iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

discovery channels extreme logging

Started by timberfaller390, November 07, 2008, 06:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberfaller390

Anybody know anything about this new show? It's supposed to air Nov. 11 after Dirty jobs. It looks like strictly a mechanized operation but they are working in a swamp, everything has wide tracks and tires.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

I haven't heard about that, but next year they are gonna have a 9 episode series about the golden road logging trucks about 45 minutes from me. I missed my 15 mins. of fame- I was gonnna drive those trucks, but decided not to. :-\
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

timberfaller390

that should be pretty cool. just your luck right bud.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maineloggerkid

Ya, its my luck. I don't expect to here much more about the show, because I think the camera crews have already come and gone. BUt, they like the logging scene up here in Maine, so they may come back for a logging series- I hope. 8)
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

timberfaller390

Quote from: thecfarm on November 08, 2008, 04:21:32 AM
Keep us posted on either show.
I'll be glad to on the one I know about. If I understood the previews it is going to be a series. not sure what part of the south they are working in (guessing Mississippi) but they are defanitly some of our boys. 8) You can't mistake the accent.  :D
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zackman1801

the extreme logging show is going to be about "Swamp logging" i guess logging out trees that are in too much muck to be logged by anyone else. in the commercials it looked like they were making a big mess with the grapple skidders sinking down into the mud and making deep ruts everywhere.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

twobears

yep,and the treehugger will be watching.

dsgsr

Watch it! I'm a tree hugger, I've hugged every tree,, just before I cut it down ;D

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

semologger

I will be watching. Looks like they have alot of big machines on it. I liked axe men alot. But there was only a little on skidding the logs with a skidder and only one cutting machine. I like to watch the machines work. I knew a sawmiller around here that always cut the bottoms. He would set up his mill on the job and use his slabs to build the skid roads out of. He would use cable skidders to pull the logs out. Then if he had long pulls he would bunch up the wood behing the cable rigs and use a 740 john deere grapple shidder. He would move alot of wood. Hes the only one i knew that made skid roads out of slabs.

timberfaller390

It looks like it's going to be a good program, I just hope they show some extensive BMP work to clean up the ruts and everything. I doubt they will though.  :( 
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

semologger

even if they fix the ruts with ground that wet what can it be used for?

okmulch

The ruts can provide channels for the turtles  fish  and alligators to move from one swamp to the next. :D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

timberfaller390

Quote from: semologger on November 09, 2008, 01:28:05 PM
even if they fix the ruts with ground that wet what can it be used for?
Not that I really think it could be used for anything that wet, but all our industry needs is more bad publicity.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

timberfaller390

I thought it was a pretty good show. I can't wait for the mule logging next week.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Don K

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

JimMoore

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

VT_Forestry

I watched it and thought it was a pretty good show.  I've toured a few shovel logging sites in the past, and it's definitely tough to get the wood out.  Unfortunately, all anyone not forestry-related watching that show is going to see is the muddy ruts and environmental "harm" that all that equipment made.  Not good publicity for the industry, that's for sure.  Makes good TV though :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

underdog

That was a good show. I liked there service truck. It was an old beverage trailer. I had not thought of that. You can buy them cheap enough.

chevytaHOE5674

Good show, but it really didn't portray logging as an eco friendly activity. The oil spill that was all over the mud and not cleaned up. Just going to give some environmental  protectionist people more ammunition. 

beenthere

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on November 12, 2008, 01:12:30 PM
Good show, but it really didn't portray logging as an eco friendly activity. The oil spill that was all over the mud and not cleaned up. Just going to give some environmental  protectionist people more ammunition. 

Welcome to the forum, chevytaHOE5674
Likely a well-intentioned purpose to producing the show.. Reminds me a lot of 60-minutes.  Well-calculated production to sway the public viewers to not like the business (in this case logging) being featured. Its a set-up. My opinion.  :)

Any snow yet in that penninsula around Houghton?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: beenthere on November 12, 2008, 01:47:29 PM
Any snow yet in that penninsula around Houghton?

Just a few inches last weekend, raining out now. Supposed to change to snow and continue through next week.

Thank You Sponsors!