The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: New saw - Husqvarna 357?  (Read 3265 times)

Offline PineNut

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
New saw - Husqvarna 357?
« on: February 25, 2009, 02:31:44 PM »
I am looking for a new saw in addition to my Huskie 455 Rancher. Right now it is down for a chain tension screw. No big deal but the local dealer is out of stock. Seems that is always the case when I need it. Looking for an additional saw and would like to move up in the quality.  I am considering the Huskie 357 XP. Want to run a 3/8 .050 gauge chain on a 20 bar. The 357 seems a little lighter and a little more powerful than the 455. That is about the largest saw I feel that I would need. My cutting is logs and firewood for personal use plus the usual cleanup jobs that are always present. 

Would consider a Stihl but the last time I was by their local outlet, they did not even seem to care that I existed.

Any recommendations as to the suitability of this saw?

Offline Troutfisher

• Share Post
Re: New saw - Husqvarna 357?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 03:06:39 PM »
I like the 357xp, it has steel springs for av mounts, non-cat muffler, it'll pull a 20" bar, and it's light.

Offline Cut4fun

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 03:28:09 PM »
I like the 357 also. Only complaint is the chain tensioner and that it dont like to stay upright in the bed of a truck.

On your 455 just pull bar out tight and up and tighten the bar nuts till you get her fixed.

Offline PineNut

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 03:30:53 PM »

I tried that but it doesnt work. I have the tool less adjuster which only has one nut and that is difficult to get tight. Just will not hold it.

Offline woodburner

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 09:59:16 PM »
I have a 357xp and it runs great, powerful saw with low weight. I run a 20" bar and it does not have any trouble at all pulling it.

Offline PineNut

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 10:06:08 PM »
Thanks woodburner.

I plan to order one Monday. The local dealer doesnt stock them as he says the local market will not support a quality saw due to the price. Specs look good on it and I am looking to move up to a higher quality saw than the Rancher 455 I now have.

Offline Old_Hickory

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 10:11:57 PM »
Pinenut  i have a good 372 xp you might be interested in
gotta love those XP saws

Offline kderby

• Western Juniper Sawmill
    • Share Post
    • junipersawmill.com
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
I purchased a 357 based on the lighter weight and the size of material I expected to cut.  A friend later told me, "A pro would never buy a saw with under 4 cubic inches of displacement."  I have since purchasd two 372xp and I love them.  When you lay a 372 on a twenty inch log and watch it glide through, the 357 seems like it is for whittling.  I think it is a safety issue as well.  I cut faster with the 372 so I spend less time bent over running a saw.  Zip, the cut is done, let the clean up begin!

If you can step up to the larger saw...You won't be disappointed.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 01:14:10 PM »
I purchased a 357 based on the lighter weight and the size of material I expected to cut.  A friend later told me, "A pro would never buy a saw with under 4 cubic inches of displacement."

I'd guess that depends on what you're cutting. Out in your area, you probably regularly run into much larger trees, and on a more regular basis than we normally see here in the Northeast US. I see a fair number of pros whose main "go to saw" is a 357xp - some of them with a 16" bar. Of course, if they were regularly cutting 18-20" and up trees, they'd probably step up to something bigger, particularly in our slow-grown hardwoods. As it is, a lot of the local talent has found that saving the weight to be more of a safety/efficiency/fatigue benefit than shaving a bit off the cut time with a larger saw.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline PineNut

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 02:40:41 PM »
I am still leaning toward the 357. Yes there are some of the larger trees up to about 30 I find occasionally but I dont spend much time cutting anything over about 16. I figure that when comparing it to the 455 Rancher, it will be about 1 pound lighter and 1 hp more. That seems a good compromise for me.

Offline Old_Hickory

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 02:45:24 PM »
PineNut  how would you like it to be about a pound lighter than  your 455  and have 2 more horsepower
gotta love those XP saws

Offline SawTroll

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 03:44:49 PM »
I am still leaning toward the 357. Yes there are some of the larger trees up to about 30 I find occasionally but I dont spend much time cutting anything over about 16. I figure that when comparing it to the 455 Rancher, it will be about 1 pound lighter and 1 hp more. That seems a good compromise for me.

It is not a pound lighter - weight specs is very optimistic on the 357xp and 359.
Information collector.

Offline Bill_G

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
357 is a great little saw, light plenty of power to cut with although not as fast as bigger saws. I find I would rather take a little longer in the cut and not lug a heavy saw to limb with. I guess it all depends how young you are . I run one with 20" bar and have not met a tree that scared it yet.

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 05:25:06 AM »
A 357 will wiegh around 17.5 to 18# full of fuel with the bar and chain, a 372 will be a little over 20. That extra couple of pounds make a big difference as we get older. I find myself running my 50cc 15# saw way more than my 20# 70cc saw or my 18# 67cc saw. I did some timed cuts a while back.
50cc  = 23 seconds
67cc = 20
70cc= 19
That's not a huge difference to me and 5# sure is.   Steve
Timberking B20 14000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline Meadows Miller

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Find a Job You Love & You Will Never Work Another Day In Your Life
  • The Walkabout Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 08:16:40 AM »
Gday

Pinenut Ive got a new 359 with a 18 bar about 20 months ago  ;) ;D and have only done about 1000 ton of pine falling/limbing with it since and about 100 cords of firewood and jus have to say I love it  ;D ;D 8) 8) I have also droped aheap of trees between 2 and 4' Dia  ;) I got it because it has the highest Rpm & Tourqe
heres some stats for pine falling over here to take into account  ;) ;D

Time spent Falling 20% Limbing 60% Bucking 15% Other fueling sharpening ect 5%
Just remember if the log isnt supporting the saw your carying it  ;) :D ;D ;)
Good luck Mate

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Husqvarna 285CD & Husqvarna 375K concrete saw

Started by Coach on For Sale

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 12:30:04 AM
by hacknchop
xx
272 husqvarna

Started by Timbercruiser on Chainsaws

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2014, 08:20:35 PM
by CTYank