iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Labor Day

Started by Tom, September 01, 2008, 05:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

There is a lot of Political stuff going on in this election period and hurricanes and wars to draw everyone's attention, but, it is also Labor Day.  Labor Day is pretty special.  It's the only day off provided to workers and honored by the Federal Government, whose only purpose is to "Take the Day OFF".  :D

I like it. 

"Let's take the day off!"
"Why?"
"I don't know, do we need a reason?   Let's have a Parade".  :D

Ed_K

Sorry Tom, i took the day off to load the sawmill bunk w/hemlock and wash the truck  ;) .
Ed K

Faron

Huh?!!! We are supposed to take the day off???  Not with my wife around, you won't. :D

By the way, the miniature punching bag was hung there after cracking my head for about the third time on the light fixture.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Norm

Any day I don't have to do the day job is a good day. ;)

Amazingly I was up at 5am to run wiring in the attic of the garage....and enjoyed doing so.  :)

Sawyerfortyish

Come on now Tom labor day means you get to labor for yourself.

Corley5

I only ran two tanks of gas through the saw this morning  ;) ;D, we went to a cookout and horseshoe torney at noon, school shopping for Zach in the afternoon and also picked up tar and brushes to coat the basement walls tomorrow.  This evening I tooked down scaffolding, cleaned up a bit and stacked the left over blocks in the new basement.  Gonna go back to running the saw in morning for a break  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

moonhill

I can't remember the last Labor day I had off.  Self-employed.  The whole family put in a 12+ hour day. Trying to finish the harvest.     Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

WDH

I cut and stacked firewood in all this heat and humidity.  I labored more today than any day in several weeks.  Funny how that works.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

I stayed in and watched the wind and rain all day.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WDH

That sounds peaceful.  I did that last weekend and watched the porch roof leak, that I thought I fixed, leak.

With Hanna coming, looks like that I will get a chance to do that again next weekend :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

Terry, How much rain do you think you will get out of Gustav? Unless something changes we won't have 2/10ths of rain. That's alright though, we got 10+ inches from Faye.   :(   I don't want anymore.   ::)

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Radar67

We had 2 inches in the gauge at 1 pm. It has been raining off and on all day. I figure total will be around 3 or 4 inches.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Tom

Sometimes you just have to take the day off.

I watched Georgia beat Georgia Southern.... again.   They beat them yesterday too.  Rerun, ya know.    Yeah, I keep rooting for Atlanta every time that Sherman comes through too.   One of these days.......... :D :D

Got to watch the flock of turkeys pecking away in the front yard, for about an hour at noon and Momma deer and 4 fawns grazing in the front yard for a half hour at about 6.  That was fun.

Haytrader

Tom,

I think you should take tomorrow off too.

;)
Haytrader

logwalker

Take the whole week off, Tom. You earned it!
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Tom

Yeah, That's a good plan.  :)

beenthere

Quote from: Corley5 on September 01, 2008, 09:56:22 PM
I.............  Gonna go back to running the saw in morning for a break  ;D :)

Lookin like you will hit 90° tomorrow...that's on the 'hot' side for 'up north'.   ::) ::) :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fat olde elf

Wait a minute !!! Last I heard TOM was retired.......I did that 7 years ago (I'm a lot older than TOM.)  In any case I sill honor any and all HOLIDAYS...... I agree that we can labor for ourselves on Labor Day........even if we are retired......I do need to be reminded what day it is once in a while.  Sundays I can figure out, but Monday through Saturday can be confusing.
Not alzheimers not CRS.......Just retired.............I love it.........
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Warbird

Quote from: Faron on September 01, 2008, 07:39:50 PM
Huh?!!! We are supposed to take the day off???  Not with my wife around, you won't. :D

By the way, the miniature punching bag was hung there after cracking my head for about the third time on the light fixture.

Not around my wife, either, Faron.  We got the entire living room painted today.  :)  As for the light fixture thing, I had that same problem.  My solution was to take the entire thing down.  It was rewarding.  ;D

thecfarm

I "worked" around my home yesterday.I keep an area cleaned up going up the driveway.I cut down a few small trees in the spring and just getting around to clean them up.Than I picked up all of the big limbs that had feel out of the trees.Than I took my cheaper lawn mower to the rest.Looks real nice now.The new piece needed to be mowed too.I mowed about an hour on that.Have some rocks to pick up and haul off.I cut a few stumps so the mower would go over them.I really don't call this work.I enjoy seeing things get done outside.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tcsmpsi

Since I don't get paid holidays, "Labor Day" has a bit different connotation.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Weekend_Sawyer

I had a wonderful Labor Day weekend. I left early Friday, went to the cabin in WV Sat and Sun played in my feed lots and worked on blinds. Monday I dug new garbage pit, replaced an old garadge door opener, started excavating for a new set of downstairs steps. Celest and I grilled chicken for dinner and after dinner shelled the last of the black eye and white peas. It was a real nice 3 days off.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

tcsmpsi

Admittedly, I did open the shop about 6:20 am instead of 6, and closed a little earlier than usual on Labor Day.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

pigman

I finished up on Labor day what I started on Sunday and didn't get finished; doing nothing. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

submarinesailor

Does fighting with the wife all weekend count as a holiday or work?

Other than that, I got a lot of work done.  Sanded and painted the bad spots on her car, replaced the valve cover gasket on her car, added her car back onto our insurance policy and mowed all the grass in Madison (5 hours, norm is the cut half each week end).

BTW - while working on the gasket, I broke a bolt off in the head.  And for the first time in 35 years of turning wrenches, I got an easy-out to work right.  Took 3 tries, but it worked.

Bruce

Weekend_Sawyer

Good for you Bruce ... about the bolt I mean ;)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!