iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Housesitting Question

Started by dail_h, March 29, 2009, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

Mornin,Guys & Gals
   I have a question re housesitting,and don't seem to be able to find any info. We're going to be renegosiating my contract for this job here in WV this week. One of the items is housesitting,and I have no idea how to price it. I don't want to cheat myself or the owner. I knew sombody on here would have experience,and know how to figure this .
  What's involved,keep heat in winter,owb,simple daily cleaning,and mainly a physical presence here. This is a pretty remote site,and once the local druggies realize noone is staying here,the place would be stripped in a coupla days.
   So what'du think?????????????

Thanks Dail
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Warbird

When I have folks watch my house, it is only for a week or two at a time when we are traveling.  The latest time was a friend who just built a cabin with a couple of other friends.  They all live in it and have no running water.  He was so happy to have running water, showers, washer/dryer, and a TV, he flat out wouldn't take any money.  I was only trying to give him $40 in addition to the nice coffee and treats we brought back for him.  He took that stuff but refused the cash.

The way he looked at it, he got free rent for more than a week, plus all the amenities.  So IMO, if yer gonna charge this guy, I wouldn't charge much because you are getting a free place to live.

I hope this rambling opinion helps you.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Don't know what to tell ya. I never heard of anyone charging for house sitting. My uncle looks after his cousins' place across the pasture and gets $400 for mowing with their mower. He doesn't stay in the house, just keeps an eye on the place and has a timer that turns lights on in the evening.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

breederman

Sounds like property management to me.I charge by the hour for checking on, mowing the lawn etc.
Together we got this !

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D

Not everyone has an uncle that would work for next to nothing. Well work is a strong word, being busy for a few moments would be more descriptive. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

If a person receives compensation for "house-sitting", how much liability is there if something is missed?  and damage occurs? Something to think on.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Dail, are you housesitting, or caretaking?  If you're living in the house in exchange for maintaining it, then that's a fair deal in itself.  If you're not living in it, then charge him the same rate you get for cutting his wood.  Look at it this way.  You're not getting any wood cut while you're mowing his grass or stoking his furnace, so that is what the time is costing you.  If you have to be there 24/7 for security, then charge him for that too.  If you gotta be there on the weekends to protect his property for him, you should be compensated for it.

In the end though, do what you feel is fair to both of you.  Your situation seems a bit unique, and I doubt you will find anyone who has been in that exact same circumstance.  If you did, how would you know if their fees were fair?  Just use common sense, considering all the factors you can think of, and pick a high figure to start the negotiation. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kcwoodbutcher

I have a friend that does this on a regular basis, but there are always pets involved. She charges at least $200.00 or more a week depending on how many animals are involved. To the homeowner this is a good deal because kennel costs are high and they have someone to watch the house. She has a place of her own so this isn't considered free rent.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

HOOF-ER

Been doing this for a friend. He wants someone there eve-morn. I have never charged him. Always worry that something would happen to the place while it is in my care. Lots of animals and expensive stuff. It should be worth considerable amount , just for their peace of mind. ;)
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

SwampDonkey

I'm glad I live where I do. I could park a $300 car in the yard and be gone for months and never worry. :D

beenthere

Prolly no one would have to worry about a $300 car, no matter where in the world it was left.   :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

:D :D

Also the house would be safe to. The neighbors around here aren't much for visiting, I could be a rotten corpse from heart failure.  :D

jdtuttle

We had some people house sit for us once. Never do it again. It was a young family recommended to us by a friend. They were just starting out, two young children and the husband fresh out of the military. All they had to do was pay for the oil they used, electricity, and phone. We were gone for one year. When we came home the house was literally trashed. We stored some nice floor rugs and asked them not to use them, they were ruined. There were dirty diapers all over the house & we couldn't even see the floors. The oil was gone. Electric bill & phone bills not payed and ready to be shut-off. Did I mentioned they were watching my shepard too. He apparentlt beat her according to a neighbor. I am still looking for the scum. This happened over ten years ago & it's still a real sore point with me, so I apologize for ranting. But I would still like to find this guy!
My advice would be to find a family member or rent it out through a realtor & charge a very high deposit. 
Best of luck,
Jim
Have a great day

Dale Hatfield

WE paid 20 a day for mowing grass,feeding and dogs .As this person was family lived in the house and used my truck .And was welcome to any and all food in the house.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

wi woodcutter

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 31, 2009, 11:07:52 AM

Also the house would be safe to. The neighbors around here aren't much for visiting, I could be a rotten corpse from heart failure.  :D

So 'Donk if we don't hear from you for a few days we should be worried? :D :D
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

dail_h

Hey guys,didn't mean to start this,and disapear/ Just been invaded by a bunch of garillas from MD. Morons and idiots everywhere,house torn asunder,stuff in disaray,I'm ready ta go on a killin spree. Halfwit plumbers,hogpen carpenters,general maniacs everywhere,its enuff ta make a fellow say spit way afore noontime.
   Dang kinda hit the nail when he said it was unique. Been sawing and doing carpenter work on this job for about a year and a half. I live in the house while in WV,watch out for stuff,deal with all the people goin and commin necesary to a construction job. I find supplies and tradesmen for the things we can't do ourselves,all for pay. Thin is ,now cause of the economy,we're shutting down the job,but the owner wants me to stay here ,watch the place,and saw ,or do carpenters work as funds become available.
   I don't need it as a place to stay,still have my home in NC,just don't know what's fair to charge just for the time I'm housesitting. I have his permission,like I needed it to work outside while we're not workin here,he just wants someone here.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Ironmower

Sounds like you're here! ;D  you didn't see the new WV welcome signs: gorillas, thieves, halfwits & deadbeats wanted! :D :D I care-take over a dozen homes, lawncare, maintance, install docks & boats and winterize. Plus I make myself present once or twice a week, this I don't charge for, simply because I feel that this will get me more work in the long run (so far so good) ;) :) The best advice I can give you is price it so you can sleep at night ;) Treat others as you want others to treat you. :) .............But keep the barrel clean as we've been invaded by people with no morales >:(
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Thank You Sponsors!