iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looky here

Started by Fla._Deadheader, August 29, 2003, 04:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Just ran across this neat website that all the Northerners might like to see.

http://www.georgianbaywetwood.com/
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

oakiemac

That's a cool site. It still amazes me that the wood is good after a century on the bottom.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

EZ

A friend of mine helps a guy fish logs out of the Ohio river. He told me that I could go with them sometime and watch how it's done. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a cool thing to fetch logs under the water, but being that I can swim like a flat rock, I'd rather stay home and saw.  ;D
EZ

DanG

Hey! Them guys cheat..was that a backhoe on the barge??  ???   What ya reckon they'd say iffn ya showed up on the St Johns with that rig? ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

As long as ya Don'T DIG, you can use near any means to grab the logs.
   First, it is ridiculed;

steveST

You guys diving for logs are some bad a$$ dudes! Whatever you're charging is probably not enough. I can't imagine diving in dark, cold water with visibility about 1" (on a good day).

I'll stick to my diving in St. Thomas!   ;D

Deadheader, what kinda lumber do you sell? I may be interested in some for a specialty lumber store I deal with.

Thanks!

Fla._Deadheader

Hi Steve. Mostly Old growth, tight ring Bald Cypress, both Solid and Pecky. We have some pieces that were sliced off stumps and butt cuts with the stump included. here's a couple pics.

First, it is ridiculed;

Tim

I milled a bunch of pine out of the Ottawa River a few years back. The wood has an interesting colour but, the smell when its wet would gag a pig.

The wood stays that intact through the years as the decomposition of wood is fungal and not microbiological. Further fugus is aerobic, requirring an oxygen source and there isn't enough oxygen in the water to sustain the fungus.

Its amazing what you learn when your scrapping the government.
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Fla._Deadheader

Tim, by any chance, was that "Turpentine" Pine that ya sawed??? It has a nasty smell till it's dry, not too different from Diesel fuel. Our stuff doesn't have a "swampy" smell, much???  :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

biziedizie

Tim do you have an update with what's going with your scrap with the goverment???

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

My son brought me a couple of photos of logs, underwater.
   They are pretty cool.  I know y'all wanna see what them logs look like, buried in the sand, sooo, I will try to get them posted here this evening. Stay tuned ::) ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tim

All the resinous woods have trupines in them to the best of my knowledge, FLA. The st uff I was sawing was prediominately White Pine with a considerable component of Red Pine and a bit of Red Oak and Maple. I all stunk equally. The stink was from the stuff that accumulated on the logs over the years while it was underwater.

I do have some news about a meeting that we had with the MOE, Steve. I'll post it on the general board later this evening. Thanks for asking.
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Fla._Deadheader

Don'T blink too fast or ya might miss the log. ;D ;D

1st pic is about 8" from log. See the log??? It's there  :o
  2nd Pic is about 18" from log.
  3rd Pic is about 12" from the log.
  The water was about 8-9 feet deep. ;D ;D

First, it is ridiculed;

shopteacher

Stinky, wet logs; boy you guys know how to live.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

Shopteacher, that's why we get the BIG $$$$$$ ::) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just got off the phone 10 minutes ago. Guy wants to buy some Sinker Cypress LOGS. Told him $2.00 bd/ft. Might meet him Friday, IF I go to the camp to saw ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

woodhaven

Man you are one adventureous Dud.
Richard

steveST

Just because the man spends most of his life in swampy waters and the internet, 'tis no reason to call him a dud!  :D

woodhaven

Alright,
He is just down right NUTS then.
Richard

biziedizie

Pretty cool pics. Are there sinkers in my neck of the woods that are worth some buxs??? Cedar and fir float up and down the river and I'm sure that a few log booms have split apart over the years.

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

Woodhaven, this is one way that the lesser edicated folks make their mark.

Diz, either check out yer library for history on logging and sawmills in your area, OR, get wet and look ::) ::)
   Got hardwood in your area??? Some of those sinkers can fetch $20,000.00 and up for the lumber PER log???
  Do a Google search for Great Lakes Logging. It will show the outfit that is/was doing the same thing as us, only hardwood.
   First, it is ridiculed;

woodhaven

If thats the case then I need to come down and work with you.
Richard

Thank You Sponsors!