The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: what do you think of dolmar the company and there products  (Read 14840 times)

Offline 567paloggger

• Share Post
what do you think of dolmar the company and there products
« on: January 28, 2010, 10:18:04 PM »
I just want your views on dolmar durability and company i just bought my first dolmar 5100s today i took it home and cut with it for a hour or so i really liked this saw my buddy swears by them but i never owned a dolmar so i splurged for another saw you dont see the big logging companys or the pro loggers using them the guy who i bought mine from was saying alot of logging companys were switching over to dolmar from the other saw companys i wanted to know what you guys think of the saws

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: what do you think of dolmar the company and there products
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 10:22:55 PM »
Dolmar started in the 1920's, around the same time as Stihl, and built an excellent reputation. The name disappeared when Makita bought the line from Sachs and is being re introduced. Still a great product but parts supply can be an issue.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Online Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 10:55:41 PM »
I have a 7900 that I'm really happy with. That and the 5100s are the two stand out saws they make. The others are perfectly OK, but no better or worse than the average good brand name saws.

Dolmar has been making chainsaws for a long time, and although they are now owned by Makita, Makita are in the business of making good power tools si I would suggest they didn't buy Dolmar to run it into the ground, or sell off cheap junk under the brand name. So they aren't like the new Poulans and Mcullochs

Here in NZ there seems to be a Dolmar dealer on every 2nd street corner. Even the independant Stihl dealers sell them, local power tool shop (Makita dealer), bicycle and lawnmower shop etc.

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 11:18:01 PM »
I cut in the bush running 7900's for a while and can honestly say they are pretty strong and can handle a pounding , I like the saw alot .

Offline islandlogger

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
    • www.independentlogging.webs.com
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 03:13:08 AM »
I was in the market to buy a new mid range saw, a forrester friend of mine has been trying to get me into Dolmar for a long time so I borrowed his 5100s and put it through the paces and I gotta tell you, I was surprised! Lot's of bang for the buck in a saw that size, it's comp to the Stihl 390...

islandlogger

Offline peppone

• Share Post
    • la motosega ed altri attrezzi da taglio
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 04:16:24 AM »
I have many Dolmar saws: ps5000, ps7900, ps9000 (my favourite one) and a lot of old dolmar (ca, cc and others). wondering machines. probably better than Husqvarna and at the same level with Sthil.
Don't forget that dolmar invented the chainsaw powered by gasoline in 1927.
you're invited to visit my forum all about chainsaws:
http://lamotosega.forumattivo.com/forum.htm
saluti
peppone

Offline joe_indi

• Senior Member x2
  • The older I get the more I learn
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 05:39:07 AM »
Cant say much about Dolmar the company.
The oldest chainsaw company.Based in Germany.
Bought over by Makita Japan.
Makita has also taken over the small engines plants of Subaru Robin, whose engines are very dependable, in my opinion, even more dependable  than Honda.
The Robin 4 stroke brushcutter engine surprisingly looks very similar to the Stihl engines, except for its oil sump.
I dont know who has been 'cheating'.

The Dolmar-Makita merger could be the beginning of good things to come.

I had a  chance recently to try out three of their saws the 6400, 7300 and the 7900.
Performance was very impressive.
After more than 2 months of trials, the only replacement needed was a choke lever that went missing in the field.
I would not be able to say the same of a Stihl or Husky.

Years ago a 372XP that was on trials lost its Starter housing screws in a week, its short circuit wire a couple of days later.And the ignition module lost a screw in a fortnight.

A Stihl MS381 and 360 that were on trials lost their exhaust screws in a few days' time.One of the cylinder screws of the 381 came off in a week.The 360 blew its cylinder gasket in 2 weeks' time.

Compared to that the Dolmar/Makita machines seemed more confidence inspiring with their absence of the bad habit of shedding parts like a performer in a strip joint. :D :D :D
Where they are weak is that they dont have the same cutting system of a Stihl(Bar & saw chain) which give Stihl thatedge over the rest.
Other than that, very good and dependable machines.

Joe

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 07:42:38 AM »
Good saws, as with any new saw make sure it's not running lean on the high adjuster.   Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 07:59:27 AM »
one thing I can tell you to do is make sure you push the decompressure button in on starting the saw , if you donot you will tear the hub out on the rewind after a while but if you use the button you have no trouble , this is on the 7900 as it has more compression that just about any other saw

Offline peppone

• Share Post
    • la motosega ed altri attrezzi da taglio
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 01:46:44 PM »
my PS9000 iss without compreessor but it's easy to start. ::)
you're invited to visit my forum all about chainsaws:
http://lamotosega.forumattivo.com/forum.htm
saluti
peppone

Offline 567paloggger

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 05:32:45 PM »
i like my new 5100s i was thinking on buying a second one

Offline 567paloggger

• Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 12:59:18 AM »
bump anyone else have there opinion about these saws will they hold up like the stihls and huskys do

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 05:30:49 AM »
I had a 7900 apart that was set to lean, it's build every bit a good as pro Husky and Stihl saws.     Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline BARPINCHER

• Share Post
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 11:29:54 AM »
I just want your views on dolmar durability and company i just bought my first dolmar 5100s today i took it home and cut with it for a hour or so i really liked this saw my buddy swears by them but i never owned a dolmar so i splurged for another saw you dont see the big logging companys or the pro loggers using them the guy who i bought mine from was saying alot of logging companys were switching over to dolmar from the other saw companys i wanted to know what you guys think of the saws

I know several pro loggers that have run them for years.  All say just as good or better that Stihl or Husky.  Depending on where you are they can be tough to get parts for.  Supposedley if you have a dealer for Briggs and Stratton they can get any Dolmar parts as Dolmar and Briggs use the same parts distribution network.  The other bonus is the Dolmars are a good bit cheaper to buy.  I have ran a 5100 and a 7900 that were a season or two old of one of these loggers and both were easy starting, smooth running , powerful saws.
Serving hunters and the hunted with science based; non-traditional resouce management methods

Offline chipsfly09

• Share Post
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 08:10:01 PM »
I have a 7900 and a 5100 I like them-- My 5100 was acting a bit lean (max rich with limiter on carb screw) after the third tank-- I did some trimming on the limiter cap and gave it a bit more fuel and it is doing fine-- Did have to put a switch on my 7900-- dealer had a box of em so i bought 2. 

Offline MOwoodchopper

• Polar Bear
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 12:06:12 PM »
Best saws their is period
STIHL 084
STIHL 026 X2
STIHL 015
HUSQVARNA 372XP
DOLKITA 7900
DOLMAR 6800
DOLMAR 5105

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 07:24:20 PM »
I've never had the pleasure of running a Dolmar. Based on the reputation, and what I'd heard here, I almost bought one new last fall, but the only dealer anywhere near me only sells a very limited selection (wouldn't even order me what I wanted). He also has a policy of only servicing what he actually sold (he keeps track of the serial numbers). I'm only comfortable with minor maintenance on my own, so I really appreciat good local support.

Same dealer says he's had problems with the 5100s, so won't sell them anymore. (My bet is, he was probably letting them go out of the shop too lean and they developed problems.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline 567paloggger

• Share Post
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 08:22:30 PM »
well my friend who sells husky and dolmar he is a ex logger until opeing his shop on the side of his house he swears by dolmar and likes them more than husky thats all he uses for wood cutting now but the thing is when he retires there is no one who sells or services dolmar around

Offline Rocky_J

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 08:23:25 PM »
Doesn't sound like the kind of dealer you want.  :-\

Offline motard

• Share Post
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 02:14:19 PM »
bump anyone else have there opinion about these saws will they hold up like the stihls and huskys do

Remember, Makita bought out Dolmar years ago, parts for the older ones are hard to find (Makita does not support them)

These 4 are anywhere from 25 to 40+ years old.

They will start on the 2nd or 3rd pull, even when the temp is 0 F.

All have great compression, I think it is often forgotten how nice and innovative Sachs Dolmar was.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Anyone know anything about this company?

Started by TexasTimbers on General Board

1 Replies
Last post August 18, 2005, 12:58:05 PM
by Tom
xx
What company was it? Help

Started by Brad_bb on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post April 02, 2014, 03:48:09 PM
by roger 4400
xx
Company shirts