The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Fire boots  (Read 12390 times)

Offline NHHillbilly

• Share Post
Re: Fire boots
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 03:29:52 PM »
Nicks custom boots.  Bought a pair at camp when mine failed.  Tough on the feet for a few days but they came into it.  go with the lace to toe option if you can.  One thing I wish I had Done.
LT40hdg28

Offline Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Shade Custom Sawing
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 05:40:27 PM »
what does the lace to toe do for you?  keep the shoe tighter to your foot?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Offline Rocky_Ranger

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 08:17:44 PM »
There is just something not right when paying over $200.00 for a pair pf boots, even nowadays.  I've had one kind of boot or another  - and engaged in fire since the mid-1970's but still don't have a favorite brand.  The best ones were the ones that didn't hurt my feet.  I've thrown Danner's in the trash, refused to buy White's, had some good luck with Red Wings, some with Chippewa, some with Merrell's, and am currently wearing Rocky's.  I don't get out all that much anymore, but still do Rx burns and some fireline work, and the Rocky's have been extremely comfortable.   I don't like the lace to toe, nor steel toes.  I like the tongue flaps to keep out limbs, and by all means if you are going to be on the fireline get the Vibrams and use leather laces.  Most will come with cotton or some polyester crap, throw it away and get ya some leather laces.  Just my humble opinion..........
RETIRED!

Offline pappy19

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 09:49:48 PM »
There is just something not right when paying over $200.00 for a pair pf boots, even nowadays.  I've had one kind of boot or another  - and engaged in fire since the mid-1970's but still don't have a favorite brand.  The best ones were the ones that didn't hurt my feet.  I've thrown Danner's in the trash, refused to buy White's, had some good luck with Red Wings, some with Chippewa, some with Merrell's, and am currently wearing Rocky's.  I don't get out all that much anymore, but still do Rx burns and some fireline work, and the Rocky's have been extremely comfortable.   I don't like the lace to toe, nor steel toes.  I like the tongue flaps to keep out limbs, and by all means if you are going to be on the fireline get the Vibrams and use leather laces.  Most will come with cotton or some polyester crap, throw it away and get ya some leather laces.  Just my humble opinion..........

Lets see, by my calculations, you could have bought 2 pairs of white's for what you have paid for all those other boots that didn't work out. so much for not wanting a pair of Whites. At $350, they will last you at least 2-3 years of hard fire fighting in the mountains and then pay another $150 to rebuild them to original condition after that; if you do indeed wear them out. sure as hell, you won't wear them out in Arkansas. Again, leather laces will rot and break, nylon laces will last and last.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Offline Rocky_Ranger

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 07:22:29 AM »
Yes, except by my calculations - that's 30+ years of firefighting.  Keep your whites - also, nylon will burn/melt, not allowed in our fire management program.  Our Rx burns are hotter than most wildfires anyway. 

I should have said I believe in keeping a woman a lifetime and the trading of my boots.  It is far easier to pay for boots. <grin>.
RETIRED!

Offline woodtroll

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 11:17:38 AM »
The ankle support on the high end boots (nick's or whites) is great. The price is hard to swallow. My boss (wife) did not buy the math of expensive boots till I handed her a worn out pair of cheap boots in a year. The tread wore off, ankle leather shot. The boot could not be rebuilt. We went back to good boots. I have put a lot of hard wear in the Ozark hills, (ever bit as rough as the west) steep hills and sharp rocks. Plus the mid western humidity will rot your boots out. I would think rebuild able boots would be a plus.
My last pug for Nick's they have excellent costumer service, They called and made sure of all my sizes, answered all my questions, and do not skimp on quality. If you think your White's are tough hold them side by side to Nick's.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 11:54:42 AM »
Get the best boot that you can afford, it's a front end investment on your feet which will get a work out, especially if you will spend long hours on the fire line in steep, rugged terrain. There are often quick flights in to the fire, but long walks out after a days stress on the feet.

To quote the U.S. Forest Service: "The Forest Service will provide you Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) clothing, hardhat and fire shelter, but you must provide your own lug soled, leather eight-inch topped boots."

What they mean is that your boots should be at least 8" high. We think higher is better since it offers more protection and doesn't add much weight... most of the weight in boots is in the tough sole and heel... so you can add a bit more height for protection without adding much weight.

The U.S. Forest Service Health and Safety Code Handbook (FSH 6709.11) Section 25.12 specifies the requirements for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to be worn by personnel engaged in wildland firefighting. Here's the requirement it sets for the boots firefighters must provide: "Boots. Wear heavy-duty, leather, laced boots with nonskid soles and tops at least 8 inches (204 mm) high. Steel-toed (metal cup) footwear is not recommended for fire suppression." The handbook also specifies that fireproof pants be bloused over boots to protect legs against hot ash and cinders.

The Bureau of Land Management safety handbook says that soles must be "melt-resistant": "Personnel assigned to fires must wear 8-inch high, lace-type exterior leather work boots with non-slip, Vibram-type, melt-resistant soles."

Here's what the Fish and Wildlife Service has to say: "You must wear heavy duty, all leather, lace-type work boots with non-slip (Vibram type) melt-resistant soles and heels when working on fires. The leather top must be at least 8 inches (20.3 cm) in height, measured from the top of the heel."

~Ron

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
breaking in boots, work boots,

Started by drobertson on General Board

13 Replies
Last post December 02, 2013, 02:39:56 PM
by pappy19
xx
2014 Fire Fighting Unit-South Carolina-Wildland Fire

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on General Board

38 Replies
Last post August 13, 2016, 01:08:42 PM
by POSTON WIDEHEAD