iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got me a roof over my head, finally!

Started by Shamus, January 01, 2010, 11:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamus

Its great to be out of the rain (lots of rain) and snow again, it makes all the difference for a sawyer's happiness and productivity. A few years back I was monkeying around with tarp shelters, but they kept collapsing in winter under snow loads (happened two years in a row when I went away for Christmas, despite bracing, etc.). I kind of gave up for a while, but finally got around to upgrading the roof.

I ended up with a bunch of recycled tin roofing (traded for some 6' tall cedar seedlings from my nursery), and some help with a neighbor's excavator (traded work for machine storage). Total cost less than $100. Works for me. Total size is about 50' x 20'. Its nothing fancy, but it does the trick. Snow load around here isn't too heavy, those fir beams are reasonably sturdy, and should hold up. The mill is happy, and I'm tickled too!

D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

Dakota

Very nice.  I like your log deck also.
Dakota
Dave Rinker

customdave

Looks good & sturdy & pretty to me! Should do the trick, good sized poles too. Play safe!....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

fishpharmer

Shamus, what a great way to start a new year.  At first glance, I thought that's a very small mill.  50x20 is BIG!  It really looks good and the price was great.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

That is a Dang good looking shed.  As a matter of fact......I like your entire setup..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

logwalker

Good looking setup. Are those cedar posts buried in the ground? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Shamus

Thanks all.

Yeah Joe, an excavator dug holes seven feet deep to hardpack, and the cedar columns were dropped onto a layer of gravel, and back-filled with blast rock. I spiked the cedar logs below ground level with short lengths of sharpened rebar. The columns are untreated. I thought of charcoaling the bases, but...
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

zopi

Log deck..literally...

shaped like mine but better looking...probably squarer too...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WildDog

Looks good Shamus, we are always out battling the elements, a bit of comfort goes along way in getting some extra production out.

QuoteI thought of charcoaling the bases, but...
I hav'nt heard of charcoaling stumps, does it preserve wood under ground and if so from what?
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Ironwood

I am planning iron sq. tube risers, BUT man those timbes look NICE. Got me thinking, can I convert to I-beams above for my trolly/ crane and still use timbers. NICE.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Shamus

WildDog,
     a customer of mine bought a whack of cedar for fence posts - he swears that charring the below-ground portions helps to keep them from rotting, an old trick a neighbor of his taught him. Now, I have seen several old buried, scorched cedar logs where I live, but not sure if the charring helped with preservation. Part of me wonders if you'd just be singeing off material and doing more harm than good. Anyone else heard of this being done?

Ironwood,
     I sure would have liked to mill those NICE cedar columns up, but, what the heck, sacrifices must be made. Plus, I've got plenty more where those came from (more cedar than I-beams at any rate).

Tom

Lacking any better way of preservation, in the days before chemicals, wood was charred to prevent bacterial decay and insect invasion (termites).  While the char doesn't rot, it doesn't prevent invasion of the interior wood.   Most posts rot at ground level where the intermittant drying and wetting of the wood is favorable to bacterial and fungal growth.

Chemical infusion, under pressure, has been the best way found to preserve wood at work.  While submerged or buried wood might last indefinitely, or at least a long time, if Oxygen can't reach it, it isn't working like a post is working.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fpltn/fpltn-108.pdf

Ironwood

I bought some used 8 x 8 box tubes from a 24' fuel island canopy. They are already base plated. I want to have a jib on each column on each side of the entry as well as a belly crane on the length (I have all the jibs and belly assembly, and Budgit cranes), BUT man I love the look of that timber.  :-[

Ironwood

I too have heard of the charring method, I saw it in a turn of the century USDA publication. It was primarily for bugs.
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

zopi

They used to wrap the post bottoms in tar paper to keep them from rotting...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

backwoods sawyer

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

js2743

nice looking shed, are you going to add any bracing ??

Shamus

Ah the bracing question! Well I am thinking about it, but its not keeping me up at night yet. The operator end of the roof is cantilevered out pretty far (about ten feet), and in the picture it may look like it is sagging. But the two doug-fir logs I used as beams had a little butt sweep (pistol butt) from growing on a side slope, and they are really dense. So, those logs went up on top of the columns with that 'sag'. However, I know it couldn't hurt to add some bracing throughout, and could make a good rainy day project. But now that I'm working under cover there really are no rainy days, i can mill anytime! And I'm just keeping up with milling and firewood orders these days. Though we can get a foot of snow from time to time.

Back burner I guess. Unless everyone thinks I'm crazy... ?

js2743

always been told a building is only as good as its bracing, over time it might start to lean one way or the other as wind and if you get snow will put a lot of pressure against it. 

Ironwood

You are crazy.  :D I'd at least brace the 10' overhang, and you could just use cables and turnbuckles on the rest, at least for now if your in a hurry.

Ironwood

customdave

Yes I agree I would defiently  do some bracing in all 4 directions when you have time in near future  :-[

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Slingshot

Ironwood;
                   I used salvaged utility poles, 10 to 12 inches diameter for corner posts and mounted steel I-beams with
   trolley tracks on top of them. Bolted through sides and on top. Still need to do some bracing but are
   holding up well. Posts are 2 to 3 feet in ground with concrete. I have posted pictures before,
   ...(Not as massive as Shamus' --I like his too)...

Charles
sling_shot

Shamus

Bracing it is then.

Would hate to have to say "you told me so".  ;)

Or have my mill and/or self crushed. Now it will keep me up at night (sigh)!

Ironwood

Sling,

I saw your post (the other thread), and I too will have the same orange mill under my roof in tiime.

Ironwood

Coalsmoke

Very nice saw shelter Shamus. I can relate to the weather, the storm we got today wrecked my tractor shed, and with this endless rain I have stopped milling for a while until it either freezes or dries up again. How do you find the building's size? I am planning on 15 x 30' with provisions to double it to 30x30 in the future if needed, but am considering bumping it up to 35 or 40' long. My mill currently is 20' long, end to end.
Visit Coalsmoke's website at www.coalsmoke.com

2008 Norwood Lumber Mate 2000 with Honda 20HP engine.
White 2-60 Field Boss > 65HP Tractor with loader.
Husky Chainsaws 353 and 395XPG heavily modified.
Loving wife who endorses all of the above :)

bandmiller2

Shamus you done good,I have pretty much the same, recycled phone poles,8x10" oak timbers,and 2x6" oak rafters shed roof with rubber membrane.Its snowing right now but everything is under cover, a nice feeling.Alot safer too you not sliding around on ice and snow.No excuses you guys its not like you can't afford the lumber.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!