TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: The weather  (Read 1207093 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: The weather
« Reply #14360 on: May 06, 2018, 04:02:41 AM »
I know what that clean-up is like. I've taken down 8 problem trees this spring in the yard. Two days to haul brush and make firewood. ;D I had to remove the old butternut and the two walnut trees this spring. The walnuts were never very frost hardy, the hurricane in 2014 took out a major limb on the butternut. Butternut is amazingly rot resistant, but prone to wind damage. The wood is not strong and limbs grow out too long. If I had a place for the but logs I would have saved them. But no, so they are firewood. Shame. ;)

But brush, even a 60 foot tall spruce makes one big pile of brush. But at least softwood branches stack fairly neat. Now hardwoods have limbs more aerial and don't stack flat. Oh, well. Fire or fungus will flatten them. But we can't burn as simply around here no more. By May 1st one has to have a burn plan, not just a permit. No place for a fire to get away around my lot, there is acres of bare mud all around.  ;)

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #14361 on: May 06, 2018, 05:57:30 AM »
A cool down for us.  ;D   Not even going to get in the 70's today.
We had a storm the other night,hard rain and hard,and I mean hard wind. Some places had no power. I suppose some trees came down on the lines.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #14362 on: May 06, 2018, 06:50:52 AM »
SD;  Butternut is good woodcarvers material!

We never had any luck getting Butternut to burn unless you already had a good fire going first!

There might be a market in your area for the butt logs!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #14363 on: May 06, 2018, 03:37:00 PM »
It's been in the 70's and 80's the last few days and windy. This morning I woke up at 3:00 to my cell phone going off with weather alerts. I went outside to make sure the windows were rolled up in my truck and I could hear the tornado sirens going off in town. I don't know of any tornados touching down, but the storm got pretty crazy for a while. Supposed to be warm with more storms today and looks nice for the weekend.

What do ya do when that happens (you can hear the tornado sirens at night)?  Do you have a shelter in, under, or outside the house?  Just wondering, we don't get too much of that type of weather around here, I'm guessing falling back asleep isn't the answer!
 I live about 5 miles from town where the siren is, we can usually just hear it if we're outside. Quit a few people have shelters around here, we have a cellar in the back yard but rarely go in it. We usually just watch the weather and if it looks like we may have trouble we usually just go in a room with no windows. 
 In town there is a public storm shelter for people to go in. 
 I would like to eventually get a storm shelter, this house has been here around 120 years with out being blown away but you never know. 
- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut
- Kioti DK45, '92 Dodge Cummins with Cannonball  bed, '07 Honda Rancher

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #14364 on: May 06, 2018, 04:04:56 PM »
I find butternut burns quick when dry. Right now it is ringing wet. ;D I can always add some cedar or spruce to coax it along. ;)

Too late for carving and lumber, no place to store it. Everything is full up with furniture from moving. :D

Yeah, butternut is good carving wood. I have an old butter tray my great great grandmother would wash the butter in when removed from the churn. Yup, old considering they was the first homestead on the Tobique River. And butternut was growing along the shore then.

chest

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #14365 on: May 06, 2018, 06:08:56 PM »
Really nice stuff there, SD!  ;)
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #14366 on: May 07, 2018, 05:29:19 AM »
Been watching for fiddleheads. Still nothing but dry spore heads from last year. Probably be jumping up this week, it is going to be sunny, and if like yesterday, on the muggy side. Be tramping the bush this week running lines and boundary ribbons for thinning.

Dirty Harry

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14367 on: May 11, 2018, 05:58:21 AM »
I saw someone in town selling fiddleheads.
Need a sweatshirt on here first thing in the morning and late evening. But the sun has been out.  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #14368 on: May 11, 2018, 09:11:03 AM »
I've been eating fiddleheads this week to. The little brook by the house has a few.

Was in the 70's, now down in the 50's. We had frost a couple days ago, and suppose to dip into the 20's tonight, but recover to 60's on Saturday. ;D

Dirty Harry

Offline curdog

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14369 on: May 11, 2018, 10:08:17 PM »
We've had thunderstorms the last couple of days , dumped hail yesterday on my way home.  Looks like we're going to get a taste of summer this weekend with 93 on Sunday... I'm not ready for the heat.....is it fall yet?

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14370 on: May 12, 2018, 05:25:15 AM »
Frost? I have not been out yet,but 32.  I am on a small hill,I might of made it.
I can hear people now saying how cold it is. Just normal weather for Maine. Mid 80's last week,yesterday if you was standing around,you would need a sweat shirt on. 

Offline Bricklayer51

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14371 on: May 12, 2018, 08:15:51 AM »
We had frost the last two nights it is supposed to warm up a little this coming week going to put my plants in the garden sunday

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #14372 on: May 12, 2018, 05:36:36 PM »
A light frost this morning on the grass. Never seemed to hit the plants in the woods. Fiddle heads was still bright green this evening up near the woodlot. Sure was a good drying wind, clothes on the line dried between loads mother said. :)

Dirty Harry

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14373 on: May 13, 2018, 09:24:19 AM »
Yesterday was another cold day. The wind was blowing. Seem like it's warmer early this morning than high noon yesterday.

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #14374 on: May 13, 2018, 11:37:14 AM »
Frost the last 4 mornings. Thursday night the temp dropped to 21 and stayed there for 7 hours, needless to say the ground was frozen, water troughs iced over, garden hose froze solid, grass and tree buds turning a little black at the tips. Days have been in the 40s to around 50. Nothing super was but nice working weather.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #14375 on: May 13, 2018, 05:27:48 PM »
I think it was 70 today, suppose to be 70's for a couple and then down to 60 Wednesday. No rain though. Hasn't rained here a drop in 2 weeks. The farmers have been going gang busters here this week putting in grain crops. I will be putting in taters and onions this coming weekend. :)

Dirty Harry

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #14376 on: May 15, 2018, 11:21:03 AM »
76 yesterday and only 46 today. with these temp swings it's hard to get used to anything.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #14377 on: May 15, 2018, 04:30:54 PM »
In the 70's Monday, a dry heat. Was in the 60's with a little rain today, humid and fog in the morning. Well, enough of that. ;D Sunny next few days, but probably frost tomorrow morning. I saw 5 moose the last two days, mostly in ditches. Must be where the good stuff is. One fella was just rump and hind legs showing at the edge of the ditch, the rest was buried in fir limbs. ;D

No burning province wide up until today. One forest fire burning near Miramichi city. I know yesterday, when the road was graded in the woods near work, I couldn't see anything behind me, a huge dust cloud. Like trying to see through a wall. ;)

Dirty Harry

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14378 on: May 17, 2018, 06:12:32 AM »
Step son went on top of the hill turkey hunting. Saw alot of moose tracks. Both small and big. But no tracks around my place. Maybe a mile away on top of the hill. 
Been kinda on the cool side. Yesterday was the warmest it has been. Been in the low 40's each night. 

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #14379 on: May 17, 2018, 06:12:33 PM »
They said probably frost province wide here tonight, cold NW wind a howling. ;D

Dirty Harry

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
cold weather insulation vs hot weather insulation

Started by jueston on Timber Framing/Log construction

1 Replies
Last post January 31, 2014, 08:07:24 PM
by RavensWood
xx
weather

Started by LeeB on General Board

1 Replies
Last post April 01, 2008, 02:44:02 PM
by ADAMINMO