iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Hand Rails

Started by Fla._Deadheader, August 29, 2003, 10:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

We have been selling a little of the "sinker" heartpine to a guy doing restoration work on a local house. Now, he wants some Hand Rails. They are to be roughed out at about 3" X 4". Question is, Do we box the heart for all of these, or, saw them off the sides. This wood is VERY stable, and there is negligible? warp or twist or cup, even with wide (18" ) boards.
  What's y'all's best opinions???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

solidwoods

I would saw it off the sides if you have logs that will make it.  I would use qtr sawn pieces.   Indoor use or outdoor?   I would sticker to air dry if used out side, I would not use it green.
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks, Jim.  Wish you guys had a little of this stuff to play with. It really does not behave like this "modern" lumber.

My attic gets really hot this time of year. I will saw the pieces and sticker them in the shop for a while and then, put 'em in the attic to finish 'em off.

I didn't talk to the guy. My son has dealt with him. Don't know about inside or outside???   1 is 18', 2 are 16' and 2 are 9'. That's a lot of handrail for inside.
   First, it is ridiculed;

dail_h

Cut them off the sides,I would try to orient them so the edge grain was on the sides of the rails instead of top n bottom
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

biziedizie

FLA that sounds like the size of handrails for a church with a basement that has a landing in-between the two floors.

Right when I read this post that was the first thing I thought of as I did some handrails for a church not too long ago.

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

Diz, this is an old house. The woman that owns it just loves the old pine look.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Larry

Inside I get better results by building up handrails especially if they span a long ways between newel posts and no wall to attach to.  On an 18' rail it doesn't take very much warp or twist to make things difficult and noticeable.  

Outside I make cedar deck rails and either solid or built up works depending on the look I'm after.

Sometimes it is a lot easier to reproduce the rails in old buildings using built up sections.

Couple of cut offs from a simple built up rail.  The actual rail had shaper cut finger holds that tapered to a flat section where they went through the newel post.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

biziedizie

Larry is right on track with his post. Most long spans I build them from scratch just like the pretty pic above, saves headaches in the long run.

Steve

Thank You Sponsors!