The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: marking trees  (Read 5395 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: marking trees
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2008, 07:38:07 PM »
Depending on jurisdiction and public versus private land. I know forestry companies here will let new blood do early silviculture surveys such as planting, survival and pre-commercial thinning assessments. You will not be let loose fresh out of college to do inventory, forest development surveys, harvest layout, trails, marking ..etc. without a big brother looking over the work. However on small woodlots, non industrial, you will often find new graduates doing the work for land owners to develop a management plan. And in some jurisdictions, someone is checking a sample of the work being completed for the woodlot owner. Often it will be folks in a woodlot owner group. But, not everywhere and not all work. Work of summer students studying forestry is often reported by some employers to the University they are attending.  ;)

The first cruise I ever did for a woodlot owner had the logger all upset and saying the wood isn't there. No way it can be right. After the wood was cut the logger said the volume harvested was pretty much the same as the estimate in the cruise and every time I meet the woodlot owner he brags up my work and shakes my hand. I remember the day I presented it to the owner, a full spreadsheet out over the hood of the pickup showing how I calculated the figures. Seems funny now, had to be there I guess. :D

One stand in particular was 80 foot tall large tooth, no canker, straight as a gun barrel. The logger couldn't believe the wood in there even when he was cutting it. :D
Move'n on.

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2008, 11:37:02 PM »
Tom, I think you make a very good point.  When I was doing summer work for BLM, they wouldn't think of letting anyone like me mark wood.  I was just good enough to splash on paint, and measure dbh.  The real foresters told me which trees to mark.  But, what did make a difference is that I could ask questions.

I have seen guys come fresh out of college, and start selling timber or buying timber.  I've also seen guys justify all types of work.  The prescription for the stand is done by taking a good survey of what's on the ground, then plotting that out, and figuring a good direction for the stand.

Unfortunately, private landowners don't want to follow that route.  They want someone to walk through the stand, give a gut reaction, and hold on to their pants seat while they mark the stand.  I've done it myself, and I never liked it.

The best prescription for any landowner is to get a forest inventory, and develop a management plan.  Then timber should be marked after the inventory.  The proficiency of the forester is only as good as the basis of their planning.  I've seen some old foresters that do lousy, or should I say lazy, work.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline pappy19

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 10:33:45 PM »
Like I said, some foresters are better artists than others. No different than any other resource educated person. More has to do with the type of education the mush head received. If it is a college with an enviro/habitat/anti-harvest education, how do you think they will handle their first job as a timber marker? Or their 100th job? Most forestry schools today teach habitat management, not forest management as it is not politically correct to cut trees anymore. It is a sad situation.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Offline Rocky_Ranger

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 08:32:50 PM »
Still politically correct in my neck of the woods, 30 million feet a year (and then some).  Nothing like seeing forest management for future generations in action and doing a darn good job of what we are doing.  The comment on young foresters not marking timber and as to why?  Look at our food joints; minimum wage, young kids (relatively) feeding us meals - now that's scary!
RETIRED!

Offline Rick Alger

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 08:33:04 AM »
Another thing good timber markers do is mark wood with the logger in mind - no leave trees on turns in the trails, small groups of trees instead of random singles where appropriate, straight trails and acute extraction angles etc.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 11:26:47 AM »
Ditto! Mark the trees so that "all activities" of the intended harvest operation can be performed in an efficient and effective manner with the least impact to the landscape and residual stand.

~Ron

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Marking Trees

Started by Good Feller on Forestry and Logging

15 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 12:51:49 PM
by Ron Wenrich
xx
What do you guys charge for marking trees?

Started by GATreeGrower on Ask The Forester

8 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 10:07:20 AM
by banksiana
xx
Help Marking level lines on trees

Started by joejkd on Forestry and Logging

36 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 09:20:43 PM
by Peter Drouin
xx
Marking(Destroying) Line Trees