TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: U shaped stair layout?  (Read 30344 times)

Offline shinnlinger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: U shaped stair layout?
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 08:52:36 PM »

Shad, Here is what I did in a similar situation.  I hung the stringers off of 2x4s so I could begin dropping the stairs sooner in a tighter space and can insert my trim boards later without scribing....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Offline Rig

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 09:03:42 PM »
I've built those exact stairs in my sister's house I modeled off of Sobon's house pictured above.

The easiest way to start any stair project is to draw them out with on the wall where the treads and risers will be touching them. Everything else falls into place for me once I have some lines drawn with a level and my framing square.

I love Jack's work and philosophy and I consider him my most influential mentor.

Offline Thomas-in-Kentucky

• Full Member x2
  • do something
    • Share Post
    • Building a Timberframe Home from Scratch
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 11:49:27 AM »
Lots of good advice here.  I might add that I think anyone who leaves less than 6 feet by 8 feet for a U-shaped stairwell in a timberframe house is setting themselves up for trouble.  (6x10 is a lot more appropriate) Two years after I made the 6x8 decision, I had to build a set of stairs to fit.. and it was tight.  My rise worked out to be 7.5 to 7.75" and my run was 10", with 11" treads or so.  I don't think you'd want anything steeper than this, unless it's to reach an infrequently visited space. 

I put a landing midway in each of my two flights, and found it necessary to put a step in the landing going from the 1st to 2nd floor (the ceilings are taller than the 2nd to 3rd floor).  Anyway, in the dark, running down the stairs, I once forget which floor I was on and missed the step in the landing.  Ouch.  Probably a bad idea (OK, three bad ideas - running on stairs, in the dark, with a different design for each floor). 

Did I mention, we had to take the (temporary) handrails off recently to get a washing machine up to the second floor?  Now, try imagining a box spring mattress going up these stairs.  Glad we have a loft space - several items (like 4x8 sheets of drywall) have gone up over the balcony-railing, since they didn't fit up the stairs.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Stair steps

Started by Larry on General Board

11 Replies
Last post September 13, 2004, 07:33:59 PM
by Rod
xx
How to lay out stair treads?

Started by LeeB on General Woodworking

10 Replies
Last post November 24, 2010, 06:31:45 PM
by LeeB