iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky numbers

Started by Cooter, August 08, 2008, 04:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

I all, this is my first post.  I've been lurking for a long time while reading lots of old posts.

I've got a question about Husky's numbers.  Some of them are different on their corporate website than those on Bailey's website.  I'm trusting that Bailey's is the correct source.

I'm considering purchasing a new 372xp.  My local shop still has a couple 372 Westerns also, and likes them well enough that he's keeping one for himself.  According the Bailey's website, the Western weighs 1.3lbs more than the standard XP.  The power ratings are the same however.  Does anyone out there (aside from my local saw shop) think that the XPW version is worth the extra weight?  I want the larger dawgs and full wrap bar, but I can swap that stuff later if the standard XP is the best deal.  I've been reading about what a heavy pig the 575 is, and it only weighs 4oz more than the 372XPW.  The HP rating is the same too, as is the displacement.  I haven't compared the bore/stroke numbers or the port locations, but if the 575 is such a bad saw, then what makes the 372 Western a great one?

I'm also considering the 390XP.  It's only a pound heavier than the 372XPW, but with another 1.1HP.  Does anyone own both a 372 and 390 to compare?  Having the extra HP while running a completely stock, reliable saw does sound appealing.  It costs $100 more up front, but would save a $200+  shop bill for mod work.  I assume the 390 drinks more fuel, but I don't know how much more.

I'm not looking for a race saw.  I just cut firewood for my family (and extended family), friends, and anyone else who needs help------------I turning trees into firewood.   On my side of the state (E. Oregon), Tamarack is the primo firewood.   Most of my family lives on the west side, where maple and oak are common.  I'm looking for a saw with enough power to pull chain over a 28" bar while having a good power to weight ratio, and the durability to justify an $800 saw.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.  I realize the Stihl 440 should probably be in this conversation, but I'm shopping for orange right now. ;)

logwalker

Welcome to the group. Where are you at in eastern Oregon?

You might consider the Solo in the 81cc size. I just picked up 2 for my neighbors chainsaw  mill. They are nearly the same as the Dolmars and go out the door for $695. They have a 2year commercial warranty included. I bought a Dolmar 6400 awhile back and I am very happy with it.     Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

WildDog

Hi Cooter, welcome to the group.

Can't comment on the full wrap, but I have a fairly new 372xp and have already spoke to my wife about buying another one before Husky stop making them.

In my 2 local husky dealers there is a used 575 in each store for sale but no 372's.

Last month I spent 4 days swinging of a 390xp and 395xp in a 100 year old pine plantation, "both brilliant saws", this is the 1st time I have cut pine, haveing only ever cut Aussie hardwoods which tests a saw, i would of liked to had a go at some hardwoods with both saws. We did seem to be re-fueling a heck of a lot though.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Cut4fun

I dont see how the 372xp 70.7cc and 372xpw 74.66cc with full wraps and west coast large dawgs could be 1.3lbs different.  I have the 372xpw (or as I like to call them 375's) in half wrap and small dawgs and they are the same weights.

The solo 681 is a powerhouse in stock form, just make sure you can get the parts.

Also check out the Univent 375 from Baileys that can be sold online. Looks just like a Husky 375.

Cooter

Thanks for the replies.  I've got a quality saw shop in my area that deals Husky, so that's why I'm not looking at other brands.  If I was buying from a mail order business, then maybe I'd expand the scope of my search a bit.

It IS hard to believe that west coast dawgs and a full wrap handle could be another 1.3lbs, but that's what Bailey's shows, and that's what the owner of my local saw shop said too.

Can anyone speak to the differences between the high and low air filters?  It's my understanding that the tall filters take longer to clog up, so they allow for more continuous cutting before cleaning.  But how do the two different filter styles clean up, and is the tall filter really necessary with Husky's air injection system?  Any differences in sub-freezing weather? I assume that I could swap an XP filter and cover onto a West Coast if I wanted too?

zackman1801

Quote from: Cut4fun on August 08, 2008, 07:06:50 PM
Looks just like a Husky 375.
thats because it is. ive seen some threads on other websites where people look over the saw and find husqvarna numbers trademarks and the little black tag that says its serial number, the date of manf., and has the husqvarna logos. basically a rebranded saw.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Cooter

Why the discounted price then?  Does Husky have their newbies learning to build saws under a different label or something?  Out of spec parts that can't be used Husky labeled saws?  I have no idea, just brainstorming.

Rocky_J

First off to answer the original question, Husky tends to be quite optimistic in their published weight numbers. I think the only way to reach their published numbers on some saws is to remove the bar, chain and side cover. Bailey's is probably just being more realistic in their published number.

The only mechanical difference betweeen the 372xp and 372xpw is that the xpw uses the 75cc piston and jug also found on Husky's concrete saw. It's all Husky parts, just borrowed from a sibling is all.

Cooter, you are so far off base that I don't know what to tell you.  ::)

Urbicide

On the 372XPW saw, the "W" indicates that it is has a full-wrap handle. If the saw model does not have a "W" suffix, such as the 372XP, then it has the traditional half-wrap handle. If a Husqvarna saw model has a "G" suffix, such as 372XPG, it indicates that the saw has electrically heated handles.

As mentioned in responses above, the 372XPW is a 75 cc saw, as opposed to the 70.7 cc's of a 372XP.  Both are excellent saws. If both are woodsported, the 75cc version is reported to be the stronger of the 2.

The 372's are destined to become history here in the US in the very near future. Things will be really shakened up in 2010 when the next stringent set of EPA regulations goes into effect. You can say goodbye to a lot of good saws that are available today. This includes saws from all of the manufacturers. I would recommend picking up a few nice saws, if your money allows, and simply put them up for your future needs. pull_smiley

Cooter

Quote from: Rocky_J on August 12, 2008, 08:04:59 AM

Cooter, you are so far off base that I don't know what to tell you.  ::)

I'm shopping for a new saw, and specifically looking at the 372xp-----------how's that off base?  The 372 is praised for it's power, durability, and power to weight ratio.  If it's uniformly raved about, how is considering one for myself  off base?  I already knew that the "W" version had the 375K piston, but considering that a larger displacement (slight that it is) makes the same HP as the 71.7cc version, I was questioning the design of the motor, and if there were other differences besides the extra 3cc.  It would seem to be slightly detuned somehow.

I honestly don't have experience with Husky air filters, so I asked if the tall filter was really worth the cost/profile.

The 385xp is a respected saw, although I read somewhere about lower rod bearings giving up early for one user.  If the 390 is basically a 385 with an extra 5cc, more power, and less weight, what am I missing there?  If considering power to weight again, the 390xp is better in that respect than the 372(5)xpw, is it not?   I realize that Husky may be "optimistic" with their numbers, hence the title of this thread I started.  That's why I refer to the Bailey's website rather than Husky's.

I don't like to make mistakes when purchasing higher end products, so I came here looking for answers.  For my needs, I see a 372 as being close to perfect.  I'd like to follow up with a 346xp.  If I'm off base, I'd appreciate knowing how, rather than just having it vaguely pointed out.  I'm a big boy, so please enlighten.

Cooter

Thanks Urbicide for the heads-up about pending EPA regulations.  I read that there was a small panic when 372xp had almost disappeared a couple years ago.  Since the saw is available again, I want to get at least one.  I wasn't sure if the 75cc version was introduced to the US market simply as a means of importing more 372s, and if so, whether I should consider the original 71.7cc model to be superior.

It's truly a shame that strong, proven products end up being regulated into obsoletion, or cut from the lineup by corporate bean counters.

Rocky_J

Cooter,
My previous comment that you quoted was in response to reply #6 in this thread. Everything you wrote in that post is false.

beenthere

Rocky
Looks like he had 3 questions...not statements.

Except for the last one...""I have no idea, just brainstorming.""

Were all three answers to the three questions "false" ??

Just curious.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cooter

Quote from: Rocky_J on August 12, 2008, 03:39:55 PM
Cooter,
My previous comment that you quoted was in response to reply #6 in this thread. Everything you wrote in that post is false.

OK, that clarifies a lot.  I found the old thread about Univent and I'm now up to speed.  And as pointed out, those were questions, not statements.  I never asserted that I had the first clue why a Husky saw wore a Univent sticker.

Cooter

Enough talk.  I just went to my local Husky shop and bought their last 372XPW.  It'll be set up by Thursday when I get back to town.  8)

LeeB

There you go, Cooter. Thats what you wanted to do anyway ain't? :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

timberfaller390

Ain't nothing like a brand new play purty
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Cooter

Yeah, I'm pretty excited.  I ordered it with a 30" bar and Oregon chain.  I didn't talk chain specifics, other than I didn't want skip.  The shop owner has 50+ years woods experience so I'm trusting his judgement.  I'll give the specs and take a glory shot when I bring her home.

I know that's a lot of bar, and most of the timber around here doesn't need that much reach (at least to be legal on public land) but I'm used to 28-32" for saving my back while limbing---------I'm tall and uh, lazy (work smarter, not harder ;) ).   A 30" gives the saw a slight nose-heavy feel even with the heavier west coast powerhead.  I think I'll be happy.  I'll probably buy a 24" later on, for more power, a different balance, and added versatility.

I have to leave town at o'dark thirty, but will make it back on Thursday before the shop closes.  I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas now. ;D

SawTroll

Quote from: Cooter on August 12, 2008, 02:32:36 PM
Thanks Urbicide for the heads-up about pending EPA regulations.  I read that there was a small panic when 372xp had almost disappeared a couple years ago.  Since the saw is available again, I want to get at least one.  I wasn't sure if the 75cc version was introduced to the US market simply as a means of importing more 372s, and if so, whether I should consider the original 71.7cc model to be superior.

It's truly a shame that strong, proven products end up being regulated into obsoletion, or cut from the lineup by corporate bean counters.

There never was a 71.7cc version - 70.7 is the correct number.

The 75cc piston is based on the cutoff saw one, but is ported differently - the latest (2008) specs I saw was .1kw up from the 70.7cc one.

I also am pretty sure that there exist xpws with the original 70.7cc engine - the 75cc version is fairly new.

The true weight difference should be what the full wrap, larger dawgs and high filter/cover accounts for - no more (the xp specs is with the low filter/cover, even though most saws are sold with the high one in the US).

Baileys weight for the 75cc xpw is the same that Madsens used to quote for their 70.7cc xpws in the past.........
The regular xp weights a tad more than the specs tell you, but nowhere near that Madsens/Baileys number.
Information collector.

Urbicide

Congratulations, Cooter, on the new Husky!  Always run fresh mix made with premium fuel and with top quality 2-sroke oil and you will be good for a long time. The # 1 rule of chainsaw ownership is Never loan out your saws! (Btw I edited my earlier post to re-state 70.7 cc's for the 372XP. Sorry for the brain fart.)

Cut4fun

Quote from: Urbicide on August 13, 2008, 01:06:29 PM
(Btw I edited my earlier post to re-state 70.7 cc's for the 372XP. Sorry for the brain fart.)

I seen the mistake but knew what you meant so I didnt bring it up after you posted, so there was no reason to point it out imo.

Cooter, enjoy the saw and if she ever needs more power down the road, woods porting takes on a whole new meaning to those saws  8).

Cooter

Saw Troll---I'm not going to worry about the weight numbers anymore.  When I picked up my new 372xpw today, there was an older 372xp in for repairs.  It had a full wrap handle, but a low filter cover.  With the same length bar I couldn't tell a difference in weight.  My saw was built in '08.  I picked up an '07 catalog and noticed that the 372 wasn't in the lineup.  It's nice to see that consumer pressure made a difference in this case.

Urbicide---Roger the primo fuel and oil.  I'll use Husky XP oil (black bottle) for now.  I may try a synthetic someday after break in.  And I can guarantee that I won't be loaning my saw to anyone.  I'd much rather donate my time while using my saw than trust that someone will take the same care of if that I will.

Cut4Fun---I'll consider the Woods Port.  I'm going to run it stock while I log some miles (pun) and learn how it cuts.  After it's well broken in, I'll consider a muffler mod and carb adjust.  More cool air and fuel being sucked in will keep the engine cooler and build more power, but honestly I'm really not too anxious to hotrod a saw that may end up being discontinued if the EPA keeps screwing with everyone's happiness.  I'm after longevity.  If I get the itch for more power, I may take a look at a 390 or 395. 

My local saw shop has a 346xp (green cap/cat model) that I handled today when I picked up my 372.  I liked how light and handy it felt.  I could very well end up getting a smaller saw next time instead.   A non-cat muffler, black cap, and new decal could make the local saw a good buy.

SawTroll

Quote from: Cooter on August 15, 2008, 02:09:25 AM
Saw Troll---I'm not going to worry about the weight numbers anymore.  When I picked up my new 372xpw today, there was an older 372xp in for repairs.  It had a full wrap handle, but a low filter cover.  With the same length bar I couldn't tell a difference in weight.  .....

I believe you, and wouldn't either - my point was that the difference is smaller than Huskys specs on the xp and Baileys specs on the xpw indicate........
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!