The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Getting the most from a log question?  (Read 1847 times)

Offline jdtuttle

• If it's worth doin, it's worth doin right
    • Share Post
Getting the most from a log question?
« on: October 16, 2008, 07:06:19 AM »
Looking for more advice from more experienced sawyers. I have some locust a guy gave me to cut on shares. He wants 4"x6" posts. Another guy wants to buy 4" and 6" 5/4 boards for decking. Some of the logs ar 30" diameter. What I was thinking about doing was making my first cut to flatten the top at least 6" wide. Second cut would be 4" & leave the wane & set aside. Flip the log 180 deg. measure from the bottom up and open the log so I end up with a number divisible by 4, ( 30" - 2" first cut - 4" second cut = 24", flip log measure up 22" first cut, second cut will be 4" this leaves 18" for 3 - 6" cuts). Now I have a log that's sawn through & through. I turn the log 90 Deg & make a 4" cut, this gives me a couple 4"x6" posts with bark on. I will saw 5/4 down until the log is flat on three sides. Turn the log 180 deg and measure up from the bottom so I end up with 5/4 for my last cut. Now I take a 4" + or - cut and get a couple 4"x6" post. At this point I should be able to cut the rest of the log into 5/4 boards down to the deck. The heart is not as rot resistant so I will set these boards aside. Any suggestions, ideas other approaches are welcome.
Thanks,
Jim
PS I know this is hard to read with all the #'s so thanks in advance for your help.  8)
Have a great day

Offline Kansas

• In Memoriam
  • In the mountains of Kansas
    • Share Post
Re: Getting the most from a log question?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 08:22:25 AM »
I think we would cut 5/4 on the opening face for 2 or 3 boards and set that aside to be edged later. Once you have a 4 inch opening face, the next cut will yield  your first board. Rotate 90 degrees and do the same thing. The reason is that the best lumber-the lumber you need for the deck, will come off the outside of the log. Once you get to the third side, you can shoot for a multiple of 6 inch. Once you get the log squared up, you can peel off a few 4 or 6 inch cants that depending on the quality, you can turn into either boards or posts. By doing that, you can get a better feel whats on the inside of that log. A 4x6 can tolerate more knots and problems than a deck board. Also, if you have a cant with a problem, you might be able to peel off some of those 4 inch deck boards, if 6 inches doesnt yield a decent board.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • LT70-Cooks AC-36 edger-boom truck-oliver crawler
    • Share Post
    • Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 12:04:29 PM »
I guess that what I see is missing in your post is how many post do you need. Is it 2 or is 12 that would be a determining factor in how the log is cut. Second which customer is higher on your priority or are they equal. If they are equal is there enough wood in the log for both.

Take a wood crayon and a tape measure and draw it out on the small end of the log. This will allow you to see where each piece is coming from. I do this with customers that have a long list of different cuts that they want from one log. It allows you to change your pattern to put a knot in a less desirable board, rather then in the most important board. I find it makes the customer more comfortable with the milling of high dollar logs as well.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Offline jackpine

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 07:46:07 PM »
In my limited experience with black locust I have found that it wants to move as I saw down into the cant. This means I have to allow for trim cuts to flatten the cant after almost every cut thus not allowing me to pre-plan every board or post. Maybe someone who saws more locust will respond with how they handle it. It is at the northern end of it's range here which may account for it not getting that large and having more tension in the log.

Bill

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Band selection question (boring question but includes bonus pics!)

Started by Piston on Sawmills and Milling

18 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 05:39:58 PM
by barbender
angry
Question for you surveyors (sorry but it's a touchy question)

Started by SwampDonkey on General Board

32 Replies
Last post September 25, 2008, 10:55:40 PM
by cheyenne
xx
Skidder question and a question about Clark skidder

Started by ohiowoodchuck on Forestry and Logging

14 Replies
Last post March 12, 2016, 09:34:50 AM
by oldseabee
xx
New MS 361 Question