iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alabama registered forester exam

Started by wmrussel, October 22, 2009, 09:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmrussel

I'm studying for this test and need a bit of help.  I finished school over 10 years ago and am a bit rusty (cough, cough).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 
My name is William, but people call me Pete.  Long story......

beenthere

Refresh the memory...  Have you been active in the forestry field, doing the things a forester is likely to be tested for, on, or about?

Up on the new methods discussed here, like GIS, GPS, etc. ?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Texas Ranger

If I remember correctly, they used to tell  us in school (Missouri) the hardest question in the Alabama test was: "When you are planting trees, which side goes up, brown or green", ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

wmrussel

Beenthere,  thanks for the interest.  My replies will be brief, as I'm using my blackberry and thumb type'n is slow.

Most of my work has been cruising timber, mapping (GIS and GPS). 

I need a good strategy for studying.  Being self employed gives me flexibility, but also keeps me extra busy.

wmrussel

Texas Ranger is it brown up?  I may be in trouble...  ;-)

beenthere

Then I'd suggest going to a Prof in the Forestry Dept. in Alabama.
Try to find out if the test has recently been written, or if it is 10-20 years old.  :) ::)

Bone up on the mensuration techniques, tax issues, and management plans. A myriad of things a forester could, would, or might do makes it tougher. See if you can get a clue from the Prof as to what the test might emphasize.

Is it multiple choice, or essay testing? Problem solving, or general management ideas?

Applying good grammar and spelling skills may also be important. The "i culn't spell enguneer, now I r one" joke comes to mind.

Not sure the purpose of the test, but local prof's should have a pretty good idea. Maybe even go to the Chief Forester for the state. Or recent test takers, or the Soc. of American Foresters meetings. All takes your precious time. Wish you well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wmrussel

Thanks for the Prof idea, I'd not thought of that.  It's a written exam, no multiple choice.  It is open book, but that's a bit deceiving.  Grammar ain't no problem, but it's hand written, so no spell check!

fkarcha

The Association of British Columbia Forest Professionals organizes group study sessions and practice exams for Foresters-in-Training.  Maybe its Alabama counterpart has a similar option?

WDH

If you take the test, I would be very interested to know what areas were covered in the test.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wmrussel

The test covers every area of foretry you can think of.  I like the study group idea, but don't know of any for this test. I'm guessing a prof at Auburn could help me find one.

Thank You Sponsors!