The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 18, 2018, this space displayed 13 Million, 871 Thousand and 87 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: New Blades  (Read 4370 times)

Offline Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Shade Custom Sawing
Re: New Blades
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 06:57:03 AM »
It's not an error, our fearless leader around here, likes to expand our vocubulary from time to time by doing word substitutions in the software.

Just wait until there's a yooper night! :-)

Yep, there's a lot of knowledge here, but we have fun while passing it around.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Offline Blairgowrie

• Share Post
Re: New Blades
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 10:19:52 AM »
Hi Campy,

I used to get my blades sharpened by an Amish fellow but it was a real pain because he lives 30 miles away and would never have them ready when he said he would. Eventually he moved back to Ohio from Ontario and I decided there and then to see if I could find a used sharpener and setter.

I checked all the websites for a period in time but eventually found what I was looking for from another Amish gent who makes sharpeners and setters. He had one used set in excellent condition that he let me have for $700. His new ones were about 3 times that price. They are high quality, well built sharpeners and sharpen the gullet and the tip.

My first attempt at sharpening was pretty dismal. The blades smoked and would dive into the log. So I went over to another Amish who I have known for years and he saws for a living. He came over and spent a few minutes looking at it. He said the cam was not tracking the blade profile properly and asked if I had a grinder. After a couple of minutes work, he had the the stone tracking the profile exactly. He reshaped the stone and adjusted the hook angle from 12 degrees to 9. He sharpened a blade for me and then watched while I did one. Total time away from home was 3 hours for him. I tried to pay him $50 for his time but all he would accept was $20. I now do a fair job of sharpening.

Like you, I don't saw for a living and only in the summer.  But I have always wanted a sharpener and a setter. If you hunt around you should be able to find something similar at a reasonable price. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Bandsaw Blades - Who sends sample blades to try out?

Started by Ozarkian on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 06:50:08 PM
by Magicman
xx
Band saw blades vs circle saw blades

Started by Arkyrick on Sawmills and Milling

24 Replies
Last post February 17, 2017, 07:55:52 AM
by longtime lurker
xx
Peterson Blades, vs Lucas Blades