iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1950's Electric MALL chainsaw M-3

Started by Ironwood, October 03, 2008, 08:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

HOLY smokes! Has anyone ever seen one of these? I just got one from a scrap yard near Erie (me travels around fer scrap ;D). The owner was really nice. I got to talking to him, and he says "your a wood guy you gotta see this", so out of a mud pile outside in the rain he pulls a MONSTER electric chainsaw. He said when the guy brought it in to scrap he tested it and low and behold it worked. He could stand to see it go for scrap so he threw it outside in a mud puddle :D ::). So I took him on his word and bought it. 25 AMP :o They built them from 1954- through the 1960's. I brought here home sharpened the chain and blew it out w/ air, plugged it iin and SHAZAM, son of a gun it works. They put up to a 48" bar on them, this one is 24". Talk about a boat anchor, this thing is heavy duty! I'll get a picture of it to post here. Original paint and needs a new cord. Must be 30-40 lbs. I like electrics for in shop winter use, on thing for sure it will be QUICK use due to the weight. It didn't even slow down in the test cuts ;D

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/3b46158e37ff092688256b5e00219852/781374281768d9f988256b5f0017ee8d?OpenDocument

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

beenthere

Not only seen one, but have used one often...in the 60's and 70's. Used it at work when processing logs in prep for sawing in the sawmill area.  :)
Has torque, which you feel when first pulling the trigger, but then just drop it in the cut and let the weight assist. Exactly like your site shows (sans the long bar with tip handle).

Nice find.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ironwood

beenthere,  donethat  :D

He had a few more "finds", I'll get around to sharing. One is a liitle Ditch Witch J-20 (20 HP)chassis 4x4, I think I am going to make a SUPER Mini skidder out of it. I will model it after a JD 440 (with a lower center of gravity though). I put a call into a local guy w/ a 45 HP JD dozer motor ;D should be just about right!

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

olyman

been trying to get one off ebay--to use in the basement when you have a piece that wont quite go in the woodstove----some day---

Grawulf

Mall tools must have been cream of the crop in their day........I have a half inch drill that would winch a thousand pound log if you could figure out how to attach a cable to it....
:D

Ironwood

Oly,

I have had GOOD luck w/ older  McColloughs. I have had two that I bought at the flea market, they have held up well. One I cut a HUGE sculpture base out of red oak, that killed it but @#$% did I work it, and in actuallity I was trying to see what it would take to kill it siince I had two. Darn durable, I will try to get the model# for you
(think it was a 302 or 320)

Ironwood

bandmiller2

I had a couple of those old electric chainsaws an old colledge maint dept threw them out only problem they were 400 cycle and didn't care for 60.I have a milwaukee electric chainsaw with a 20" bar 3/8 chain  handy around the mill and well made. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

olyman

bandmiller--they had a old inverter/motor at deeres-------440 three phase in---220 single phase 400 cycle out--i got hold of it--looked at the tag???????  asked a old tool guy at deeres--said the tools it drove were torque monsters---then they went to large rotary screw air compressors. they were afraid guys were going to get electrocuted!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and how!!!

Thank You Sponsors!