iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First sawing job

Started by tyb525, April 04, 2009, 12:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

A few guys should be showing up here in about an hour. They're bringing a few small logs for me to saw.

This will be my first custom sawing job. 8)

Strangely enough, the guy with most of the logs is the guidance counselor at my school, and another is a teacher. Hope all goes well, I've gotten everything ready to go, and cleaned the barn out for this special occasion. :)

I'll let you know when we're finished.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

blaze83

way to go Ty  8)

if you remember ....take a few pictures....i'm terrible at it when i get busy doing something.... looking forward to seeing how things go

Steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

logwalker

We're proud of you Ty. Do a good job and stick some money in your jeans. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

ladylake

I aways charge extra when they take pictures.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Don K

Congrats Ty. I see you are on your way to being a entrepreneur.  ;D Enjoy yourself and you will probably find that you will be a steward and teacher of the sawing profession. They will ask you questions about why you are sawing a board a certain way and amazingly you will know the answer. ;D  Hopefully they brought you perfect, straight logs with no hidden tension problems. It would be terrible to have a board curl right up off the mill. ;) :D :D :D :D  No, I never had that happen. ::)

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

tyb525

It went well, no pictures unfortunately.

The logs were small, 2 cherry about 10"x 5' and 1 about 14"x4', and a walnut about 16"x5'. I did enjoying sharing my knowledge (aquired from the FF of course) about sawing and why I did this and that. I've gotten pretty good at sawing logs so that boards don't pop off the cant. There are still a few though.

This was the first time seeing a sawmill operate for them, and they were very impressed, by my speed, the smoothness of the cut, and the amount of lumber saved due to low kerf loss. 8)

There was about 150bf total. I would've preferred longer logs, but I'll take what I can get.  :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Reddog

Sounds like you had a good day.  :)

WDH

At least it wasn't hickory  :D.

Way to go Ty!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

That was better than a good day, that was a fantastic day!  You are teaching your teachers.  How good can it get?  You may well have just planted a very special seed in that Guidance Counselor's head that could affect students for years to come. ;D 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

brdmkr

Way to go Ty 8) 8)

I wish I could figure how to keep wood from hopping off the log.  Sometimes I think it is going to take flight :D :D

It is fun when you know it is going to happen and you have witnesses.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

jerry-m

8)Good job Ty, Proud for and of you 8)

Jerry

Jerry

tyb525

I think they had a great time. It's a great feeling when I can work with teachers and not feel like a student. I had a great time, nevermind the fact that I made some $$. :)

They both said they will be coming back with more logs. 8)

Brdmkr, I try to keep the heart centered, and flip the cant often. Ex.: I'll take a few cuts off the top, turn log 90 degrees, take a few more, turn 90 again, take a few cuts (if you're going for a certain width of board, try to plan out so that you can center the heart at this time), then turn so the narrow dimension is vertical, and cut boards down to the heart. Usually when I get to the heart, I turn 90 degrees so the heart is now on the bottom. A thin squaring cut is usually required at this point. Continue to cut boards.

Sorry if I just explained something you already knew, I just felt compelled to type it. :D

okie

Sounds like a great experience Ty. It's great you got to do a little buisness with your mill, you're movin right along ;D ;)
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

okie

Quote from: tyb525 on April 05, 2009, 12:24:55 AM
I think they had a great time. It's a great feeling when I can work with teachers and not feel like a student. I had a great time, nevermind the fact that I made some $$. :)

They both said they will be coming back with more logs. 8)

Brdmkr, I try to keep the heart centered, and flip the cant often. Ex.: I'll take a few cuts off the top, turn log 90 degrees, take a few more, turn 90 again, take a few cuts (if you're going for a certain width of board, try to plan out so that you can center the heart at this time), then turn so the narrow dimension is vertical, and cut boards down to the heart. Usually when I get to the heart, I turn 90 degrees so the heart is now on the bottom. A thin squaring cut is usually required at this point. Continue to cut boards.

Sorry if I just explained something you already knew, I just felt compelled to type it. :D
I was wondering how to keep the boards from popping off sometimes too. I do'nt think your method will work for brdmkr and myself though  :(.  That is a great trick though and one of these years when I get me a band mill to compliment my swinger, I'll be sure and remember it. ;)
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

tyb525

Sorry okie and brdmkr I didn't realize you guys were running swingers. :P In that case I can't think of a good method, I've never run one.

beav39

way to go ty good to see you getting your feet planted and making a little money
sawdust in the blood

Dan_Shade

it does feel good when you get treated like an adult, doesn't it, Ty?  it happens to me about once a month or so  :D

Have you read any information here on the forum about grade sawing?  i use your method when sawing dimensional stock, but if you're grade sawing, you want to take wider boards off the best available faces.

here's a link to a great post with a lot of philosophical stuff tossed in there:  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,27069.0.html

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

thecfarm

Watch out.Word of mouth will get you some more work.  8)  I know you did a good job. Keep up the great work you are doing and life will treat you good. It feels good to help someone and do a good job while doing it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Fla._Deadheader

Shoot, we all know Ty has this covered.  8) 8)

I've been waiting to read an update from MOM ???   HEY MOM  ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

tyb525

Thanks for that link Dan, as far as grade sawing goes, I don't really know anything. :D I just try to put the knots on the corners.

I'm not sure where my mom is. ??? :D

pigman

QuoteI'm not sure where my mom is
But I will bet she knows where you are. Mothers do have eyes in the back of their head. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

JTAD

Oh yes! Mom is always watching, listening, and bragging to her "crowd".

I keep quiet so he doesn't know I'm around.  He does have pictures, thanks to me, unless something went wrong with the camera. See, I took pictures and he didn't even know I was there.

I am very excited for him, but as a Mother, still very concerned about his safety.  He is always out in the barn alone, I check on him and he usually is hungry so I know he'll come up to the house for food.

I am really looking forward to benefit when he gets time to reside our old barn, he'll have to send you all a picture and get your advise how best to accommplish the task.  I'm not looking for perfection, I just want to keep the barn standing.

We need to replace our 20 yr old deck this summer too, another use for the sawmill.

Too many projects and not enough time!

Maybe we'll see you all in August?

Ty's Mom

Fla._Deadheader

I'm sure you are proud. Who wouldn't be. You have a fine Son.

Does he have a cell phone ???  That would be a good safety feature, IF he gets hurt away from the house. Might be something to consider ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Norm

Harold's suggestion of a cell phone is a good one. When I work alone I make sure someone knows where I'm at and when to expect me back so just in case I can't call they know where to look.

Ty's a great guy, one all of us would be proud to have as our own.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!