Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: skip the ethanol  (Read 9107 times)

Offline shinnlinger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: skip the ethanol
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 03:09:21 AM »
Hi,

What if you had some small engines you suspected you "ethonolaled" in the fall and havent run in a while.   You did the ScottAR water to gas test and found them to be excessive water?  Would a simple drain and replace before running be a sufficient fix, or should you pull a valve cover and drizzle some more oil on the valve stems or something???
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Offline ScottAR

• Senior Member x2
  • eat mo' ribs...
    • Share Post
    • n/a
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 12:44:17 AM »
Drain tank, change fuel filter, and maybe clean the carb out. 
Oil change wouldn't hurt anything either... 

If somthing don't sound right on startup, start inspecting...

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Online bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 06:02:14 AM »
A little off topic but close.I've got four older deere 2cyl tractors that used to start first compression but with the newer gas their hard starting and once the plugs get wet game over.Seems theirs no light end to the gas now.Have any of you guys noticed this with your older rolling stock?Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • LT70-Cooks AC-36 edger-boom truck-oliver crawler
    • Share Post
    • Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 11:50:36 PM »
Well there has been to major fuel changes since that motor was built. They liked the old leaded gas, You take away the lead and add a water absorbing additive to the fuel and they do not like to run the same. Try to find non ethanol supper and that should help. Off road gas for off road vehicles.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Offline Captain

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 06:40:13 AM »
Frank, I would think it is a fuel volitility issue.  Winter fuel (highter volatility) on a warm day any better?

Captain

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Share Post
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 11:05:49 AM »
My dad had a John Deere riding mower with a 20hp kawasaki v-twin.  It dropped or bent a push rod 3 times in the last two years he was alive.  JD dealer kept accusing him of shutting it off at full throttle and causing a back fire. 

My Zero-turn with the 25 HP Kawasaki backfires EVERYTIME I turn it off no matter what the throttle is set at.
Hidden Acres Farm
Been there, done that.   Never got caught

Wood-Mizer LT40HDG38
Lucas Dedicated 60" Slabber

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 12:54:59 PM »
Dr B
Check that the fuel shut-off is working...sounds like it is not.

Should have it if it is fuel injection.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 01:26:35 PM »
My dad had a John Deere riding mower with a 20hp kawasaki v-twin.  It dropped or bent a push rod 3 times in the last two years he was alive.  JD dealer kept accusing him of shutting it off at full throttle and causing a back fire. 

My Zero-turn with the 25 HP Kawasaki backfires EVERYTIME I turn it off no matter what the throttle is set at.

There is a fuel shutoff solenoid built into the carb. Shuts off the main jet when you turn off the ignition. It's probably stuck open with gum left from evaporated fuel or corroded from water in the ethanol.  Look on the side of the carburator.If you see a small wire attached, pull it off with the engine running. The engine should die immediately, if it doesn't the shutoff valve is stuck....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Online bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 05:42:33 AM »
Cappy, even in warmer weather the tractors don't start like they used to.They put something in the fuel so it won;t evaporate into the atmosphere as easily.I'll try to find high test without alky and try that .DanG old tractors I don't want to spoil them,they'll want the good stuff all the time.Frank C.

A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 02:37:08 PM »
The reason that some (not all) high test gas does not have ethanol in it is that when some states were considering mandating ethanol, various groups lobbied to make sure non-ethanol gas was still available. [Some piston aircraft can run on auto gas, but ethanol is definitely prohibited. It's a problem for marine use (ethanol eats some fiberglass fuel tanks, and many boat engines sit longer than cars between use, giving the ethanol more time to suck moisture out of the air). Two cycle engines have a tougher time with ethanol.] Premium gas was picked because it's already something of a "specialty gas" - and because few people run premium in their cars, so making it free stil tended to maximize the use of ethanol-laced gas.

Don't be fooled into thinking that all premium gas is ethanol-free. It's a function of what that state's regs say. And even in some states that allow ethanol free premium gas, they don't necessarily prohibit ethanol in premium gas.

I'm fortunate in my area - even though most gas stations have around 10% ethanol in everything they sell, there are one or two who get their gas from Canada without any ethanol, and a small airport that sells ethanol-free premium auto gas (they don't stock aviation gas). I make a point to buy all my chainsaw gas from one of these sources.

John Mc

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 12:08:14 AM »
One more thing to worrry about ::) Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline Mad Professor

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 12:39:29 AM »
I've been running high octane in all of my gas equipment. I've been told that there is no ethanol in the high grades, but cannot verify. Mid grade is a blend of high octane and regular, so I avoid it also.

Don't know who told you that but all auto fuel sold in mASSachusetts is "oxygenated", a.k.a. "corn fed" up to 10% ethanol.

Ethanol will react with aluminum or magnesium (more so) so it will also eat up uncoated fuel tanks and carb parts. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Skip, Semi-Skip vs. Full Comp?

Started by Mark M on Chainsaws

6 Replies
Last post March 13, 2004, 09:13:28 AM
by Stan
xx
Skip Or Non Skip Chain On A Ported 372 With A 28 Inch Bar ?

Started by gsrsol84mm on Chainsaws

14 Replies
Last post October 31, 2013, 01:05:26 PM
by ehp
xx
Skip chain

Started by aom on Chainsaws

11 Replies
Last post January 03, 2006, 04:40:47 AM
by SawTroll
xx
skip tooth