iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

D-logs from a swingmill

Started by woodsteach, April 09, 2009, 11:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsteach

I have a customer that wants 3" thick D-log siding and I have a swing mill.

I'm having a mental block, could someone please post a pix of this operation?

Thank you
woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

DanG

Hmmm.  Depends on the size of the logs vs the desired width of the d logs.  I can see getting one from a small log, or up to 4 from a larger one.  The logs would need to be similar in size for the radius of the uncut side to be consistent.  You would need to be sure the uncut side is parallel with the saw so your d-logs won't be tapered.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ErikC

Does he want the live edges round for siding? The majority of log siding I have sen is machined from a 2 or 3" thick board. Once up it looks like a manufactured log home. Some even has full log ends that stick out. Because of the bed arrangement on the brand X it is probably the easiest swingmill to do live edges on, as DanG described. 
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

woodsteach

Here is what I'm a thinking as he wants them to have flats on the top and bottom. 

The logs are only 6' long so taper shouldn't be much of a problem. 

He is making a rustic cabin for him and the dog.  Oh, the logs are of osage orange so the cabin should last a while.

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

blame

hi guys  just on question hows that going to shed the water without the 2nd set of grooves? water would seep thru it making the back side hold moisture  causing rot  i guess they could caulk the joint every year but seems kinda counter productive

_
        |  |
        |   \
        |    \
        |     )
        |     /
        |_  /
          | /

rough idea of what the siding should look like to shed water would take more time to mill out thou

Blame

Haytrader

My MIL just had her home sided with this pine log siding.

I am guessing the home is close to 1600 sq. ft. and the siding was $25000
Haytrader

Thank You Sponsors!