iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TJ 230 HERCULES WINCH QUESTION

Started by GRANITEstateMP, November 15, 2008, 03:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRANITEstateMP

We've got an older (74-78ish) TJ 230 that we use around the farm.  It's got a Hercules winch on it and I need a couple of parts and some info on adjusting it.  I know about Nash equipment but I was wondering if anybody know of any parts breakdowns or schematics on the net, I like to have some kind of idea what I'm talking about before I call looking for parts. I tried the JD parts site but only managed to get frusterated.  Thanks

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

a old timberjack

what is it doing? what do u think u need?? give us a try......Brandon
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Arich

The parts man at Nash is a top notch guy, I have no idea where to find diagrams though.

GRANITEstateMP

The hydraulic line that goes into the winch broke so we replaced it and noticed that the "keeper?" part that keeps that block from spinning was bent so we straightened it out and snuged the four I guess you'd call them adjuster bolts because they were just about falling out.  Now I made it two more pulls and twisted the line off again.  The first time we thought it was just cause the line was so old now I know we've got an issue.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Ironman

I sell equipment for Ironmart.com and we sell all these older amchines and we service and repair them as well.  If you call me I will put yu on the phone with one of my mechancis that willhelp you out, fax you diagrams, whatever you need.

Jesse Sewell
888-561-1115
www.ironmart.com
Jesse Sewell
Ironmart Sales
888-561-1115

GRANITEstateMP

Thank you sir, I've got to finish up doing a few things and I'll give ya a call.  I can't thank you enough.

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

MaineLogger

Matt,
You need to take the piston off the side of the winch.The thrust bearing between the piston and pressure plate is gone.
If the winch is still on the machine just lift up this side,loosen all the frame bolts and unbolt the bearer leg and slide it off.Now you can slide off the piston and you will see where the used to be.The bearing side off the piston is going to be chewed up too.
It's a pretty easy fix.
I buy my Timberjack parts from Harold's Logging supply in Hampden Maine.(207)942-8331.
Ask for Randy,He will have eveything you need and know exactly what happened.
Good Luck!
Jon
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

GRANITEstateMP

Thanks for the info MaineLogger, we just got the repair CD from JD Tech in the mail this afternoon.  I'm hoping to get the rig into the shop and dig in on Thanksgiving AM.  It makes sense that some sort of bearing is gone, it's strange that it went form working fine to its current deal so quick but with the winch cover on its toug to see in there and I never thought to try and look at all the spinning parts for slop while working it in the woods or when we had it in the shop the first week or so we had it.

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

Jon,

You were right, the thrust washer is non-existant other than a little bit of the cage thats left.  We took the winch right off to give it a good looking over.  The bearing in the leg could use replacing.  My new question is two part.  The "piston" came off as 1 unit.  It doesn't turn by hand but seems to be all there.  The other part of the question is when I removed the drive and clucth plates for inspection I found a lot of small springs everywhere, one was even imbedded into the non-metal plate!  I don't see those springs in the service manual and the spacing of the springs between the disc was very random.  Thanks again, haven't had a chance to call up to Maine yet, hopefully Monday.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

MaineLogger

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on November 28, 2008, 01:00:37 PM
Jon,

You were right, the thrust washer is non-existant other than a little bit of the cage thats left.  We took the winch right off to give it a good looking over.  The bearing in the leg could use replacing.  My new question is two part.  The "piston" came off as 1 unit.  It doesn't turn by hand but seems to be all there.  The other part of the question is when I removed the drive and clucth plates for inspection I found a lot of small springs everywhere, one was even imbedded into the non-metal plate!  I don't see those springs in the service manual and the spacing of the springs between the disc was very random.  Thanks again, haven't had a chance to call up to Maine yet, hopefully Monday.
Usually the inside of the piston gets chewed up pretty bad,you can buy one half of the piston instead of the whole thing.
I can't remember how many springs per clutch 5 or 6? I would order as many new ones as you need.The springs keep the clutches from hanging up in the grooves,I space the springs equally around the clutches and use the same grooves all the way out.I hope that made sense?
I would replace the leg bearing too.If it's bad it could wreck the end of the shaft and if it's loose it will keep the brake from holding tight.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

GRANITEstateMP

I'll take a closer look at the piston assy. in the morning when I'm down at the shop like I said it looked ok but maybe thats because it didn't have all of the carnage like the rest of the unit.  I figured the springs were there for a reason and that makes sense but the random spacing is what through me off.  I like the idea of using the same 5/6 groove the whole length of the assy.  Thanks again.

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

Jon,

Thanks for putting me in touch with Randy, he was real helpful yesterday and the parts should be in today.  He had everything in stock and explained a couple of other small deals.  Thanks for helping out us novices.

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

MaineLogger

Your welcome Matt.Randy really knows his Timberjacks!
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

Thank You Sponsors!