iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Remote throttle

Started by bandmiller2, October 19, 2008, 07:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Going to run a remote throttle from the sawyers box to the engine.What I'am planning to do is use 1/8 " braded cable run in 3/8" air brake plastic tube.For a handle I have a parking brake handle the one that locks over center with adjustment on the end knob.Have any of you tried cable in a tube?? how did it work?? I could run bare cable through a couple of pulleys.Boat controls work but I'd have to scrounge ,don't have any now. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

What kind of mill? How are you going to feed the cable in and out as the head goes back and forth.  Seems like a cable that long might not feed good. I put a remote throttle on my B20 using a cord reel and a solenoid off a Dodge diesel that works great, wouldn't be without it anymore.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Swede

I use a solenoid from the door on an Opel Caravan and the wire+tube from a Volvo 240-hood. The Opel stuff has the longest stroke I could find fast.
No money involved. ;)

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Tom

A wire-in-a-tube is how Baker Products handles the throttle. They let the excess cable follow the head of the mill by encasing it in a flexible chase.

Ironwood

I have bought some PTO cable w/ a twist locking mech. They can get them up to 12' or longer, VERY smooth and looks like they would last and last.  They are not cheap, under $100 but are really nice and a value from what I have seen of the marginal cheap ones out there.

ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

GF

I used a small gear motor mounted it in a metal box and added an arm to the shaft and a cable hold down to the box, then used standard throttle cable.  I then use a double pole double throw switch on the cosole to trottle the motor up and down remotely.  Had some solenoids for throttle I bought and used but they required power to them all the time while throttled up, the gear motor only uses power while it throttles up or down.  Got the gear motor from surplus center for $18.

ladylake

The dodge solenoid I use has 2 circuts, one for pull and one for for hold, the hold one only takes one or two amps. The main circut takes lots of amps untill it's pulled all the  way in. I used a low amp soeniod off a Ford car to run the main soleniod.   Gf  which gear motor did you get from Surplus Center?   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

york

frankc,

my mill is a TH-they use a solenoid and run wires with the HYD. hosing-later today,will get the part # of the solenoid....bert
Albert

york

ok-frankc.....the solenoid is a "synchro-start products" mod. # 2001

the p/n was worn off....hope this helps..bert
Albert

bandmiller2

Thanks guys for the advice,I think most of you are refering to bandmills with a moving engine.I've got a ford stationary diesel I'am leaning to an open wire cable and two pulleys [simple mind simple solution].I fear the cable in a plastic tube may fall pray to ice from rain or condensation.Theirs a good return spring on the govenor all i need to do is pull.Frank C.

bandmiller2

Report back,completed the throttle linkage to my stationary ford diesel.Simplicity, a 1/8" bare braded cable run through one small pulley to the adjustable overcenter throttle lever in the sawyers box.Works dandy easy quick and adjustable,will also hook up a remote clutch lever to engage and disengage the power unit clutch.Any mayhem that comes about I can just kick it out of gear such as a hung saw.Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!