iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winter logging is about to start (I hope)

Started by Quebecnewf, December 18, 2009, 05:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

We have NO snow at all yet and it is mild mild. We had lots of snow but it all melted. There is no ice at all. Last year we crossed to the mainland on the ice bridge on Jan 17th . I have a feeling this year might be later. Went across in boat yesterday to check on my snowmobile I had placed it on an island closer to the mainland and normally you can cross from that island with ease. Even that small stretch is not frozen. :'( :'( :'( :'(

Quebecnewf

Here is a pic from Google earth of Harrington Harbour. My sawmill is located on a small island right next to the north side of the island. The stretch from harrington Island to the islands to the north is the problem there are strong tides and it takes time to freeze. This is the stretch where we have the large floating ropes anchored to help with freezeup

Coon

Guess you need to fab up a barge of some kind and just haul your logs to the mill... ;D

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Quebecnewf

There is still the problem of getting the logs from the woods to the shore. With no snow we don't go

Quebecnewf

motohed

Quote from: Quebecnewf on January 07, 2010, 11:44:24 AM
There is still the problem of getting the logs from the woods to the shore. With no snow we don't go

Quebecnewf

Hi Quebecnewf
I hope it gets better for you , I know the time frame you have to work in is small . I will pray for cold and good snow weather for you . 

Gary_C

I watch these threads of yours every year with a great deal of admiration for what you do. I am working in logging in the cold and snow too, but nothing to what you do every year.

I just wish I could send you a little of this sub zero cold we have been having as the last few weeks have been brutal with storms and the sub zero cold. Not that I wish these extreme conditions on anyone, but would be glad to get rid of some of this cold. From what I see now, this stationary system that has been causing our problems may be on the move so perhaps that will be good news for you and me both.

Gary
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WH_Conley

Bill

Quebecnewf

We had a couple of inches of snow here last night. Its still mild . Slush is forming in the water this morning. You sometimes see this even though the weather is mild ice will form in the sea water. We are supposed to get colder over the next week or so so we can only hope.

Quebecnewf

Coon

I sent you a bunch of cold weather.  :D  I hope it gets there soon....  Actually we are getting warm temps coming up for the next few days at just below freezing for highs during the day and low teens at night.  It's about time we have had enough -20 to -40C temps for a while.  Thinkin' bout goin' fishin' in the morning.  The work can wait for a day or so. ;D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

15 F here this morning and north breeze. A few very light flurries around that don't add up to anything. Did the flurry thing all night and you couldn't even measure it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

semologger

? for you Quebecnewf. Who owns the island you have the mill on. Also who owns the timber you cut on. How far do you have to haul to the mill.

Quebecnewf

Both the island and the trees are all crown land. I am hauling 14 klm one way right now. I have been as far away as 22 and as close as 11.

22 is as far as you want to go with snowmobile and even at that distance it is not making much sense. Gas here is now at 1.45 a liter.

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!