iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tk 1600-elec clutch

Started by dge74, November 18, 2009, 02:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dge74

just dusted off my 1600 after a year, greased it ,new fuel, ect. fired rite up - stared to cut and the clutch keeps kicking out even with no load. any ideas. - Never mind,had to jump start .battery not taking a charge so not enough energy to engage clutch.-new battery

James P.

dge74 , welcome to the forum,I can't help you with clutch problem. I am sure someone is more familiar with your mill and will have a suggestion

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

1938farmall

dge,  mine has an electric clutch with the switch wired to the ground side of the clutch.  if it's been stored, i would look for a dirty / loose connection at the switch or the clutch.  al
aka oldnorskie

T Red

Also check low voltage.  If the battery is weak the alternator may not be able to keep the voltage high enough to keep the clutch engaged.

As farmall stated dirty connections/ contacts will compound the problem. 
Tim

mrnero

Hi dge74, if everything else fails, try this troubleshooting/diagnosis method to your electric clutch. Run a positive jumper wire from the battery to the (+) side of the clutch and run a negative jumper wire from the battery to the (-) side of the clutch. If the clutch don't kick out (slips out) anymore, Then you have a electrical problem from the clutch back to the power source. check the wires and switch/relay back to original power source for loose/bad connections or bad switch/relay. If kicking out (slippage) still persist with jumper wires on, you have clutch problems. Some electric clutches are adjustable & needs cleaning and some electric clutches becomes throwaways. Be sure your battery is up to max voltage and or full charged during this troubleshooting method. good luck
P.S. if you find that its electrical problems, let me know and I can help you out further in detecting if its the negative feed side or postive feed side thats effecting your clutch problem.
Most likely, if you hear a clicking noise while the elect clutch is engaged/running its usually electrical. If the elect clutch is slipping, its mostly out of adjustment/cleaning or its junk.

Magicman

dge74, Welcome to FF..... 8)  There are several TK'ers on here that will help you.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dge74

Quote from: dge74 on November 18, 2009, 02:47:48 PM
just dusted off my 1600 after a year, greased it ,new fuel, ect. fired rite up - stared to cut and the clutch keeps kicking out even with no load. any ideas. - Never mind,had to jump start .battery not taking a charge so not enough energy to engage clutch.-new battery
thank all of you for replying- hope i can return the favor some day.

T Red

Let us know how it turns out. 
Tim

backwoods sawyer

- Never mind,had to jump start .battery not taking a charge so not enough energy to engage clutch.-new battery
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

T Red

Thanks for pointing that out.  I must be getting old and senile.  :-\
Tim

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: T Red on November 20, 2009, 07:23:23 AM
Thanks for pointing that out.  I must be getting old and senile.  :-\
Or it was just edited after you had read that part.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!