iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lost a good horse today

Started by timberfaller390, December 17, 2009, 06:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberfaller390

I went out to feed this morning and found my stud Nitro (High Brow Hickory for anyone who knows the bloodline) hung up in the gate. He had gotten his leg cought between the gate and post and was laying on his back. I took the gate hinge loose and got his leg loose and he stood up and seemed to be fine until he took about three steps. when his foot hit the ground it laid over to the inside and the bone went through the skin. After he was put down the vet and I did some checking and the bone was not actually severed but all the ligaments and connective tissues had been and the joint just tore loose. He was a four year old buckskin quarter horse stallion. He was the best mannered and gentelest stud I have ever been around and after ten years of shoeing horses for a living that says alot. He was a great horse that will be greatly missed.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Warbird

Oh man.  I'm real sorry to hear this. 

LeeB

I'm sorry to hear that. I know I willl be devestated when my old horse finally goes.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Carpenter

Sorry to hear about your loss.  I am familiar with the Highbrow Hickory line, I love them.  The ones that I have ridden have been very athletic, natural cow horses.  And it always hurts to put a good horse down.  Doesn't it seem like it's always the good ones that get hurt?

red oaks lumber

thats a shame, i'll bet you will be changing the gate design so it wont happen again. a good friend of my lost a mogan this spring same exact way.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

timberfaller390

Quote from: Carpenter on December 17, 2009, 06:50:34 PM
   Doesn't it seem like it's always the good ones that get hurt?
Thats a fact. I have had horses that weren't worth the lead it would take to kill them that never got so much as a scratch.

I was luckey enough to get a filly out of Nitro that is almost identical to him, she's about 9 months old now. I considered selling her a few months ago because I'm not a mare fan but I am so glad I didn't now.
As long as she takes after her daddy she'll be fine but if she takes after her momma it'll be katie bar the door. I had the vet remove his testicles after he was put down, they will be on thier way to Colorado U in the morning. They can extract the semen so I will be able to get another colt out of him through A.I. hopefully.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

fishpharmer

TF, sorry to hear about your loss.  It does seem the good one always get hurt. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ErikC

That's tough to take when it's only a 4 year old. I have gone through a few horses but luckily haven't lost a good one at that young.  Sorry for the bad luck, hope you get one more from the AI.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

That is too bad.Good luck with the mare and the A.I. Let us know how it all works out for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Qweaver

So sorry to hear this.  I love having animals around.  Between cousin Rodney and us, we have a regular McDonalds farm here and we love it.  They become like friends.  The only bad point is that they have short lives and it really hurts when we lose one.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

wi woodcutter

It hurts to lose any horse much less a great one.

I have had my horse since I was 14 and I will miss him greatly when he goes.

What do you use your quarter horses for roping, working cattle or just fun?
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

timberfaller390

They are working cow horses. I got all the info from Colorado U last night and it is going to cost alot of money for them to extract the semen and it's a gamble if they can get anything viable. It's $250 just to process it and tell me if there is anything usable, and if there is it's another $450 to do the actual extraction and $25 a month  per 250 straws to store them. I just can't put that kind of cash out right now on a gamble so my filly will have to do.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

easymoney

i rember the song that says only the good die young. that can apply to more than just people. yes there is some people that are not worth the lead that it would take to blow them away. i have never worked around horses.  my daddy was a share cropper an had horses but i was about 5 years old when he bought a tractor and sold his horses.

Tom

Do they consider it a difference as to whether the genes follow the Mare or Stallion?

Kcwoodbutcher

I had the same thing happen to a yearling at a brood mare operation I was overseeing. We didn't have a chance to put him down , he went on his own. It was a very sad situation that almost made me quit the operation.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

moonhill

I had to part with a horse, for financial reasons, who visited with me for about 5 years.  I can still hear his clomping in the box stall as I went out to feed in the morning, so much so I hear it and almost think I am going about the chores, I just don't have the water bucket in hand.   It is interesting how we can become so attached to animals, especially horses.  They are a mystical animal, possibly capable of great intuition.  I often tried to explain it to myself, saying they just communicated in a different language, hearing, smelling, seeing, touch, but there was an aspect I could not explain easily.  It had to do with my moods which would set the environment we were about to engage in.   

I wish you well with the filly, keep a positive mind. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

ErikC

If you breed that filly later on, it will be the same lines as your old pal at least, although watered down a bit.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

timberfaller390

Quote from: ErikC on December 19, 2009, 11:23:42 AM
  If you breed that filly later on, it will be the same lines as your old pal at least, although watered down a bit.
Yeah that's true. I have a few clients that have already offered to let me breed her to thier studs when I get ready. They are all pretty well bred so it will be a tough choice. The one I want to breed to is a great horse but is a black and white paint.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

asy

Really sorry to hear about your horse.

Isn't it awful when we lose a mate, whether it's a horse or a dog or whatever... 

I hope you do OK with the AI, and don't forget to let us know how it goes!
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

ErikC

Not a big fan of the black and white paint, Huh? I like a few of them but most have too much white around the face to suit me, and those blue eyes :-\. You probably want a registered quarter to best carry on the line anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!