to know a price and how do we get it down here??? Would it be possible to re-saw this 8/4 into 4/4, with a bandmill, or, would ya need a resaw????
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

Harold,
To do it properly requires a resaw.  The 8/4 may have moved and you can't split a twisted board. on the sawmill.  It doesn't have to be off much. :-/

Here I'm talking out of school again, but,  those that use woods like that would rather resaw it themselves.  I've been told that by cabinet maker customers and read it on wood working forums.  They want to be able to make their own "book match".  

My disclaimer is that I don't know what I'm talking about, just repeating words. :D

inspectorwoody

I called him tonight and left a message. Looking to hopefully hear back tomorrow.

Thanks for your patients everyone and I will get you more info as I get it.

Thank You Sponsors!