The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: New Mill  (Read 2318 times)

Offline firefighter

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
New Mill
« on: February 01, 2009, 09:27:21 PM »
I dont know if this is the right spot for this but here goes .I purchased a new ill from Peterson it is a WPF model .I have never owned a mill and am looking forwared to this ,I have read the coments on this forum and they are great . I will be getting it in June and am very excited any coments about milling would be great .Peterson was very helpful .I work for the Ontario MNR as a firefighter in the summer and it will be a great thing to do in the fall when I am off.

Online Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
Re: New Mill
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 09:35:30 PM »
congrats on the new mill. 8) Keep us posted when you get some wood sawn up. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 10:20:49 PM »
Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on selecting a fine sawmill! 8) 8) :)  I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.  There is a lot of info here on using Peterson mills and swingmills in general, as well as lumber and business tips that you will find useful.  Jump in and help us teach and learn! :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline Meadows Miller

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Find a Job You Love & You Will Never Work Another Day In Your Life
  • The Walkabout Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 05:17:31 AM »
Gday

Welcome to the forum Firefighter  ;D 8) and A big congrats on the new Peterson you picked a dang good bit of gear Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) What size did you get  ??? You have come to the right place and feel free to Pull up a pack and hava chat anytime mate  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 05:47:05 AM »
Welcome firefighter,ask Peterson who has a mill in your area,visit them mayby work with them learn tricks.When your mill comes you can hit the ground running.You can learn alot from watching outher sawyers,also what not to do.Their are fixtures to load and hold logs outhers use you can duplicate or improve on.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline ErikC

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Erik Cordtz Enterprises
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 12:08:36 PM »
  I have an older style Peterson WPF. It's been great. Tell us more about the details of your machine.   ( motor, blade size etc.) And welcome to the forum!
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 01:17:05 PM »
Welcome FF, you just be a neighbor, keep reading and posting and let us know when you get your mill.
LT40HD, 742b Bobcat, Sthil v170,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Share Post
    • Tom Sawyer Sawmill
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 05:44:55 PM »
I purchased a new ill from Peterson it is a WPF model .

You are right.  You have acquired a sickness that will last the rest of your life - sawdust on the brain 8)  Where in Ontario are you located?

Tom

Offline firefighter

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 07:36:22 PM »
The mill is a standard1.2 meter (4feet)diam frame ,8 inch cut with a 27hp Kohler I also got the HI/LOtrack frame upgrade and electric raising winch .I pick up the mill in Ft Francis at the sawtech show in Ft Frances ontario in June. i live in Pembroke Ontario i will get some training at the show . Look forward to going to this show to see  what other milling equiptment is out there.

Offline Meadows Miller

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Find a Job You Love & You Will Never Work Another Day In Your Life
  • The Walkabout Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 08:21:25 PM »
Gday

That Addictions allready bitten you Mate  ;) :D :D you are allready seeing what else is out there to add to your operation  ;) :D :D ;D ;D

Nice spec on the Mill you only need the wide frame if your gonna be cutting large logs often  ;) you will find the People from Petersons great to deal with  ;D ;D 8) 8)

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter