iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The President visited my logging job

Started by Frickman, September 16, 2009, 07:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

Yesterday, Tuesday, President Obama spoke in Pittsburgh at the AFL-CIO conference around lunchtime. I happened to be by a television while in town and saw him land at Pittsburgh International Airport. I went back to my job and was installing some parts on the forwarder when lo and behold, here comes his helicopter, Marine 1, and several others in his entourage. Right over top of me, two hundred feet high at the most, on their way back home. You might love him or hate him, I don't know, but I thought it was kind of neat that the leader of the free world paid me a visit at a rutted, dusty, rock covered old log landing.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

scsmith42

I'm sure that Robert (Onewithwood) is envious over your good fortune...   ;D

Since you've been hobknobbing with the high rollers, does this mean that we're going to have to start calling  you "Mr." Frickman???  :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

You could say.. he was looking down on you..  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

Or, you were "looking up" to him...... ;D

I saw JFK at Arlington Nat'l Cemetery in 1961.  Didn't care for the man, but I'm glad that I saw him and heard him speak.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bibbyman

I once saw Joe Piscapo in the Atlanta airport. 

I got to admit that I hardly noticed him for the woman that was stuck to his side.   :o 
Sawing since '94

KGNC

I thought I was going to see the President once. I was siting in the Omaha Airport (or maybe it was Lincoln airport)  and saw Air Force One coming in for a landing! But they were just doing touch and go landings, don't guess the president was on board.  :-\

Ron Wenrich

The guy that does my mill repairs used to do repairs on Air Force One.  But, I believe it was a bi-plane back then.   :D

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bibbyman

George Bush 41 came to our town to give a speech.  Son Chris was in a bunch of high school kids that went to see the parade down the street to the place where he was going to speak.  I loaned him my nice 35mm camera with a roll of 36 exposure film to take pictures.  Got the camera back and had the pictures developed.  34 pictures of the kids on the bus and such – some inappropriate, I may add.  One picture of a Busch beer can in the grass and one picture of President Bush's arm.  The rest of him was blocked by the crowd.  

This about mimics Dad's experience in WWII.  He was in Paris when the French made a march through town.  He was a lined up to get a picture of Charles De Gaulle when a lady with a large hat stepped out in front of him just as he snapped the picture.  All he got was the back of her head and hat and part of Charles' hand waving to the crowd.    
Sawing since '94

OneWithWood

Quote from: scsmith42 on September 16, 2009, 07:56:28 PM
I'm sure that Robert (Onewithwood) is envious over your good fortune...   ;D

Since you've been hobknobbing with the high rollers, does this mean that we're going to have to start calling  you "Mr." Frickman???  :D

I will be in DC in a week or so.  I think I will call him up and see if he has time for a beer  smiley_beertoast
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

scsmith42

Quote from: OneWithWood on September 17, 2009, 10:50:09 AM

I will be in DC in a week or so.  I think I will call him up and see if he has time for a beer  smiley_beertoast

:D  :D  :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Toolman

Maybe this time they'll serve some "good" beer...I'm thinking a Yuengling Lager
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Bibbyman

Maybe they'll find some old stock of "Billy Beer" since Jimmy C. had come out of the woodwork.  :)
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Captain

Jeff, I would love to see a pic of that 6er.  I've been trying to explain to Brendan about things that were going on when I was his age.

Captain

Jeff

I'll ask her if she has a clue where it is in their basement. We were just talking about it a month or so ago.

DWM II

When hurricane Katrina came thru this neck of the woods I was able to see Air Force One fly over our plant. We are in the direct path or runway 13 BTR, the plane was at about 200' agl. Yep its pretty neat to see the Commander in Chief fly over, regardless of who he is.
Stewardship Counts!

Banjo picker

Quote from: Toolman on September 17, 2009, 02:03:51 PM

Maybe this time they'll serve some "good" beer...I'm thinking a Yuengling Lager

Make it a Black and Tan at that...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Hilltop366

I was at the same beach bonfire (7 miles from my house) in August as John Dimitri Negroponte your former  Director of Central Intelligence and  Deputy Secretary of State, I got there late but did speak to him for a few minutes and met a couple of his children.

and I did drink a beer but he had already left, That is as close as I will get to having a beer with your president :D

DanG

Frickman, I know just what you mean about the feeling you get when you feel like you are involved someway.  It was in November of 1963, when I was still in high school.  I was a member of the Civil Air Patrol, and was part of the "Color Guard" who raised the flag at our football games.  Now I didn't like John Kennedy, or anything he stood for, but we had a game scheduled on the evening of his assassination, and it was decided that he wouldn't have wanted it to be cancelled.  I must say, the experience of being the one who raised that flag rapidly to the top of the mast and then lowered it slowly back to the half-way point was one of the most ethereal moments I have experienced in my brief life!  I will never forget the feeling, as Richard Wilson tied off the lanyard with the traditional three half hitches, and Tommy Deal and Bill Seits stood guard with their white-painted phony M-1s.  Somehow, it doesn't matter what a man's politics are when he comes in contact with the Leader of the Free World, no matter how remote that contact is.  As has been mentioned in the "news" of late, respect for the office is a very important thing!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SPIKER

I managed a distant view of the "Margarette Thacher" British Prime Minister at time when she was on tour from across the pond back in early 90's @ Edwards AFB, she was there to see our top secrete B2 bomber, I think that the Queen Mum was there with the VP at the time as well but I can neither confirm nor deny that ') :D   I saw John Glen once in a quick drive by at the same base.   The HOLE where they loaded his plane one to break sound barrier was still at the base when I was working there.   Other than that I have not met many famous people that I can remember...   though I admit I'm not one to go looking either as I'm pretty sure everyone puts their pants on in the same way... 

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

timberfaller390

I'm more interested in what was wrong with your forwarder.  :D
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

ARKANSAWYER

I hope he did not take to much of your time and you got the forwarder repaired.

I do not drink beer but if the President would sit down with me and have a talk I would drink my first just for the chance to bend that mans ear.   He sure needs to spend some time on a log landing.

I drove Pres. George Bush Sr. while I was the driver for General Woodmansee of the 2nd Armored Division.   He was a nice guy the but Seceret Service liked to drove me nuts.
ARKANSAWYER

Raider Bill

I've got 8 cans of Billy beer on hand and a 6er  of JR beer.

Also have the complete set of Harley beer starting in 84

Just bought a 12 of Yuengling Black and Tan for the weekend $7.99!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Patty

I have met and had dinner with George Bush Sr. . He was a real gentleman. His son was very nice as well. He leaned over and gave me a kiss on the cheek when he was visiting.   :-*

Norm is still waiting for his opportunity to kiss Miss Laura.   :D      (pay backs of course)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!