TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Woodmizer demo  (Read 6373 times)

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
    • Share Post
Re: Woodmizer demo
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 09:52:58 AM »
It bounced all over the place when they moved the head back and forth and up and down. Not in the cut though, as far as I could tell. Just when it was moving real fast.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Offline TheWoodsman

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 10:30:45 AM »
In the first foot and a half of the cut, it appeared to start straight, drop in the cut, and then straighten out and the bouncing subsided.  I watched some guys check the boards with a tape as they witnessed the same thing.

Sooooo, did you buy a mill ?  A saw a young fellow with parent in tow go to the office to speak with a salesman and thought maybe it was you.

Edit:  answered my own question when I saw your thread.  Congrats ! 8)
2009 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, WM-DH4000 dry kiln, & lots of other great "toys"

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

Offline sparks

• Sponsor
  • Woodmizer Electrical Tech
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 01:14:17 PM »
Woodsman, what time did you get to the show? I've been told they cut on the mills until lunch. At that time they put the lathe on the LT28 and the lap sider on the LT40 to demo those. There's a short time to do everything so they try to do as much cutting before lunch.  At the end of the show they did take the lap sider off and finished off some cants.
Give the sales guys a call. They may have someone in your area that has a mill they can show you or possibly we can bring one to your location if you're really interested.   Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
  • Pro-Sawyer Mary and Bibbyman
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 02:37:34 PM »
Excellent point. 

While it’s nice to go to a forestry show or factory sponsored demo and see the new mills and find out about all the options,  it’s also good to go talk to a couple of owners and get their input. 

Wood-Mizer can fix you up with a couple of people willing to demo their mills and, more important, give you valuable clues as to how they are using them.  I’d try to find a couple of owners that are using the same size mill as you’re thinking about and using it similar to how you intend to use it – be it for your own use, part time business custom sawing, or full time production.

When I was first looking at mills,  I had my choices narrowed down to two manufactures.  Wood-Mizer gave me three contacts to visit with.  I visited with two and talked to the third on the phone.  The other company said they had a guy with a mill in my area but didn’t think he would be a good contact.   That in itself narrowed my choice down to one – Wood-Mizer.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Offline sparks

• Sponsor
  • Woodmizer Electrical Tech
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 03:13:56 PM »
Here is the response from Dave Mann, Sale Manager:

We started the demos around 9am and made a “full round” (round #1) starting with LOGS on all mills.  Order of demo was from smallest to largest…so LT10, LT15, LT28 (complete with Loading the log with the winch, made cuts and rotated with the turner and winch), then the LT40HD (with the NEW Simple Set), then the LT70HDD55-RX (new Yanmar) and the Twin Blade Edger with the 21 Yanmar.  THEN … we started over again (Round #2 - around 10:15), LT10, LT15, LT28 (still cutting log to lumber), then cut more on the LT40HDG28 till down to a 6” cant.  Took the cant off the mill and demonstrated packing it up for travel.   Then Re Set it up. Then on to the LT70 again with the Twin Blade Edger.   

As far as the jumping 70 … Probably talking about the engaging and disengaging and the fact that it is set up on concrete so not on ground that can absorb the shock of log movement, etc.   Of course the beauty of the cantilever design is that it is not a rigid but portable mill for set up almost anywhere buy design.  The finished lumber pile looked fine.

Then we broke for lunch around 10:50-11:00  After lunch 11:40 we demonstrated (round #3) the LT10 again, LT15, LT28 WITH LatheMizer attachment (guys switched this out during lunch), then the LT40HDG28 WITH the Shingle Lap sider (and the remaining cant from earlier demo), then the LT70 again (finished up log #2) to wrap up the demo time.

The demo started at 9am.  My guess is … you probably arrived sometime after 10:30 or so.

We apologize for not still having logs on the mills at that time but suggest you give us a call and we would be willing to arrange for a demo possibly even at your place since several of our guys live down that way.  Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Offline TheWoodsman

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 04:05:47 PM »
You are correct.  I was unable to get there early.  It was probably 11 or later and then I stayed to the end.  I'm in the middle of a job but plan to arrange a demo soon.
2009 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, WM-DH4000 dry kiln, & lots of other great "toys"

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Poston's Woodmizer DEMO DAY!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on Sawmills and Milling

23 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 04:25:51 AM
by Meadows Miller
xx
Woodmizer demo at UNC Asheville

Started by Seaman on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post March 01, 2014, 09:13:28 PM
by Seaman