The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: firewood business  (Read 23283 times)

Offline MDLogging

• Share Post
Re: firewood business
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2010, 06:04:01 PM »

One company that got started here in Jacksonville started a dump facility for arborists and tree companies in the surrounding towns.  They were getting $30 a ton when the County dump was charging $35.  Then they would split and sell the wood all over the State to homeowners and bar-b-cue houses alike.

They finally had to move because the County, unable to find them doing anything wrong, condemned their incinerator.  They were using it to burn the trash and tops and selling the ash.  Now they are a County south and still doing fine, as far as I've heard.
[/quote] 
Ive never heard of burning the brush and selling the ash, but it sounds like a good idea.  What do people use the ash for, gardening?  Is he able to load and unload the incinerator with a loader or is it alot of shovel work?  Sounds alot better and cheaper than grinding.

Offline Black_Bear

• UMaine Black Bears
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2010, 09:45:59 PM »
It's a myth that softwood builds up creosote too fast. You just have to start with properly seasoned wood, and burn it correctly. Some softwoods will still catch and burn OK even if they are not completely seasoned. This leads some people to try to burn it while still somewhat green. This means a colder fire, which means more creosote. The other big creosote contributor is choking the fire for air - which again makes for a colder fire (usually done in an attempt to get the fire to burn longer -- since softwoods burn quicker than a similar volume of hardwoods, some people have a tendency to choke the air supply down even further).

Burn dry wood, and burn it hot, and you won't have a significant problem with creosote build-up burning softwoods. You will end up loading your stove a lot more frequently... most species of wood have the same number of BTUs per pound. The difference is that softwoods are a lot less dense than hardwoods, so it takes a lot more volume to get the same number of BTUs.

Good point John, you explained it better than I did. I probably should have wrote that consistently using unseasoned softwood can lead to creosote build up. Your problem B (choking fire for air so it doesn't burn so fast) is essentially what I was getting at. Add in some snow and ice and you have a perfect slow cooker/smoker.   

Offline mrnero

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2010, 11:10:57 PM »
 Motohed, If you dont claim to be the best, you are d*m close to it. Though, I started young on the right track, but have a still have a long way to go. Time will only tell. Wishing you many more years of sucess. Good luck.

Offline mrnero

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2010, 03:07:50 PM »
moto come on up

Mnero do you have a clue what

it seems like you need a friend

so.................... :P Mnero I will be your friend

Sorry,  but no thanks

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2010, 03:18:57 PM »
What do people use the ash for, gardening?

There is a mill or heating plant selling ash for farm fields in southern NB. I can't recall which it is. It's not posted on CBC news, which reported it a year ago. So can't get the details. Up here is a potato belt in NW New Brunswick, similar to northern Maine and you can't use wood ash on potato crops. Causes scab which is only an appearance thing and doesn't really harm the potato. But people want everything perfect in the grocery store. ;)
Move'n on.

Offline MDLogging

• Share Post
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2010, 03:44:58 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I checked into it a little more and saw a few pics of the burners.  Looks like it works pretty good.  Says the large burner will go through up to 10 tons an hour.  I think the major cost is the actual price of the incinerator and what little diesal it uses.  I wonder how much the ash is selling for?

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2010, 03:48:07 PM »
As far as I recall the heat source for this operation was wood itself, the ash was the waste product. Then they began selling it.
Move'n on.

Offline MDLogging

• Share Post
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2010, 04:27:34 PM »
The heat source was the wood, but it has a diesal engine with a blower that circulated air to the fire.  This would burn the fire hotter and cleaner.  It looks like it puts off very little smoke if any.

Offline MDLogging

• Share Post
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2010, 04:29:40 PM »
The website is www.airburner.com if interested

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2010, 04:40:48 PM »
We got our wires crossed.  :D I was talking about the operation back here. ;) It was ash from boilers used here. If it was the heating plant boiler in the capitol, it heats two Universities and a regional hospital. Has been for 25 years at least now. Hog fuel is trucked from one of Jim Irving's sawmills in Chipman. It was either that or ashes direct from one of Irvings operations to the farmers.
Move'n on.

Offline motohed

• Share Post
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2010, 05:41:36 PM »
Motohed, If you dont claim to be the best, you are d*m close to it. Though, I started young on the right track, but have a still have a long way to go. Time will only tell. Wishing you many more years of sucess. Good luck.

Hi mrnero

I am sure you will do fine ,  the most important thing you can do is being honest and doing what you say you will . Reputation is the key .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Firewood business...big enough market to run a business?

Started by burnwood on Forestry and Logging

60 Replies
Last post August 15, 2014, 07:04:27 AM
by timberlinetree
xx
firewood business

Started by aksawyer on Forestry and Logging

17 Replies
Last post December 24, 2010, 08:24:36 PM
by H60 Hawk Pilot
xx
firewood business