iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do log truckers charge

Started by nedly05, February 02, 2010, 05:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nedly05

I am curious about how log truckers charge. Do they have a per thousand rate plus milage? I know a lot of guys make some long runs to the mill so it seems milage must play some part in it. Most trucks around here are tri-axles with a pup trailer.

SwampDonkey

In these parts, they charge by the cord or tonne, with mileage and fuel factored in of course. Many truckers are also loggers part time.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nas

Mine charges by the hour $120.  Tri-axle and pup.
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

tlandrum

i am a full time logger but when i have time i haul for others and charge 30- 50 a thousand to haul to local mills and haul an average of 3000ft
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Bobus2003

Truckers here (Western SD) Charge by the ton.. Generallly somewhere between $6-$15/ton.. depending which mill its going too Most are goin for 30 ton loads

hollywoodmfg

in western ny its 100 to load and 3.50 a mile. 10 miles is $ 135

sjfarkas

In my area they charge by the hour from home back to home .  selfloader is $105 and I think the others are $95, but the mill somehow gets them to take $75-$80. 
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

SwampDonkey

Hauling for forest companies around here they don't get no where near those rates. They get to haul 80 hours in the woods and still go broke. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nedly05

Thanks for the replys, looks like there is decent money in it. I would think for a tri-axle and pup you would want to try and get a least $110 an hour or so, maybe more. What type truck do you guys run?

Jamie_C

Holy crap you guys get a decent trucking rate .... around here the rate is $0.06 x distance in km + $6.00 to get the rate in $/tonne

SwampDonkey

I never even heard of trucking by the hour to haul produce or cars even let alone wood.

Jamie_C

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 03, 2010, 06:24:29 PM
I never even heard of trucking by the hour to haul produce or cars even let alone wood.

Me neither, everything around here is done by the tonne-mile or tonne-kilometre ... the only thing that gets paid by the hour would be the float and they run around $110/hr

KyMasterLogger

in this part of the woods, we get $0.05 a bd-ft for delivery to a sawmill within 25 miles.  if the haul is 25-50 miles, the price is $0.06. if its over 50 miles I usually dont do it. these prices are for hardwoods. loads will range anywhere from 3000-6000 bd-ft. i drive a peterbilt (daycab) with either a 2 or 3 bunk trailer.

pulpwood and chips is by the ton. i usually pass on these loads because the haul is over 50 miles.

my insurance policy is what limits me to 50 miles. 

Bro. Noble

We paid $12/ton to have utility poles loaded and hauled about 60 miles.  He used west coast trailers pulled by big Petes and furnished the loader and did the loading.  Most of the loads were over length if not over weight so he mostly hauled on Sundays,  at daybreak,  or when it was raining.  He said the DOT aren't so likely to be out with their portable scales then :D :D  The guy was extremely reliable and good to work with,  I thought it was a bargain.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

mad murdock

In NW Oregon, they charge by the hour, depending on distance to the mill, most of my trucking costs averaged to around 90-100/mbf for a self-loader.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!