Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Wherezit???  (Read 4288 times)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Wherezit???
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 06:12:22 PM »
Good old Halesia.  That bark is distinctive (remember, I am a bark man ;D).  I should have seen it right off  :).

LL,  my little seedlings have been transplanted and they are doing fine!  I had a big hickory get trashed by Hurricane Ivan (maybe it was Jeane  ???), and they have taken up residence up in that hole.  As you probably remember, there are not many holes in the canopy around my place.   I put the pignut seedling right in the stump hole of the old pignut that got blown over.  That seemed appropriate 8).  I think that the cats got the northern red when they knocked the container off the back porch, but the little shumard and scarlet look happy in their new home.  The little scarlet should feel at home since there are a number of them on my place (about as south as they naturally grow).  You were kind to give them to me, and when I go check on them, I think about your visit.  Isn't the Forum great 8).  Without it,  I would never had met you and got those precious little seedlings!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Lanier_Lurker

• Give that kid some grits!!
    • Share Post
Re: Wherezit???
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 08:54:57 AM »
WDH, sorry to hear about the northern red, but good news: I rescued several northern red seedling from the neighbor's flower bed a couple of months ago and got them potted while still dormant.  They are now looking quite happy in their 30" deep Treepots.  It is a certainty that I will be passing through on the way to Leesburg again before next fall.  Consider them yours.  Good news on the other little trees also!  (I think the hickory I gave you may be a mockernut). And yes, I remember how tight the canopy was at your place.  My place is very similar, just with more undergrowth.  I wish I could get you some sourwood to grow in the understory, but they are difficult.

Dodgy, those gray squirrels can really ruin things when it comes to nut tree propagation.  They destroyed 5 of my best 1 year old mockernut seedlings that I recently re-potted into larger containers.  All traces of the seed/nut were gone, including the husks, and they still got them.  Gotta have some way to protect them.  I hope the fellow with the sawtooths was happy to get the shumard acorns, and that he has some success actually making some trees from them.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter