The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: SAFETY GLASSES!  (Read 10505 times)

Offline thedeeredude

• Senior Member x2
  • RufusRuffcut and Sawtooth to da races!
    • Share Post
Re: SAFETY GLASSES!
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 07:52:54 PM »
Well blast WDH beat me to it :D  How bout ones that never scratch or they have a radio transmitter in them so you can remember where you set them down ;D

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 07:56:30 PM »
Welcome JackSchaffer! I love the Ben Meadwos catalog. 8) I think WDH has got the most important thing. I have many safety glasses, and the thing most likely to make me not wear them is when they fog up and I can't see. I just picked up a couple of pairs at the Stihl dealer this weekend. One clear, and one smoke tinted. I haven't worn them enough to tell yet, but the Stihl glasses seem to be of better optic quality with less fogging than the cheaper hardware store variety. The clear cheapies give me all sorts of distortion, which also leads to not wearing them.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 11:01:57 PM »
The best pair I have came with my DeWalt framing gun.  I've been guarding them carefully for over 4 years now.  They have a few scratches, but they still have the best quality optics of any of them.

Back in the 70s, the phone company suddenly issued safety glasses to everyone.  We had one guy who flatly refused to wear them, and he finally left.  Wouldn't ya know, he was the only guy we had who just had one eye. ??? ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline JackSchaffer

• Share Post
    • Ben Meadows
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 12:43:21 PM »
Good input, thanks.

I've tried comparing the anti-fog qualities of most of the safety glasses we carry.  Some of them that have an anti-fog coating work okay, but it's not hard to fog them up out in a humid woods!  Cleaning a lens that has an anti-fog coating with an anti-fog wipe worked a little better. 

I can't say I've compared anti-scratch properties.  I usually either lose them or sit on them before the scratches get too bad. 

I'll check into some of the good ones mentioned. 

Jack Schaffer
Product Manager
Ben Meadows

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 04:39:30 PM »
Ones I use for brush cutting have mesh screen. You can't use goggle types or those hard plastic things unless your not human and don't sweat and steam in an out door environment with rain, high humidity and heat. Not just any mesh screen, a fine screen. Too course and the finer chips go right through. I also got some waste band and made a type of flexi-band strap to hold them on my face so the brush doesn't slap them off my face.  ;D
Move'n on.

Offline Raphael

• Senior Member x2
  • Willing and able to do a boring job.
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 12:44:58 PM »
I got my from the local optometrist....
Some sort of advanced (sunsensor) polycarbonate.  They've held up much better and cause less distortion problems than anything I've purchased "over the counter".
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
 --Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Offline ErikC

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Erik Cordtz Enterprises
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 11:42:24 PM »
 I like the glasses sold by stihl, they seem about as comfortable as wrap around style sunglasses, no distortion I noticed. Not cheap for safety glasses, but still only 12-15 bucks. When I run the mill or brush-cutter I wear a faceshield and earmuffs combo, the faceshield is mesh and it is pretty nice, good visibility and no moisture. It isn't a real good one, Woodys I think, but nice enough and around 20-25 bucks.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 12:31:01 PM »
I've used them shields Erik, but the finer brush saw dust comes up under, and in our northern latitude they are hard to see through from late September on with the low sun causing glare. I wear ear plugs in summer, and can wear the muffs in winter, but too hot in summer for me. Lots of guys do wear them here though as well as the shields. Water runs off me like rain in the summer and early fall.
Move'n on.

Offline ErikC

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Erik Cordtz Enterprises
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 12:58:19 PM »
 The muffs are a little hot in summer, but earplugs don't seem to work as good. I see chips and sawdust and all kinds of debris bouncing off that shield all the time, so I do like having my whole face covered anyway. We don't have high humidity, in the summer it can be under 10% most of the time. That makes all the difference.  But no smoking or we'll all burn up! :o
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 01:14:03 PM »
 :D :D :D

I don't smoke, but almost every bush whacker I work with does. But, our summers are not supper dry, last year we had 30 % more rain than normal. Carry ansil packs and pith-cans. There was water laying everywhere last summer even on the best growing ground. Had to be on a side hill to keep your feet dry. :D  I prefer a little bit of hill, them trees drop nice and easy when you trip'm. ;D I know some folks can't stand earplugs, some folks get ear infections easy. I never has an ear ache in my life. Aside from the odd bush knocking a plug out, I like them quite well. Not those ones you squeeze and roll between your fingers, the ones with the little stems on them. ;D
Move'n on.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2009, 01:20:51 PM »
These little guys. ;D

A little flattened by the scanner maybe. ;)
Move'n on.

Offline DWM II

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2009, 03:32:11 PM »
Yep, those are my favorite ear plugs, got a pair hanging on the sawmill, tractor, lawnmower, weedeater, etc.  I do have my favorite pair of safety glasses also, their a very slight tint indoor and outdoor kinda thing. Just dark enough to cut the outdoor glare and light enough to wear inside.
Stewardship Counts!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2009, 03:43:20 PM »
DWM, can't you get a kind of necklace thing that attaches to the tip of the stem, so if it falls out of your ear it ain't lost in the saw dust or leaves? I usually grab about 50 from the saw dealer each spring and stuff in my saw tool kit.
Move'n on.

Offline DWM II

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2009, 06:55:16 PM »
All mine are attached to a string, thats how I tie'em to each piece of equipment so I dont have an excuse for not wearing them. :)
Stewardship Counts!

Offline chipsfly09

• Share Post
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2009, 05:19:57 PM »
The more I pay for them- the quicker I lose them or break them-- All fog up-- especially under welding helmet or while sawing-- I still try to find a pair to wear.  My dad keeps telling me to get a pair of glasses with clear lenses to wear all the time to get used to keeping them on and have eye protection all the time.  In addition to being more diligent about wearing protective chaps (after seeing the carved up ham in the "no chaps" demo) I'm going to do better with the glasses-- ok with hearing protection and s toe boots-- hope everyone will !  Thanks forum

Offline Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Shade Custom Sawing
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2009, 06:39:48 PM »
i've kind of taken a liking to the dewalt safety glasses.

I was tinkering today trying to hand cut a dovetail, and while wacking a section with a chisel, the safetly glass took a direct hit!  saved me a hassle dealign wtih that :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Offline Climber

• Full Member x2
  • Quick, Clean & Safe
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 12:33:58 AM »
Best safety glasses are "Black Widow" from Stihl. They come in dark, slightly smoked and yellow. They never fall down, no matter what.
I like them so much I even skiing with them.

I buying by boxes (10 pares) so all my guys using them too. I'm paing $80 for a box.
Try you WILL love it.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Safety glasses at the mill

Started by warren46 on Sawmills and Milling

28 Replies
Last post May 15, 2014, 12:05:31 AM
by ST Ranch
xx
Safety glasses wanted

Started by Jim_Rogers on Health and Safety

5 Replies
Last post January 12, 2013, 01:49:52 PM
by beenthere