iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: The weather  (Read 1247353 times)

chevytaHOE5674 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Old Greenhorn

• An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
Re: The weather
« Reply #15620 on: February 12, 2019, 10:29:01 PM »
We only got about 5" of snow and 3" of sleet and the plowing is easy. I should have been done within 2 hours, BUT during the last storm I whacked the plow on a rock frozen into the ground that my wife placed around the mailbox because 'it looked nice'. It about knocked the teeth out of my head and bent up the angle locking quadrant pretty good. AT the time I banged it back in with a maul and finished up. I thought it would be OK until I had a Sunday to take it apart and fix it proper. Apparently not, tonight it wouldn't hold the plow in position and the plow went where the wind or snow blew it. Pulled it in the shop, took it all apart got the bent plate fairly well returned to shape, but I had also bent the short end of the 1/2" locking pin (That was quite a whack!). I heated it and tried to bend it straight, but there is a sharp groove for a snap ring and I was afraid it would snap at that groove, so I got it close and did a lot of filing. I also had to re-open the groove because it squeezed shut with the bend and the snap ring would not sit tight. I didn't do a very good job, would like to at least get a new pin, but I put it all together and it seemed to hold, but that danged snap ring kept popping out. Finally got it to where it would hold if I was gentle and didn't yank on it to test it. Finished up the plowing about 3 hours after I had expected to. Have to make some calls for parts tomorrow to do it right.
 Still snowing lightly and the radar shows we may get another hit sometime late in the overnight.  18 degrees as I write this. 
 At least now the plow will work if I need it before going to work.
 The folks up north of us like in @Chuck White 's country are getting the brunt of this and I suppose it will hit Maine and NB pretty good too. We got a light one this time. no big deal here. Local weather guy (a real one, not the TV guy) says the is a possibility of a real snow event coming within the next 10-12 days, but too soon to tell. It's winter....still.
Can You help out the Coleman Veterans Memorial by chipping in a few bucks? Go here for the full story: Can you help this year? in General Board

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Offline 51cub

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15621 on: February 13, 2019, 02:29:15 AM »
Yesterday's snow and sleet should be turning over to rain in the next couple hours. The temperature is coming up slowly. We've all been here for 19 hours now so hopefully it'll change over, get the roads slushed off and get out of here
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #15622 on: February 13, 2019, 06:46:47 AM »
I think I have about 8 inches on the ground. Sounds like sleet now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #15623 on: February 13, 2019, 06:55:54 AM »
We had about 5" late last night, then it started freezing rain and that amounted to almost ", then started snowing again through the night, so far about 8" total!

Right now, it's snowing (regular snow) and 34, this afternoon we're supposed to get heavy "Lake Effect" snow.

So it looks like I'll be plowing after breakfast, then again sometime late tonight or tomorrow morning!

Travel advisory issued for St Lawrence County!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #15624 on: February 13, 2019, 07:33:00 AM »
NE'er with that driving wind. Might find my way out tomorrow sometime. :D
Move'n on.

Online Old Greenhorn

• Share Post
« Reply #15625 on: February 13, 2019, 09:00:16 AM »
Well we got a genuine coating of ice at the end of it overnight. First time all winter I was peeling a 1/4" sheet off the whole truck in the morning. Can't plow that stuff. I discovered this morning that when I threw a chain last night I may have punched a hole in a tire on the mule. Between the plow repairs and the tire, this is going to be the most expensive storm to date. I need 4 new tires anyway, but it is not in the budget for at least 6 months, and of course, it hits on a week when there is nothing to spare and I am counting pennies until payday. Not that I'm hurting, just normal family expenses ran a bit high last week.
Funny when I went out to start the truck and throw some salt, it was sunshine just coming over the trees, 30 minutes later when I left for work it was full overcast, damp, and snowing again. It might hit 40 today for a little bit.
Yup, winter.
Can You help out the Coleman Veterans Memorial by chipping in a few bucks? Go here for the full story: Can you help this year? in General Board

Offline Grizzly

• I wanna go camping!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15626 on: February 13, 2019, 12:57:56 PM »
We're into about our 10th day of extreme cold warnings as they call it and I'm gittin grumpy. 4 or 5 school days canceled already. Coldest morning was -42C with wind factor down to -51C but mostly in the low 30's with wind factor to mid 40's. Children are getting cabin fever and it takes it's wear on everything. Starters, oil, transmission, etc.  Whining will continue later.  ;D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Offline wisconsitom

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15627 on: February 13, 2019, 01:12:01 PM »
Fellows, I can hardly stand to watch a weather forecast anymore.  I am interested in the weather!  All you get though are instructions on how to dress, how to drive, and an endless discussion of wind chill values, as if we don't know that wind makers it feel colder.  Just useless to a geek like me.  No chance of a barometer reading.  Dew point?  What's that?  Low and high pressure areas interacting and progressing,  Nah, let's talk about wind chill some more!  There is almost zero actual weather content in these "forecasts".

I know I'm getting to be that grumpy old man, but it is just ridiculous.  Are people really that stupid now?  My wife says yes, they are....they will go out in sub-zero with their flip flops.  They will drive to work with no concern or even realization that sometimes cars break down or there is an accident.  Most seem to want to live their entire lives inside buildings.  That alone I cannot understand.

tom

Offline wisconsitom

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15628 on: February 13, 2019, 01:14:51 PM »
Highest snowfall from yesterday that I heard of in this state was Wausau, with 16 inches.  Probably more somewhere, but that was official.  My land is due east of Wausau, although a good 50 miles away.  We've got the Menominee Reservation between us!  Sometimes touted as the finest patch of forest east of the Mississippi.

tom

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15629 on: February 13, 2019, 01:52:48 PM »
Looks like we got about 4 more inches. Probably got a foot. Still doing "something" out.
Swampdonkey sounds like you got something going on up there.
And to all you guys with those temps!!! Hang in there.
Mid Feb,I hope to be past those temps,day after day. Yes,we might get a day or 2,but we "should" be past that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #15630 on: February 13, 2019, 02:05:49 PM »
Yep snow and wind. That wind piles it in some areas and makes bare in others. I ain't doing nut'n until tomorrow. :D

Move'n on.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15631 on: February 13, 2019, 02:07:48 PM »
I don't see the Mountain in the distance.  :D   

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #15632 on: February 13, 2019, 02:08:57 PM »
 :D :D :D It would do well to hide today.
Move'n on.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #15633 on: February 13, 2019, 02:09:45 PM »
I can't even see Mars Hill and it's only 3 miles away. ;D
Move'n on.

Offline Pulphook

• Full Member x2
  • Duty, Honor, Country
    • Share Post
« Reply #15634 on: February 13, 2019, 05:19:45 PM »
You can really see Mars and Katadhin ?????????!!! 8)
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #15635 on: February 13, 2019, 07:07:43 PM »
Not today, but by the looks of things I will tomorrow. Clearing out here before dark. 8)

Move'n on.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #15636 on: February 13, 2019, 08:06:47 PM »
We have a lot of the snowdrifts and bare ground in this area too, Swamp!  :snowball:

I figure we've gotten about a foot since the storm started!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline lxskllr

• dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #15637 on: February 13, 2019, 08:13:08 PM »
40 and partly sunny today. Wind kicked up mid day, and the sun went in making it chillier than the raw numbers implied. Everything's a slushy mess.

Online Old Greenhorn

• Share Post
« Reply #15638 on: February 13, 2019, 09:25:44 PM »
Nothing much to report. We took the less than desirable weather that Jeff sent us and moved on up toward SwamDonkey. Sorry mate. The temp hit almost 40 here today and we had some flurries and sleet here and there between bouts of bright sunshine. Not much coming in the forecast beyond annoyance stuff. I ordered the parts to fix my plow today [choke, gag]. I saw that the tire I may have pierced was even lower when I got home tonight, so I pumped it up hard and am watching to see if it drops overnight.  I can't find any damage. I am hoping that at low pressure, when I threw the chains and they wrapped the axle they may have pulled on the bead. Just went out and gave it a kick, it still seems hard, so I am hopeful. A hundred bucks right now is not a good hit for me to take and if I buy one, I should at least get a pair.
 Tomorrow is a new day and Swampdonkey will emerge from his lair to begin anew and do damage control. 

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #15639 on: February 14, 2019, 05:39:24 AM »
Yup, in front of the main porch there is a good 12" and 5" in under it by the door this time. Brother was up around 11:00 pm last night and pushed and blew most of the snow off the main driveway, just gotta get the blower out to clean up. Snow plow went 4 times in this storm, just went down a few moments ago. Had to make several passes where the wind blows hard over the road. :)
Move'n on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
cold weather insulation vs hot weather insulation

Started by jueston on Timber Framing/Log construction

1 Replies
Last post January 31, 2014, 08:07:24 PM
by RavensWood
xx
Even more odd weather

Started by Furby on General Board

9 Replies
Last post October 19, 2007, 07:55:43 PM
by SwampDonkey
xx
This weather..........................................

Started by Woodhauler on Forestry and Logging

9 Replies
Last post November 30, 2011, 08:57:21 PM
by Bobus2003
xx
weather

Started by LeeB on General Board

1 Replies
Last post April 01, 2008, 02:44:02 PM
by ADAMINMO