iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hudson Sawmill

Started by Pondman, April 02, 2009, 11:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pondman

Hi All

I am getting ready to buy my first sawmill. Is hudson a good sawmill ? Do any of you have a hudson an if so, how do you like it. Or is woodmizer the better sawmill ?

Dan_Shade

I used to own a Hud-Son Oscar 28, I'd recommend and LT15 vice the Hud-son.

What is your intended end purpose?

the problem with those little mills, is they really kill your production, you spend all of your time sawing logs, and no time using the lumber.

Which model are you looking into?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Pondman

Looking at the Oscar 228 Portable Sawmill

The intended purpose for this to saw a few logs now an then. As I build all my bee keeping supplys an other things.

Dan_Shade

I recommend going to a show, and finding a few local folks with mills in the range you're considering.   Spending a day with the mill that you are considering lets you see many of the pros and cons of it.

where are you located?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Pondman, you have the perfect opportunity coming up to check out a whole bunch of mills and rub shoulders with those guys that run them. Many guys from the Forestry forum will be there.   SAWLEX 2009 will be in your state at the end of May.
http://www.huggercom.com/sawlex/

May 29–30, 2009
Mylan Park
Morgantown, West Virginia
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Radar67

I have an Oscar 28 and I like it. It does what it is suppose to do, although it can be slow. It is definetly a hobby sawmill.

I'll continue to use it, but if I had it to do over again, I would have found a used Woodmizer LT15. My future goal is to either build my own swing mill, or find a Peterson 10 inch WPF.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Ironwood

I agree with all posts, BUT don't forget the Norwood. VERY good value in a mill. I have used all the fore mentioned, LT-15, Timber Harvester, LT 70, Hudson (not good at all IMHO), and Norwood. I bought the Norwood. I dont want, need, or can afford full hydrualic. The Norwood and LT 15 are value based mills that you could decide to make some money w/ down the road, but you wont feel as "pressed" to do so as you didn't spend that much $$$ capital.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

MartyParsons

Wood-Mizer will be in West Virginia Saturday and Sunday at Mineral Wells, WV  Lawn and Garden show at the Fair grounds in Mineral Wells. We will have a LT15G15 running. We will also be at the Sawlex show in Morgantown, WV May 29-30
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

WDH

I have no experience with a Hudson, but I have lots with the LT 15.  It is built like a tank, cuts perfectly accurately, has great re-sale, and is hands down one of the best small manual mills out there.  They have been around a long time with a proven track record.  Hard to beat that.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Foxtrapper

After driving 3 hours one way to look at a Hudson, I came home with an empty truck.  I didn't like the setup on them at all....anyone with minor welding ability could build a better mill for alot less money. 

I ended up with a home built rig I bought off ebay for half the money, which will soon be making sawdust I hope 8).
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Ironwood

I have driven by the Hudson "factory" many times (usually once a year on the way to the Adirondack Museum show) and I too have never been impressed. If there price was lower perhaps, but you can get a Norwood or LT 15 for a much better value.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

cilley

Hi everybody...........just have to jump in here..........i have a Hud-Son farm boss 36......and I have no complaints.........maybe the smaller units are not what the 36 is.........I would love to have a wm!!!!!!!!..........but I just cant justify the price for what I do..........I can say I looked at most of the mills out there before I bought...........I was impressed with what I found in the Hud-Son mill..........just my 2 cents.........Alan

vt k-9

I also do not know much about the hudson but
  I did own a norwood. It was a good mill. I had no
  problems with it. Sold it 5 years ago and am still
  trying to get my money.\My 02 I would get one
  with at least 20 hp.  Good luck!

pappy

Quote from: cilley on April 09, 2009, 05:34:08 AM
Hi everybody...........just have to jump in here..........i have a Hud-Son farm boss 36......and I have no complaints.........maybe the smaller units are not what the 36 is.........I would love to have a wm!!!!!!!!..........but I just cant justify the price for what I do..........I can say I looked at most of the mills out there before I bought...........I was impressed with what I found in the Hud-Son mill..........just my 2 cents.........Alan

I got a Hudson "Lill Oscar 18" circa >>> tail end of the last century  ;) ,,, small BUT  like any tool > keep it sharp < and it'll cut  ::) I've had our 13 Honda hp for a nye on 10 years and it's done what I've needed it to do !! some stuff  pretty Dang good size too  :o ,,, mostly for our own needs,,, t' was nice to able to saw materials  from round the palce,,,  > plus >   any saw band,table,chop,chain  don't cut right if the right things don't line up and if it ain't shaap it just don't do it!   ::)

And it only cost me $.02  ;D

salut and peace,
pappy

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Thank You Sponsors!