iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best way to see Costa Rica?

Started by Handy Andy, May 07, 2009, 11:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handy Andy

Been thinking about a trip to Costa Rica, did a google, found lots of travel companies, some offer bus tours, others you just rent a car and drive around.  Looks like the volcano is a popular site.  Is the scuba diving worth looking at, read the carribean side isn't good?  Usually we go where I can dive every day, but would like to look this place over.  Would be fun to meet the forum members there. Anyway, looking for advide on the best way to do this trip.  And without spending a fortune.  Usually book a last minute special, and go wherever the best deal is.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

crtreedude

A few things.

Make a list of what you want to do. I know it is a small country, but there is a ton of stuff to do. You might not want to try to do everything. A lot of people engage in what I called the Costa Rican death march. When you look at distances on the map, remember if you cross the central part of the country, those roads will look worse that a snake! We live a little more than a hundred miles from the airport, for example. I give myself about 3 1/2 hours to get there. Plan accordingly.

If you want to save money, don't come during the dry season. The rainy season is still warm. But avoid June, July is nice, June is a cross over month and will leave you soggy. (tends to rain a lot!)

Volcano viewing is best during the rainy season - not the dry season. DON'T STAY TOO CLOSE! It is due to erupt a lot again before too long. It does about every 8 years (sort of a collapse of ash, etc.)

Let me know if you make it and you can visit our operation. If you are really handy, I will put you to work.  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

crtreedude

Oh, I know very little about diving.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Raider Bill

Andy,

I've been there several times. I can't say how beautiful it is in words nor how nice the people are. I've dove there but was disappointed all 3 times. The water was not as clear as I thought it would be.

Now white water rafting that's a whole nother thing. Exceptional!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

metalspinner

You're going to love it!

We went during the rainy season and got better deals on our travel.

I agree on the amount of things to do.  Soooo much!  We pretty much decided to stay in the Arenal region.  It was nice to just relax and watch the volcano.

Some day we will return and take in more of the country.

BTW,
Yes, rent a car.  It's all part of the experience.  Watch out around that next curve, though.  You never know what's going to be waiting for you. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!