iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rally for the Republic

Started by Greg, September 01, 2008, 02:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Really wish I could be there.

From the major media outlets, you wouldn't even know this event was going on.

http://www.rallyfortherepublic.com

Anyone up north planning on going to this?
Greg

thedeeredude

I really,really,really,really want to go.  But I cant. :(

beenthere

Thanks
I didn't know it was going on...the secret is out now.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TexasTimbers

Only reason I didn't post it is because I figured it might cause waves. I have hard enough time not doing that as it is. :D

I think I got the first email about it about 3 weeks ago. Whenever you give money to a political campain, especially over a certain amount you get "Insider" info before the public. Just a way to get you to give more I know. ::)

I would love to be there as well. I hope a FFer gets to go and make a report afterward.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Greg

Saw confirmation that the entire event will be covered via cspan 2.

Don't have cable, so guess I'll watch when I can via www.CampaignforLiberty.com

They officially have a sellout, 10,000+ tickets sold, for a cool price of $17.76 each.

8)
Greg

Greg

Well for the three of this following this thread, here's an update  :D

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/02/paul.convention/index.html

"I am not a Democrat, and I am not a Republican, and I say that very proudly today, because I think these two parties are destroying our country," he said.

"He" would be Jesse Ventura, one of the more - you might say - robust, speakers.

Here's hoping we can keep the momentum from this event going and apply continuous pressure up against the embedded dualopoly. I am trying to my part locally here by supporting an Independent for SW Ohio's second district.

http://www.krikorianforcongress.com/

From David Krikorian's web site, his voting principles:

1. Will this bill benefit the American taxpayer?
   2. Can the American taxpayer afford
      this bill?
   3. Does this bill uphold to the Constitution of the United States of America?

Pretty simple, powerful stuff.

Even though you may not live in Ohio, I encourage you to make an online donation to his campaign.

Let us know of good solid Independents/Liberatarian candidates in your area, and we can all try to chip in and help them too!

Cheers,
Greg

DanG

Y'all ain't the only ones following this, just the only ones saying anything. ;)

I don't have any comments to offer about any of the minor parties, but I have an opinion about the overall concept.  After many years of cogitation, I have concluded that we have two too many parties already, and the last thing we need is a third one.  In other words, I think the party system is outmoded, in this day of instant communication, and I'd like to see it go away.  We no longer need an organization to tell us who to vote for, as we can plainly see for ourselves.  I can envision a campaign where all of the candidates who have paid their qualifying fees would have access to Public Television in a series of unmoderated debates, as well as in other formats.   Each candidate would have to stand on his own merits, and wouldn't have to adopt a party platform in order to get support.  I think we would see a huge change, especially in the Legislative Branch.  As it is, many Congressmen are voting against thier conscience out of fear of their party leaders.  If there were no aisle in the chamber, I think we would see more honest legislation coming from there.

I also want to say to all of you who support these fringe parties; Please don't throw away your vote on a candidate who doesn't have a snowball's chance of winning.  There are few things that I can say with absolute certainty, but one of them is that the next President will either be a Democrat or a Republican.  Third party candidates are most always further from the center than either of the major party candidates, and whenever one of them gets a little traction, it usually hands the office to the one who is on the opposite side of center.  Please don't do that to us.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

StorminN

Yes, DanG is right! (but I'm thinking Nader, not Paul)

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Greg

Quote from: DanG on September 03, 2008, 01:52:01 PM
Y'all ain't the only ones following this, just the only ones saying anything. ;)

I don't have any comments to offer about any of the minor parties, but I have an opinion about the overall concept.  After many years of cogitation, I have concluded that we have two too many parties already, and the last thing we need is a third one.  In other words, I think the party system is outmoded, in this day of instant communication, and I'd like to see it go away.  We no longer need an organization to tell us who to vote for, as we can plainly see for ourselves.  I can envision a campaign where all of the candidates who have paid their qualifying fees would have access to Public Television in a series of unmoderated debates, as well as in other formats.   Each candidate would have to stand on his own merits, and wouldn't have to adopt a party platform in order to get support.  I think we would see a huge change, especially in the Legislative Branch.  As it is, many Congressmen are voting against thier conscience out of fear of their party leaders.  If there were no aisle in the chamber, I think we would see more honest legislation coming from there.

I also want to say to all of you who support these fringe parties; Please don't throw away your vote on a candidate who doesn't have a snowball's chance of winning.  There are few things that I can say with absolute certainty, but one of them is that the next President will either be a Democrat or a Republican.  Third party candidates are most always further from the center than either of the major party candidates, and whenever one of them gets a little traction, it usually hands the office to the one who is on the opposite side of center.  Please don't do that to us.

I know what you are saying about wasting a vote on a presidential election when a candiate isn't going to garner but single digits, but I respectfully disagree on not needing alternatives/a third party.

Maybe if the other two parties imploded first, I could agree  ;D  Read what G.Washington had to say about the dangers of too powerful political parties and I think they reflect today's situation to a T.

Alternatives parties running for president is somewhat of a waste of resources, IMO.

But they can be built from the ground up. If a small block of independent or libertarian congressmen of say 5 senators and 20 or so congressman were in place, we'd be in a much better position to wrestle influence away from the divisive far left and far right and address the issues at hand, instead of posturing to hold power.

Its not a black and white on/off world, so why should our government be?

Greg

DanG

I respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement, but I pretty much go along with the rest of what you say, Greg. :D :D  At least we are in agreement that the current two-party system stink's.  Now, if we're stuck with doing business through political parties, then I think there should be more than two, and I agree that the place to start would be on a local level.  The problem I see is in the way Congress is structured.  Right now, the majority party has all the power, via the committees.  The committees are chaired by Majority members, appointed by the Majority leaders, who are selected only by the Majority Caucus.  There is no balance of power there, and the only way a non-majority member can even get a bill considered is to sell his soul in a backroom deal.  He has to agree to an earmark for a Majority power player, or his bill gets no consideration. 

Of course, all of that COULD be upset by a handful of third party members, as you suggested.  What if no party had a majority?  Who would be Speaker and Sen. Majority Leader?  Who would chair the committees?  I don't know the answers, but it sure would be fun to watch! :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thedeeredude

Abe Lincoln was the first Republican president, when the republicans were a third party.  If everyone has the attitude that they cant win, I'm not voting, then who is really throwing away their vote? :)  I respectfully agree with the disagreeable agreed upon notion of agreement ???

Greg

I concur with the disagreement :)

Greg

Ron Wenrich

In our state, third parties and independents must jump through hoops set up by the two party system.  We had a guy try to run as an independent for governor.  The parties have dictated that they only need something like 5,000 signatures to get on the ballot.  The independent only needed 62,500.  What's wrong with this picture?

The other problem is when you get into the legislative mode.  They huddle into their caucuses and tell them how they are supposed to vote.  And like good little lemmings they do what they are told or they will not get their coveted earmarks.

I've voted for many independents and third party candidates for president.  I've always been told to vote for the candidate I feel is best suited for the job.  I don't think I want to vote for someone I deem as being a poor candidate, just because he/she is in a major party.  I look at it as a protest vote, if nothing else.  I have voted for Perot, Paul, and Anderson.  Other notable candidates in the past include T. Roosevelt, , LaFollete and George Wallace.  Its only been recently that third party candidates haven't had as much of a following as before.  Of course, the media doesn't really follow them.

Come to think of it, I haven't ever voted for a candidate that has won the presidency, irrespective of party. 

As far as I'm concerned, the only vote that is thrown away is the one that's not cast.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

TexasTimbers

I agree with the part I like, and disagree with the parts I don't like. I am undecided about the parts I don't understand. The areas where there is a little grayness, I am on the fence about it. The topics you have all semi-agreed upon, I am waffling on those.

Other than that I am in total agreement with you all. But DanG, part of what you describe sounds almost like a perfect recipe for chaos. An unmoderated debate would devolve into bedlam.

Gary_C

Quote from: TexasTimbers on September 03, 2008, 07:13:44 PM
I agree    , and disagree     . I am undecided     I don't understand.   where there is a little grayness, I am on the fence  . The topics you have all semi-agreed upon, I am waffling .

Other than that I am in total agreement with you all.

You have cleared that right up.    :D :D :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

TexasTimbers

I should run for office. ;D

Just kidding I would not even get *to* the vetting part much less through it. :D

thedeeredude

Quote from: Gary_C on September 03, 2008, 07:34:48 PM
Quote from: TexasTimbers on September 03, 2008, 07:13:44 PM
I agree    , and disagree     . I am undecided     I don't understand.   where there is a little grayness, I am on the fence  . The topics you have all semi-agreed upon, I am waffling .

Other than that I am in total agreement with you all.

You have cleared that right up.    :D :D :D :D
???  He talks like a politician. :D ;D

Gary_C

I was one of the lucky ones that have been governed by Jesse Ventura aka The Bobble Head, and can say that many people were absolutely shocked when he won the governors race in Minnesota with straight talk. He was a breath of fresh air in St. Paul and was the third governor in a row that was not endorsed by one of the two major parties.

Both major parties feuded with Ventura and most people believed the rest of those politicians in St Paul richly deserved having Jesse Ventura as governor. However he got rather mean and spiteful in the end and could see that he had worn out his welcome with the voters. There were days when I thought he was the smartest man ever to be governor and days when I thought just the opposite. In the end the opposite days won.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Gary_C on September 03, 2008, 07:57:04 PMThere were days when I thought he was the smartest man ever to be governor and days when I thought just the opposite. In the end the opposite days won.  ;D

This might be a WAG for you because there has been alot of water under the bridge since he was in office, and he has also been lying low since then, but do you think he realizes he didn't handle his adversary's well in the end and that he learned from that and will be able to temper his angst next time?

I am only guessing because I didn't get to see it up close and personal like you did, but my guess is the media and his bitter rivals who lost probably just kept after him relentlessly in order to bait him into that kind of response, knowing his Alpha tiger metality would eventually come through.

thedeeredude

Is there something wrong with Ventura?  Medically speaking?  He can't keep his head still, it seems odd.  He really threw people for a loop getting elected and it was nice to see.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: thedeeredude on September 04, 2008, 06:29:32 PM. . He can't keep his head still, it seems odd.  

I noticed that too since you mention it. Did not think much of it at the time but definately noticed it at the rally speech. When I saw him interviewed the next morning on a talking head show, I cannot remember in hindsight if it was still happening. Might be on youtube.

He was looking old and haggard though. I think I can take him now . . . . . . . NOT!  8)

Thank You Sponsors!