iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Knees

Started by dewwood, May 25, 2009, 12:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dewwood

Well I finally did it.  Two weeks ago tomorrow I had total joint replacement on both knees.  I am still in a recovery program but will probably be going home in a couple more days.  There is still stiffness but I have rehab every day and things are progressing well.  They do torture you in rehab but if you don't do it the knees will just stiffen up and you will never regain flexibility in your legs.  I am able to get up and go to the bathroom on my own and can walk quite a ways with a walker.  Every day I can see considerable improvement and am really looking forward to going home.

I hope by mid summer to be able to do most of the things I was doing before and hopefully a few that I had not been able to do for a while.  I don't know if I will be able to make the Pig Roast or not will just have to see how it is going then.  That's about all the news I have and a nap is sounding real good.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Shotgun

We wish you the best, Dewey.  When you need it done, you need it done. You'll be happy you did it soon. I have a good friend that had the same thing in early November.  He's doing great, and is going to be playing tennis again soon. He's pretty much back to normal, well that's a figure of speech for Wayne, but things are going fine.

Keep us posted, and good luck. Will be looking for you at the pig roast.   ;)

Norm

Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

jander3

I wish you well on your recovery.  Both knees at once is tough.  Recovery simply sucks.  My wife had both knees replaced 18 months ago.  Today, she is walking around like a normal person...one of the best decisions she has ever made.

Post surgery, at 6 months, she was moving around just fine but she still had some pain and concern.  By one year, she was walking normally.

Jeff

Good for you Dewey. I knew you was planning it and I'm glad to see you are now on the way to being able to chase Marsha around again and this time have a shot at catching her. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Catch Martha?  Not 'less Martha is in da wheelchair too.. ;D ;D ;D

Good to hear you are makin progress there Dewey.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dewwood

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.  I get to go home tomorrow and am looking forward to that.

Hope to make the Pig Roast.

see you there.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Weekend_Sawyer

Glad to hear you are doing good.  8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Reddog

Glad it sounds like every thing is going well Dewey. 8)

I will offer you a few words of advise.
One thing I have been told by everyone that has knees replaced is, don't kneel with out a pad.
As they got feeling better, they would slip up and kneel to do something and wish they hadn't.
Don't jump or step off something and take a hard hit. The shock load is not good for them.
Do all the stretches PT shows you and keep all your range of motion.
Like any piece of machinery, if you treat them right they will treat you right also.

I built components for knees, hip, shoulders, and trauma plates for 22 years. Spent a lot of time with the design folks at the OEM's.
Hope to see you at the pig roast. ;)

Norm

Here's to a speedy recovery Dewey.  smiley_beertoast

Burlkraft

Hey Dewy,

Congrats on the Knew Knees  :D  :D  :D

I had 1 major reconstruction....I feel yer pain on the therapy part  ::)  ::)  ::)

Look forward ta seein' yer smilin' face at the pig roast  ;D  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Brucer

Getting them both done at once is strongly discouraged in these parts.

Barb had both her knees replaced 7 months apart. It's nearly two years since the last one was done and it has made a world of difference to her.

Range of motion is the big issue. You gotta work at it. Do the physiotherapy, do the exercises, and get yourself a cheap stationary bike! One with lots of adjustment for leg length (we got Barb a recumbent one). This isn't the kind of surgery where you can just lie back and let things heal.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

CLL

One word of advice, as I made a mistake and went to wrong place for therapy after surgery. Everyone wants you to get your knees bending, that is needed, BUT its a lot more important to keep your calf and hamstrings stretched. Lay on your back with your heel on the couch arm and put at least 5# just above or below your knee for as long as you can stand it. Due to the fact I didn't get enough stretch I had to spend 10 weeks with from 10-20 # just to get the right stretch.
Too much work-not enough pay.

WDH

I hope your recovery plan includes the includes the Pig Roast!!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Dewey
How are the new knees coming along? Have been wondering how you are doing with them in rehab.  I'm thinking you are probably back to work every day. ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dewwood

The knees are improving every day but I still have a ways to go to be 100%.  I can get out to the shop and help a little but I still can't stand for long periods or do a lot of lifting and carrying lumber.  I do feel better every day and the strength has really started to return to more normal which is helping immensely.  I still do rehab three times a week and exercises at home plus I am doing a lot more stuff outside now which is helping build the strength back up.  The rehab is mostly focusing on strength and balance now and not as much flexibility as I have pretty much achieved their goals for that.

We are planning on attending the Pig Roast so look forward to seeing a lot of you there.

Dewey

Fla._Deadheader

Good to hear yer getting it together, Dewey.  8) 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Burlkraft

Good to hear Dewey!!   8)  8)  8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Reddog

Quote from: Burlkraft on July 09, 2009, 10:50:21 PM
Good to hear Dewey!!   8)  8)  8)

I agree.
Look forward to seeing you at the pig roast.  :)

OneWithWood

You can't keep a good man down  8) 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Norm

Glad to hear you're on the mend!

dewwood

Thanks for all of the encouragement and support! :) :)

Dewey

thecfarm

Glad to hear things are working out for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!