iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

got hungry. Needed something quick

Started by Tom, January 13, 2009, 09:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I've been sick with a chest congestive bronchial infection for 3 weeks now and spend most of my time in the bed.  This week, the Dr.'s meds have taken  hold, or it is running its course and I've been sitting up most of the day.  Sitting up lets me breathe easier and is a lot more entertaining than lying, propped up, in the bed.

I must really be getting better because, tonight, I found myself starved to death.  Hadn't wanted much of anything for a long time.  I went scavengeng.  On the stove was a frying pan where I had fried a few little pieces of ham and made a sandwich earlier this afternoon.  The little bit of grease and the stickums in the bottom of the pan made me say, Hmmm  what can I do with that. 

Beans!  I need some beans.  I went to the cupboard and found a can of Bush's red beans.  Turning the skillet up, I dumped them in, juice and all.   Then I went looking for Chili Powder.  Didn't have any.  I did find some dehydrated onion and garlic and some cayenne pepper.  So I dusted it with the pepper and put in about a 1/4 teaspoon each of the garlic and onion.

It looked dry, and I knew it would get drier, so I filled the bean can about 1/2 full of water and dumped that in there.   It started to boil.   Smelled pretty good too.

My intentions were to boil it down some and get back to the consistency of what had been in the can.  But, the more I looked at it, the better it looked.  It would make a pretty good bean soup just like that.  So I heated it enough that the dehydrated stuff wasn't dehydrated anymore and dumped it into a bowl.   Man is it good.  Way back in the back of the taste buds, I can taste the ham stickums from the pan.  It is liquid enough that I can get a spoonful of broth.  It feels really good going down.  I can even munch on a spoonfull of beans when I want.

That just goes to prove to me that those canned beans have a lot more flavor in their thickened state than they really need. Maybe I've been hung up on having to chew everything.  This makes a fine and tastey liquid broth/bean soup without any fuss or muss or smarts.   I think I would have been as happy with it thinned twice as much.  Maybe next time, I'll put a whole can of water in there.  :D

This is really satisfying.  :)

Sprucegum

8) You Go Tom  8)

Just watch out fer them beans when ya cough  :-X

fstedy

As Sprucegum said ya don't need a suprise. Definition of a surprise ( a lump in a F :D :D t ).
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

olyman

Quote from: fstedy on January 14, 2009, 03:04:32 PM
As Sprucegum said ya don't need a suprise. Definition of a surprise ( a lump in a F :D :D t ).
:D :D :D oh my!!! much better that than runny--

Tom

I was actually right proud of my impromptu meal. It was delicious.  I didn't foresee the conversation turning to excrement.

ohsoloco

That soup sounds tasty Tom.  A lot of my favorite foods are simple dishes that are put together with just a few ingredients.  I always have a few cans of beans in the pantry, may have to try something like this....bet it would be great on a cold day like today  :)

SwampDonkey

I bake my own, make some coleslaw, maybe a biscuit.  Ya only got half started Tom. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

I have to be careful of things like coleslaw and cabbage type meals. my coumadin is combatted by "K" vegetables.  Those are the ones that cause clotting and Cabbage type plants are the worse to deal with.

I do love a cabbage and yearn for a  Rubin sandwich now and again.

I'm not so sure that you would call thes "Bush" red beans, baked.  They look to me  more like a pot of beans that was boiled down on top of the stove.  They aren't sweet.  I would think of them as the beans that would be used to make a bowl of Red Beans and Rice.  What I found so great about them is that they are condensed and needn't be used in the state that you find them when you open the can.  That is a unique trait for most commercially canned vegetables.  Some soups are sold as condensed.  This just turned out to be condensed enough that the addition of water made it a soup.  That was great for my time frame.  I had a spicy, flavorable bean soup in just 5 minutes and find that I could have extended it even further with the addition of more water without hurting the flavor.  Least I think so and will try it next time.  :)

semologger

I ve been having problems with my lungs lately also Tom. For around 3 weeks also. Bronchitus can keep ya down thats for sure. When you have asthma dont help.

I had red hot beans tonight in ground deer burger. I thru in some cheeder cheese and picante sauce and put in a tortilla shell. I was going to just use refried beans but the smashed up reds worked out good. I think I will start trying some differnt stuff with them myself.

ErikC

Before I got married I ate something similar all the time. Only I was eating a lot of deer meat in it. I cooked the meat in a skillet a little, then did just about what you said. I liked it pretty well, it was my best dish ;D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Cabbage is about the only fresh greens you have up here in the north, aside from all the exotics being trucked in or green house grown. I have been using it a lot the last few months instead of purchasing those expensive imports. About the only exception I would make would be for spinach, broccoli if I'm desperate.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!