iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frick Sawmill Rebuild

Started by todd.crow, February 09, 2010, 07:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

todd.crow

After lurking for a year or so, I thought I might show everyone the mill progression that I have been working on.

In early 2000 my brother and I bought a Foley-Belsaw sawmill model M-14.  It has a 40" circular blade and a 10' carriage for the logs to sit on.  It is powered by a PTO shaft from one of the farm tractors.  It is set on 8 railroad ties, each buried 4 feet into the ground to get below the frost line up here in Minnesota

The spring of 2008 we upgraded to a Frick Sawmill. It is a combination of two models of Frick mills, the husk is from a 0 and the carriage is from a 00. When we brought it home the frame had been cut into 3 sections, and when we started looking the beams were all rusted out.

So, we acquired new main beams, they are from an old bridge and stand 15" tall. The old carriage was made of wood and not in good shape, so we built a new one of steel. 3"x5" 1/4" wall box iron.

We added two more axels to the carriage for a total of five axels. Here is the reassembled carriage with the 3"x5" 1/4" wall box iron frame and 5 axels.

Here is the husk attached to the beams. We had to modify it for the new main beams and the new bearings that replaced the bushings on the mandral.

We have the outfeed roller assembly attached.

We are starting on a log turner. We used double 120 pitch chain, and cut teeth that we welded onto the chain to grab the log.

Here is the log turner after we have moved the sawmill down to the Sawmill building. A hydraulic ram raises the turner arm up into the log and the chain is driven by a hydraulic motor to turn the log. We also use the turner arm to push logs onto the carriage.

We are working on hooking up the hydraulics for the new sawmill. There are 5 different hydraulic circuits on this mill. The carriage drive, two for the log turner, and two for the live deck

We built a live deck for the sawmill as well. Chains bring the logs across the live deck and push them onto the fingers that are lowered to reach the carriage.

We built a guard to keep us out of the drive belts. We also installed some plexiglass in front of the sawyer to protect him from things thrown from the blade.

I have a you tube video of us sawing some late this fall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2-SVfRP8_g

You can see more of our milling and other projects at www.crowsnest.us

Todd

BillBrooks

Carpenter

Nice set up.  Thanks for showing us.  And welcome to the forum.

Jeff

Great job on the Mill and on the photo posting. :)  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Quite a picture story.  Don't stop now. :D

whiskers

Took the tour, very impressive. Great job on the Cats.
many irons in the fire.........

bandmiller2

Todd,your no stranger to metal working,first class job.I like the engine setup back out of the way.My first mill had a cat d318 power unit out of an old Bucyrus erie shovel,it wood just loaf along all day not much over 1200 rpm.I'd get its attention with a big oak log though.Nice shop too, watched alot of your vidios.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Joe Lallande

When I see what American engineering can do in this country, I am very proud of all of the hard work that can be accomplished by Americans. Keep it up. I will post my Belsaw flat belt to V belt conversion soon.

Meadows Miller

Gday

And welcome to the Forum Todd  ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) Ive had your web page on my bookmarks list for afew years now and have liked watching your progress You have alot of nice gear and your Mum makes some nice looking quilts  Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8) 8)

Great rebuild you have done a Top Job Mate how many Hp do those D318s put out  ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!