The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Hello all! I am new to the forum and need help!  (Read 5466 times)

Offline apm

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Hello all! I am new to the forum and need help!
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 02:25:06 PM »
The Museum of Appalachia in Norris, Tennessee used to have a 50" saw on display with 6 teeth. The placard said it was from a water wheel powered mill. Slow going, but minimal power requirements I'd guess.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Offline ahiggins1

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 03:36:24 PM »
OK guys, My sister took some pictures of the old Belsaw A-14D sawmill for me.  I think I finally got them added to my photo gallery.  Now don't laugh - I know it isn't much to look at but we are going to try to put it back together.  Dad actually bought this mill about 35 years ago took it apart and sold it to a neighbor.  He never put it together and sold it to my uncle who hauled it to Kansas and unloaded it in a pile under a cedar tree where it has been sitting ever since.  It has not sawed lumber in atleast 40 years and maybe more.  That is my dad in the one picture.
Andy

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 04:23:59 PM »
I see  ::) ::) them Andy.
Now, you can make them much bigger.  :)

If you use the Java Uploader and bring in the original pic files, they will be resized for you.
If you can't for some reason get Java downloaded on your computer, then there are other resize programs but need to resize the longest side to 500 or less pixels. Then the file size will usually be right.

When in your gallery, go to the pic you want and scroll down. It will have a place to copy it to your message (post). Hope this helps.

Looks like a project all right.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 07:19:04 AM »
Andy,probibly that scrag blade was ment to be run at much higher RPM than a tractor PTO at 540.It would probibly work for a light power plant your feed would be limited to about 1"per revolution.If it could be had real reasonable worth a try outherwise I'd keep looking.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline ahiggins1

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 08:58:27 AM »
Frank C.
I believe I will keep looking for a 40 to 48 inch insert blade.  I guess I am not in that big of a hurry because it will be a while before we can get the track all put together.  It will take time since I am here in Indiana and dad is in Missouri.  It is fun trying to figure out how to put it all together.

Offline KyTreeFarmer

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 09:26:48 AM »
Andy
Enjoyed your pictures. Sure brings back lots of memories. Your mill is just like mine. You will have lots of fun with your project. Dad will have more fun than you.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Offline ahiggins1

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 02:23:21 PM »
Hey KTF,
Is there any chance that you could e-mail me some more pictures of your mill.  Especially of the duo-speed feed unit.  I am still not sure just how that works or if we have all the parts for it.  Not sure how it is supposed to make the carriage advance and then gig back when you pull back on the lever.  I am just not sure we have all the parts.
If you can e-mail some pictures the address is ahiggins1@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Andy

Offline apm

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 01:50:45 PM »
There's a 1930's model Belsaw A16 listed on ebay right now. There is a pretty good picture of the feedworks you were asking about and the owner is volunteering to send more pictures to anyone who's interested. May be worth emailing him. Just search on Belsaw sawmill. It's in North Dakota, I think.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 07:34:20 AM »
Andy,if you could show us some pictures of your feed works.The newer Belsaws use two gears three to one ratio to change direction.Yours probibly uses what they call a Heacock drive,hard to describe and hard to envision,but it takes power from the outher side of the arbor pullely to change direction through an idler.The outher common drive is a friction feed,where one soft face pulley turns on the larger to change direction.Ether way their will be a drum for the cable feed through sheves at the ends to the carriage.Set the pieces on the ground and you should be able to figure how they work,the feed will be slower than the gigback.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
O Forum and Forum ROCKS

Started by thecfarm on Technical Support Topics

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2007, 09:39:52 PM
by thecfarm
xx
New to the Forum

Started by BillG on General Board

41 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 10:16:57 PM
by fencerowphil (Phil L.)