iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Powderpost Beetle Treatment?

Started by Cypress Man, July 30, 2008, 10:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypress Man

I know this topic has probably been brought up more than once but I tend to forget :-\.  I've seen many products used to treat powderpost beetles such as Bora Care, Timbersol, Shell Guard, etc...   What do most sawmill owners use to controll these pest in your logs, beams and rough lumber that does not cost a fortune?   All info would be greatly appreciated.

Cypress Man

LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

Ironwood

Buy straight Broax from your local Agway (this is the ingredients in all the trade named goods listed, combined w/ fugicide), and combine it with some fugicide of your own. Try to "keep as wet" as longs as you can, to get the Borax salt to penetrate (some have use old style antifreeze, which is obviously poisenous >:()

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Mad Professor

backwoods sawyer

lay the boards out in the sun for an hour or so and poke each beatle with a pin :-\
Or kiln dry to 140*
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brad_bb

I fogged som Sevin insecticide last year on some green oak that was being attacked by the dust pile makers.  It seemed to work.  You should not be breathing in the seven though(respirator) and avoid skin contact.  I also think you are supposed to wait 3 weeks until it's gone inert before messing with the wood.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!