iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

24 hp Honda

Started by Tim L, August 01, 2008, 08:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim L

Just curious ,

I run a 24 hp Honda(GX670) on my Turner mill and was wondering how many others run this motor . Mine performs well but we had to take the carb apart twice to clean scum out .Thanks to that quality fuel nowadays . Any insights ?
Do the best you can and don't look back

backwoods sawyer

Use "Marine STA-BIL" found at auto parts stores.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

woodsrunner

I've had good luck with stabil in lots of applications. It does seem to help on fuel breakdown related issues. One thing I've learned is if you have nasty gunked up carb problems you need to not only rebuild the carb but clean the fuel tank and your fuel containers as well. The easiest thing I have found for this is plain old isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). If your fuel has broken down in the carb it probably has done so in the tank. I prefer to pull the tank off put several bottles of alcohol in and shake the tank well. Then let it sit for half a day or so and swish it around some more. The grud will usually dissolve in the alcohol and any water in the tank will mix with the alcohol as well and the whole mess can be poured out.  The alcohol is cheap and easy to use. Also alcohol wont hurt four stroke engines, although it may work on rubber parts on older equipment, so try to get it all out of the tank after cleaning. Others here may know of a better way.

Tim L

I use stabil, We also throw a little mystery oil in our cans (an old boat guy told me to) but gas just isn't what it used to be . Everything is running good now ,do you fellas have 24 Hondas ? If so how do you like them ? mine runs pretty strong , no complaints about power . I've never heard of the alcohol treatment.

Corley5

I've got one on my firewood processor.  It's got around 700 hours on it now with no issues.  Once in while it'll have a spell of surging but a few treatments of Seafoam in the gas and it's cured.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tim L

I have read on here before about Seafoam . What is it and is it available in NH ?

Corley5

http://www.seafoamsales.com/  We also run it in our gas and diesel tractors as well as our Cummins Dodges.  Seems to do the job  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

woodsrunner

Just to be clear guys, I only use the alcohol for cleaning out the fuel tank. It is a pretty good solvent and the alcohol is hygroscopic and not very toxic. My experiences has shown that if fuel goes bad in the carb it probably has gone bad in the tank too. So I figure why rebuild the carb and then run nasty fuel thru it. Clean out your fuel tank. Its amazing what you will find in a fuel tank.

Tim L

Is Seafoam like Mystery oil ?

Left Coast Chris

I run a 24 hp Honda on my woodmizer clone sawmill.  Always starts right up.  No problems.  Have had a surge occasionally.  Might try the sea foam if I can find it out west here.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

sawguy21

Tim, Seafoam is great for decarboning by spraying it in the carburetor throat with the engine running. It is also a good fuel system cleaner when mixed with the gas, really cuts the additive deposits.
When I worked in the north, we always used isopropyl alcohol in our fuels to pick up free water and prevent icing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Toolman

I run a 24 hp Honda on my Turner mill without any issues. I only have about 150 hrs. on engine. I always add 1.5 ounces pure acetone per 5 gal. gas in all of my gas engines. It's cheap and very effective.Xylene (xylenol) also works well.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Tim L

Thanks guys perhaps I'll try some (or all) of these. Right now the Turner is running awesome cutting white oak like butter !

ksu_chainsaw

Also, another way to clean out fuel cans and tanks is to get some E85- 85% alcohol- There is a station down the road from me that we go to, a lot of the farmers around here get E85 to clean up the big fuel barrels every year- the residue works good to start brushpiles and to burn off CRP.

Charles

Thank You Sponsors!