iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Something strange???

Started by biziedizie, August 24, 2003, 09:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biziedizie

Ron it was attached with a nail, Paul has the nail and maybe he could post a pic if it helps.

Steve

Jeff

No log I.D./inventory tag like I have ever saw.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jason_WI

Here's an interesting thread on the "other" forum.

http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/sawdry.pl?read=283791

That tag sparked your concern.........

Jason

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Ron Wenrich

Ben Meadows sells a similar tag in blue, and Forestry Suppliers sells one without any paint.  Less than $10/100.

The log tags are plastic (usuallly biodegradable) and are a little more expensive.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Wudman

I have seen similar tags used as tree identifiers on research or permanent inventory plots.  I have used them as such and attached them with an aluminum nail.

Wudman  
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Frank_Pender

If they are a survey type tag, as they resemble, then the owner might be trying to determine the amount of produced usable lumber from each log based on growth from date of planting etc.  If this is the case, I would assume that he would have told you about each tag and have you stack the lumber per log.
Frank Pender

biziedizie

This is lambie and he has a tag too. ;D  This little guy eats out of our hands and he's really cool. 8) He comes up on the deck sometimes to see what we are doing.

Steve

biziedizie

K so it's been awhile now and this guy hasn't returned my calls. I'm thinking that these logs ain't hot as the tags don't mean anything to anyone.  I want to do something with them (like maybe saw them). Should I go for it or wait or what???

Steve

Tom

I'd say you've made a good effort.  You have the tages and the logs.  What's the difference if you have the tags and the lumber?  Saw them, I'd say.   you have to do it one day or not do it all.   you have pictures of them too.  I'd keep the tags though.

biziedizie

Tom I think you're right, I'm gonna saw the suckers and use them to fix up the fence where I have my mean llama. I soooo wanna put that guy on the bbq. ;D

I think I did the right thing by asking you guys for an opinion and Paul saw the tag and it doesn't match anything around here plus this guy hasn't called so off to the saw it goes. 8)

Steve

beenthere

QuoteBeenthere, I will do some additional checking with the people at the "Cow College" and see what they they have to say.  I have only heard about this happening and not actually seen it take place.  I sure hope I have not been passing on misinformation.   :P

Frank
Did the "cow college" have any answers?  

Are they the ones who lost to the Fresno team last night? Sure was pulling for them to win that one, but just seemed to "p..." it away with mistakes on defense (a few interceptions too).  Caused me to stay up late, just to see a field goal beat them in the last second or so. ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

city of austin, texas uses a similar tag to mark city owned trees. also sometimes to mark privately owned. they have an ordinance that won't allow any tree over 6" diam. to be cut down with out approval from the city. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tillaway

Wudman got it... looks allot like an inventory tag.  I have nailed thousands just like it to trees on permanent inventory plots.  Looks like you got tree #35 there.

Was the nail aluminum and did it stick out a bit or was it over grown?  By the picture, looks like it may have started to grow over.  Was it about 3 feet or so above the large end?

Often times there are two numbers, one below stump hieght that stays with the stump and another at DBH.  This way you have two tags to reconcile your plot if it has been logged or fire or equipment destroys the stump tag.

The permanent plots track changes in the stand over a long periods, we just remeasure every 5 or 10 years or so to update the inventory.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Frank_Pender

Beenthere, I have been so DanGbusy  with the class and all up till last Thursday, I DanG forgot.  :-[ Thanks for the reminder.  The real, no excuse is that the people I was going to speak to about the issue were here helping teach the class. :'(

I think that Tillawayhit the whole thing right on the aluminum head as to the origin and purpose of the tags.
Frank Pender

Oregon_Sawyer

Here is something very strange. :D :D  Candid shot of Frank at the class. We'll see if I can attach the photo.  Hey what do you know it worked!!

Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Thank You Sponsors!