The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Need to pick a saw  (Read 11196 times)

Offline underdog

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Need to pick a saw
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2008, 11:59:14 AM »
Ok  :P now we are getting down to it.
HUSQVARNA 357XP     4.4 hp  12# - 57cc = 600.00
Dolmar 5100S           4 hp     11# - 50.7cc = 400.00

Then lets try and see where this one fits in--   Solo 656   11.7# - 4.4 hp - 56cc = 530.00 
                                                                        Anyone have an opinion on this saw??

See its all about wants and needs ;D
Yes both of these fit my needs. both have been getting high praises. Would be nice to test drive each.
All agree 18" and 16" bar are a good match for either saw.

boss hoss: That was a good story.

Offline Cut4fun

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2008, 12:40:32 PM »
Underdog do you need a sales and service type saw dealer? If so take in to consideration how far they are and if they are dependable to work with. I drive past a stihl dealer close by to go to one twice as far to get people that understand. or are you going Internet?

How far is the Stihl dealer? Husky? Jonsered? Dolmar?

If you are going to pay $600 for a new 357 you better test drive the stihl 361 too, just to see the likes and dislikes (you will find them like I did). I sold my used one for $375 and it only had the 3 hole muffler mod and was a screamer compared to other 361's I have ran.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2008, 12:52:39 PM »
Those are two very nice saws. I suspect the 357 is significantly more saw than the 5100S, but I've never had the chance to use a 5100S. Be forewarned: the 357XP is heavier than the specs indicate (but still a nice, maneuverable saw). If you are at a Husky dealer looking, pick one up, and then pick up the 346XP or the 353. Both of the latter are spec'd at 11 lbs. When I picked them up at a show, and then a 357XP, it sure seemed like a LOT more than 1 lb. difference (of course, the 346 had a 16" bar, and the 357 had an 18 or 20" on it which would make a little difference).

Have you given up on the 346XP (the "New Edition" with the 50.1 cc engine)? It's probably a closer match to the 5100S you are considering. 346XP: 11.0#, 3.7 HP, 50.1 cc  Reportedly has a nice torque band. Seems like a popular saw, both here on the forum, and in my local area.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Cut4fun

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2008, 01:03:26 PM »
If you dont need dealer support. Have you tried Solo?  The 651 I tried cuts just like a 5100 IMO, now I was just test cutting. Then you have the 656 also, both in the weight and below your price range.

Somebody said something about Ace Hardware stores and saws. I bought a HD Stihl filter at a Ace Hardware store the other day. Stihl also sells in Gander Mountain stores too.

Offline Cut4fun

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2008, 01:12:45 PM »
Dont forget the Efco. Really good prices and $6.95 shipping on saws.   Plus , UPS Ground, take an extra 5% discount at checkout on orders over $300.00. Just trying to get you more saw for less money.

http://www.psep.biz/store/efco_chainsaws.htm

Offline cheyenne

• Share Post
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2008, 10:24:32 PM »
what ever you do don't go to a big box store. saws are like women find one that's as good to you as you are to her. i've been running a husky 359 etech 6 days a week for the last 3 yrs and never had a problem & you can run 20 or 24' bar. i run both. the decompression valve is great for us old folk. the only thing i find it won't cut is rocks maybe i need a diamond tooth chain. weighs in at 13 lbs full & great balance. the best advice is like everyone said find a good dealer you trust & do all your business with him chains,bar oil,service,odds & ends. because he will know it and it will pay off in the long run. happy cutting cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Help me pick a saw

Started by Tinbeers on Chainsaws

9 Replies
Last post April 19, 2018, 08:21:30 AM
by Fishnuts2
xx
Why do they pick me

Started by Skytramp on General Board

14 Replies
Last post December 16, 2005, 07:18:52 PM
by tmullen