iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Physics or Forestry

Started by GlennPagano, March 16, 2009, 08:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlennPagano

Well right now I am senior in high school and wanted to major in physics but then changed my major to forestry because I love the outdoors and trees.  Then my parents talked me into changing my major back to physics because they think I will be wasting my brain being a forester (do not agree at all), plus I wont get paid as well.  I know these answers will probley be biased but what do you think is a better major?  How much do foresters get paid right out of college?  Is forestry a good soild family supporting career choice?

Ron Scott

Note the thread below: "Is Forestry a Viable Career Anymore". 
~Ron

crtreedude

To speak to the question - go for the money, or something you really enjoy. First of all, do some volunteer work with a forester to make sure you know what the job actually is - it might be different than you think, or you might have it pegged. Make sure.

When I was young in High School I was sure I wanted to be a Forest Ranger. However, way too many people had the same idea - so I didn't. No point doing the schooling and everything and still not able to do the job due to none available.  :-\

Now, because I went the route of earning money, I own more than 700 acres of a mix of plantations and jungle in the tropics. So, I get to play being a Forest Ranger.  ;D But, without having to deal with those pesky tourist...

My hobby is enjoying the forest - owning a company involved in bring back rain forest makes it easier. And, for some reason, the owner doesn't care if I have a degree...  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

BrandonTN

Hey Glenn!
You could combine physics and forestry by working in wood technologies. I've seen many wood technology courses have physics as pre-requisites. You could even go further with a graduate degree in something related to wood technology....or you could always get an undergrad degree in forestry, then a master's in physics.

I imagine being hired by a private wood technology company as an engineer would most likely earn you a big salary. Money was an issue for me when I was deciding, but I went w/ my gut and today I'm loving it, and b/c I'm loving it, I know I'm gonna do just fine financially.

But I'd check out that other thread mentioned above, and follow crtreedude's advice: call up the nearest state forester and go talk with him/her.

There's a book about forestry careers I bought a few years ago when I was in the same boat you're in: sitting on the fence about what direction I wanted to go in school. The book is called "Opportunities in Forestry Careers" by Christopher Wille. I found it to be simple and informative about the different types of forestry work, about the infrastructure of government forestry departments, and about private industry.
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

BaldBob

I graduated in forestry and though the pay in that profession is less than I would have earned with a physics degree, today I am retired with a very comfortable income. Re using your brain with a forestry degree:  My forestry career was interrupted for a while  by a stint in the military where I worked a considerable amount in rocket propelled weapons development and acquisition.  Based on my experience, forestry isn't rocket science, IT'S MUCH MORE COMPLEX.
Also a little anecdote - while attending Navy OCS I was ordered one evening to report for a meeting.  When I got to the room, there were about 100 other Naval Officer Candidates there. A Navy Captain from outside the command addressed us. He first asked " How many of you are Physics Graduates?"  about 1/3 of the Officer Candidates raised their hands. He then asked "How many Math graduates?"  about another third raised their hands. He then in sequence inquired as to Mechanical Engineers, Chemical Engineers, Aeronautical Engineers, and Civil Engineers - each category having fewer responders, but together they made up the rest of the audience, except for me. I raised my hand when he asked "Did I miss anybody?"  When my response to his question about what my major was, was "Forest Management". He looked incredulous, asked my name and quickly consulted the list of candidates in front of him. He then asked about how many math, physics and chemistry courses I had taken and to what level. He was satisfied with my answers, though still a little perplexed, and told me that I belonged there.  It turned out that he was recruiting for Admiral Rickover's Nuclear Submarine program.  I declined the offer as it required about  a seven year active duty commitment. I did however stay in the Reserves after release from active duty and retired as a Captain.

BrandonTN

Great story, Bob! Go forestry!  8)
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

CounselorJ

Quote from: GlennPagano on March 16, 2009, 08:01:10 PM
Well right now I am senior in high school and wanted to major in physics but then changed my major to forestry because I love the outdoors and trees.  Then my parents talked me into changing my major back to physics because they think I will be wasting my brain being a forester (do not agree at all), plus I wont get paid as well.  I know these answers will probley be biased but what do you think is a better major?  How much do foresters get paid right out of college?  Is forestry a good soild family supporting career choice?

Check out the "Advanced Engineered Wood Composites Center" at the University of Maine.  Might be a great way to combine the two disciplines for you. 

http://www.aewc.umaine.edu/

SwampDonkey

Some people might consider measuring tree heights, physics. Rocket science at least. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

madhatte

Quote from: BaldBob on March 17, 2009, 02:31:13 PMIt turned out that he was recruiting for Admiral Rickover's Nuclear Submarine program.  I declined the offer as it required about  a seven year active duty commitment. I did however stay in the Reserves after release from active duty and retired as a Captain.

Heh.  I was a Navy Nuke for 7 years. 

baronthered

I posted in another thread about the degrees I have (electrical and mechanical engineer, Forestry and natural resource mangement) and the degrees I'm working on now just for kicks (civil and minig engineering) and all of them seem to help the others an dmuch of the same knowledge and coursework helps be more creative and better at solving problems in other areas. I'd say why not do both? You're already going to be there. One thing about college is it is a job in itself and takes a good bit of time to get everything done and do a good job of it.
Life's short make fun of it!

petefrom bearswamp

An old mentor of mine  (now deceased )  told me, his son and a close friend when we three embarked on an adventure to the NYS Ranger School in March of 1958, that if you go here, and pursue a career in forestry, don't do it for the money but for the love of the profession.
This was the best advice i (at age 20) ever received.
The going was tough but I wouldn't trade it for all the gold in the world.
If you would like to talk, email me and I'll give you my phone # and I will wax eloquent about the attributes of this program.
Pete

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SwampDonkey

To get into UNB forestry we had to take chemistry and physics grade 10-12, we also took calculus (but optional in grade 12) and in University we took chemistry and physics again the first year. The Physics was more for the Forest Engineers , but some principals I used on my first job after graduation for road design and location on hill sides (deflection points) and a little surveying such as tight chaining horizontal distances,  recording road surveys (yup there is  a proper methodology to note taking), bridge site plans, profiles. There were some folks calling themselves engineers, but in reality they were technologists, most not even certified at the time. I think the rules have tightened up a bit in BC.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chainspinrunner

I was in the same position, I graduated high school and worked dead end jobs for 2 years untill I became a logger and then realized just how great of a profession it is. Today is my last day of class for a 2 yr. associates degree as a Forest Technician at PAul Smith's College. I am returning to obtain my bachelors in Industrial Forest Operations.

All I can say is that if you love the outdoors as much as you say then the woods is where you belong! It's a great living!
Grose

petefrom bearswamp

Good for you chainspinrunner!
Best of luck in your forestry related endeavors
Smitties is good, but as you can guess by my previous post I am partial to Ranger School
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

mdvaden

Quote from: GlennPagano on March 16, 2009, 08:01:10 PM

You thought about canopy science?

It's a small niche, but I think that those who really enjoy getting their hands dirty may do well.

:P

steveforest

I always advise people to make a living doing something they really love doing, if possible. I love playing in the woods, but being a forester is completely different from that. I am an electrician and play in my woods on the weekend.
Don't mess with success

tstex

Perform a general survey of the following:

Determine what $/yr you want/need and then ask all the people that make that amt are they happy with their job, both in physics and physics related occupations.

Then ask all the Forestry guys are you happy with your job and does the pay cover your lifestyle?

Then assess the two above and do the math...

There have been some good suggestions with combined alternatives.  Every time I see the movie, "Jeremiah Johnson", I knew I was born in the wrong era..."hell, he's already there..."

Good luck,
tstex

As the old saying goes, "find a job you love and you will never work a day in your life".

T

Samuel

Take the Physics now as it will help you later if you pursue forestry after high school.  Having experienced the 'Ranger School" in Fredericton, I must say that the physics, chemistry, stats, and calculus made those early Saturday morning and late Wed night classes a heck of a lot easier.

Its good advice to do some drive a longs with forestry folks also.  ..
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

maple flats

I say do what most interests you. If you get a degree in something you truly love to do, you won't have to work a day in your life.
I worked my whole life, owned businesses, covered over 1/3 of the state and did fairly well. IT WAS WORK. Then at 51 I sold the last business and started doing what interested me. That is why I make maple syrup, saw lumber, grow blueberries and a few other things. When I tire of one thing I just turn to something else. Now I play, don't ever work and I am having a great time and I make just as much money as I ever did. All while doing what I enjoy.
Whichever you decide, mom and dad will come around and be happy you are doing a job you truly enjoy. Realize to that money is important but certainly is not everything. You might drive a chevy instead of a Beamer for a sunday drive while your P/u is resting for the day, but who cares. Both pay a decent living as long as you are good at what you do and are a go getter. Go for it!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

beenthere

glennpagano hasn't posted since he started this thread almost a year ago.

I wonder how he is doing now? He hasn't been on the forum for about that long as well.

Hope he followed some of the advice he rec'd, but likely didn't read.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!