The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Deer Hunting 2009  (Read 32711 times)

Offline treecyclers

• Running with sharp objects is my favorite pastime.
    • Share Post
    • Treecyclers, LLC
Re: Deer Hunting 2009
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 09:28:10 PM »
Had a great hunt with jdtuttle (Mr. Jim), though unproductive.
It was great to hang out again, as he's definitely got some of the best deer hunting prospects I have seen in a very long time!
Thanks Jim!
Dave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Offline Chris Burchfield

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 07:08:20 PM »
Never hunted deer before I retired last April. First was a four point, second was a 10 point here in TN. Both with my youngest son's 223 Savage Bolt action with scope. Pretty much a sniper gun by my reckoning.  Dad passed in 98 and left youngest son his Marlin 36 RC? My Dad never took a deer with it. I asked if I could use it this year, which son said yes. I went to Wal-mart and picked out a nice Nikon scope to mount on it. Local gun smith charged $6.00 to bore site it at the counter same day. Went out and test fired it four times today. I'm happy with the rounds placed as is. Three food plots are seeing visitors I planted this summer. Sixteen days to go before gun season opens. Hope it'll frost a couple of more times to kill the skeeters. Congratulations to those that have bagged already.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 11:26:25 AM »
Beenthere,

With all those bucks running around you, what kind os scent were you using??
~Ron

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 12:03:07 PM »
 :D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 03:32:46 PM »
Rifle season starts this saturday in Vermont
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Offline Fairchance

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2009, 09:48:31 PM »
The temp. in N.C. was in the low 70s today. Too hot!!! Deer are not moving well right now. I did see ten does/fawns on friday as that tropical storm moved out of here. I guess they had their version of cabin fever after four days of heavy wind and rain. We really need it to cool down to get a descent rut. >:(

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2009, 10:19:54 PM »
Our rifle season opens Saturday.  I have two grandsons that are ready.  (I am too)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Radar67

• Senior Member x2
  • Cuttin Wood Now For My House Later.
    • Share Post
    • Stewart Photography
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 10:27:35 PM »
Youth Gun opened today Magicman.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Offline Faron

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2009, 12:15:26 AM »
It wasn't my plan.  We are working on a late harvest here, and I decided there was no time for deer hunting.  That disappointed my 9 year old grandson Ethan greatly.  He kept after me for days prior to opening this morning, so late in the week I told him we would go for a little while.  I suggested we take only the camera.  He figured the 50 cal H&R would be a more certain kill. :D
About 8:30 we spotted a nice buck.  I thought I had a real good shot, but somehow did a real poor job of bullet placement. :-[  I don't think I have had to track a deer for at least 30 years, but we had to track this one.  Ethan proved to be a pretty good tracker, and actually found the blood signs a couple of times when I had lost it.  We trailed him across a corn field til he crossed a gravel road into a woods.  As we reached the middle of the road, the buck jumped up and  ran.  Ethan yelled, "Shoot him!! Shoot him!!"  to motivate me, I guess. ;) but there was no way to get off a shot.  We walked around the woods to about where I figured he would come out.  I stepped into the edge of the woods and looked around, and sure enough there he was, laying down.  He started to get up, and I finished him.  He was a pretty nice 9 pointer. Ethan was tickled to death.
By the time we got back from the processor, it was after 1:00, but the lost harvest time was worth it.  Ethan even put a positive spin on the poor shot.  "Tracking that deer across the field made it more interesting."
I have reached the point where hunting isn't too important to me.  Not going doesn't bother me much.  Today, though, I watched Ethan's excitement, and I wouldn't have missed it for anything.  With 6 grandsons, and  maybe a couple of my 3 grand daughters wanting to hunt, I guess I better figure on hunting awhile yet.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Offline treecyclers

• Share Post
    • Treecyclers, LLC
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2009, 10:24:16 AM »
Ethan even put a positive spin on the poor shot.  "Tracking that deer across the field made it more interesting."
I have reached the point where hunting isn't too important to me.  Not going doesn't bother me much.  Today, though, I watched Ethan's excitement, and I wouldn't have missed it for anything.  With 6 grandsons, and  maybe a couple of my 3 grand daughters wanting to hunt, I guess I better figure on hunting awhile yet.

For what it's worth, my dad is about as anti-gun as they come, and never had the knowledge or ability to take me or my brother hunting. I really enjoy hunting, though I don't know much about it, tactics or otherwise. I surely wish I had someone to teach me the ropes so I could eventually pass on the values that hunting bring.
If you don't want to take them young'uns hunting, call me. I'll take them.
I don't have any young'uns yet, so it sure would be a pleasure to help.
Superdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Offline Faron

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2009, 08:38:10 PM »
Dave, thanks for the offer.  I think there is too much fun in my future to share, though. :D  My dad  was never a hunter or fisherman either. Far as I know neither was his dad.  My mother's father was an outdoorsman. Hunter, fisherman, beekeeper, and owned some real quality coon dogs, I have been told.  Unfortunately, he was killed in a mill collapse when I was 3 years old.  I guess it is genetics, because my brother and I always had an urge to hunt and fish, kind of like grandpa Don.  Dad, to his credit, bought us guns and rods and took us enough to learn how to be safe, when he figured out we were bent that way.  We had to learn the "how" from reading and observing the game as we farmed.  For a while after I got my driver's license we ran a trap line, checking the traps in the dark after basketball practice.  Looking back, I kind of admire our level of motivation, but maybe not our smarts so much. :D  Hunting and fishing seems important to Ethan.  I think we could do lots worse.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2009, 07:19:40 AM »
Youth Gun opened today Magicman.

We've been busy getting rid of a flat roof and building two porches on my son's home, but thankfully that is now complete.

We can finally go hunting now, (and I can get back to sawing too.  I've gotten behind.)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline treecyclers

• Share Post
    • Treecyclers, LLC
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2009, 08:39:17 AM »
Though I have no littles of my own, I SO look forward to the day that I get to take my littles out in the field to share what little I know with them. Can't see my dad doing it, other than to take a walk, but that's the best he can do, and that's great too.
Mr. Jim (jdtuttle) has graciously offered me another opportunity to go bowhunting with him today, the last week of early bow season.
Mr. Jim, I can't thank you enough for the kindness you've shown me in the brief time I've been back here in NY.
I look forward to bringing you a few treasure logs as a thank you gift.
Booyah!
SD

Offline gary

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2009, 09:02:41 AM »
I went with my 77 year old father and an uncle to our family cabin this year. This was probably the last time my father will get to hunt from the cabin. Due to his age and a lack of deer in that area. The only one he he saw was while looking out the window of the cabin. The most important part was being there with him.  My uncle (who is only a few years older than me ) and I were talking about the fact that there would be no one to go with us when we are my fathers age because none of our children hunt.  Remember that the time you take now and the things you don't get done today because you went hunting with those youngsters is time well spent.

Offline jdtuttle

• If it's worth doin, it's worth doin right
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2009, 05:50:22 AM »

That's not necessary Dave but I appreciate the offer. Can't keep up with the logs in the yard now.
Cold mornings should get the rut going again & I've got a good spot picked out for you.  8)
Have a great day

Offline treecyclers

• Share Post
    • Treecyclers, LLC
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2009, 09:02:32 AM »

That's not necessary Dave but I appreciate the offer. Can't keep up with the logs in the yard now.
Cold mornings should get the rut going again & I've got a good spot picked out for you.  8)
Well then Mr. Jim, I'll just have to come see you and bring y rig so we can get your yard cleared up a bit!
See ya this afternoon!
Dave

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2009, 11:24:38 AM »
Our gun deer season is into its 4th day. I have seen a grand total of zero deer so far averaging 8 hours a day afield.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 11:50:48 AM »
How are the new blind windows working? It's been slow here also. I'm in today to cut up a large doe I got the first day, and that's really all that I've seen. Seeing and hearing more coyotes than deer.

Amoug the 8 guys in our camp we have only taken an 8 point, 4 point, and my doe. Hopefully the weather will change some to improve the deer movement.
~Ron

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 12:03:35 PM »
The windows are great. Just a little condensation on the very bottoms a couple mornings, but no problems.  I can't give any kind of full report on them unless I get a chance to shoot through them.  The weather here is to nice for my property. I need cold and snow. Then the deer will start moving out of the hardwoods into the cedars I think.  Here at Pete;s we have some activity but not like we  would hope for.  Pete has seen two fawns and a doe last night.  He left to go home as he has been sick since opening day.  He plans on bringing Lynda up Friday, but the weather is supposed to stay unseasonable. I'm leaving to go out here in about ten minutes.  Rain moving in tonight they say, so maybe the deer will be out and about early.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2009, 12:48:14 PM »
Hopefully the deer will move for you Jeff. Time really stands still when you don't see anything.

One son from WA flew home last Tue.  Off the plane at 2, and in my tree stand at 3. We had a buck tag, but he watched a fork for about 15 minutes under the white oak, when a 10pt came across my walnut field. Turned a bit away, so he grunted a couple times. The buck turned back to the fork that then moved off. Son shot and hit the 10pt. He called on his cell phone at 4:45 to say "I shot a big buck. Wait 20 minutes and bring a flashlight out, as I don't have one". Then before I hung up, he said "gotta go, there is another..(click). "

Went out with light, and he said a much bigger buck showed up. Watched it for awhile, and it moved off grunting at every step, as in disgust.  ::) ::)

We kicked the wounded one out when we looked for blood. Not a good thing to do.  :(  Looked all the next day for that deer. Not until Sat. did we learn that a fellow hunting the neighbors land had smelled a dead deer. We found the 10 pt, rotting away. Took a pic, and left it. The coyotes had eaten both hind quarters and were working their way forward.
This buck traveled nearly half a mile from where we lost the blood trail.

south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Turkey Hunting 2009

Started by Ron Scott on The Outdoor Board

22 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 04:25:47 PM
by woodsteach
xx
Bear hunting 2009

Started by Jeff on The Outdoor Board

216 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 04:15:23 AM
by SwampDonkey