iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Grapple Trailer construction

Started by todd.crow, February 09, 2010, 10:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

todd.crow

I am starting work on a log boom/grapple for my trailer that I built for hauling logs. I have been working out the details for a while now, and this drawing is where I am going.

I am planning on a 10.5 foot 6x4x3/16 tubing boom with a 8 foot 5x3x3/16 tubing stick. The main lift ram will be a 4"x2" with the stick ram a 3.25"x1.75". According to my calculations it should be able to lift 1200 lbs at full extension. I am going to power it by a 13hp gas engine so I can pull the trailer with whatever I want.

Designing the grapple has been the most difficult. Has anyone built their own?

Here is the construction of the trailer.

Here are the basic components of the trailer.  The deck is going to be 8 feet wide by 15 feet long.  I bought the axels at a salvage yard and the steel at a used steel outfit.

The main frame is together with the axels in place. 

The crossmembers are on and I am starting on the stake pockets.

I got the hitch installed.  All that is left is to build a platform in the hitch to haul the chainsaws and the gas and oil on.  I didn't install a floor on it to make so I can slip the forks under the logs and lift them right off.

Completed. We haul about 30 14" diameter, 8 foot long logs per trip.

or 20 10 footers on this trip.

Todd

Coon

That is a nice log trailer.  I see you built it out of recycled materials.... Here's the one I am building on a smaller scale.  It too, is out of recycled materials.....

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Tom

A former sponsor of this forum makes and sells forwarding trailers just like you want to build.  Look at their website and you might get some ideas.

Bobus2003

Back in the Mid '90's my dad Took an Old Hay Loader off a Bale Grinder.. and Mounted it Too the neck of a 24' GN Trailer that was Powered by a 10hp Briggs.. Worked really slick.. I'm lookin now for another Hay Loader that I wanna Center-Mount on a 40' GN trailer for hauling my Posts and Saw logs

stonebroke

What are you going to haul a 40 foot goose neck trailer loaded with logs with? I want to see that pickup.

Stonebroke

Don K

Hey Todd, Glad to see you found the forum. I bookmarked your website yrs ago. I found it while doing a search for sawmills or either old dozers. I just checked back in the other week and you have some nice woodworking projects under your belt.

Also my wife is starting to quilt and I showed her the pics of your mother's quilts. Beautiful.

Glad to have you.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Maine372

not to ruin the 'i made it myself' image, but it might be easier and in the end cheaper to just buy a grapple. they look simple but theres lots of details in a small space.

or if you really want to do it yourself, find somone who will let you take measurements of a large grapple and then scale down.

Louis

Bobus2003

Quote from: stonebroke on February 10, 2010, 11:00:59 AM
What are you going to haul a 40 foot goose neck trailer loaded with logs with? I want to see that pickup.

Stonebroke

Behind a F450 Or F550.. It'll be more of a Post trailer than for Logs.. But will be set-up to handle 16' Saw logs front and rear

stonebroke

You must have flat land out there.

Stonebroke

Bobus2003

Nah, The Black hills have some good climbs on the roads, Steepest Paved road  has a 15% Grade, Like everything gotta do it using your head and don't be stupid

todd.crow

I have refined my design for the Log boom and Grapple.

I brought the trailer into the shop with the steel for the boom on the deck.

I extended the frame out 2 1/2 feet to give me room to attach the boom.

I then reattached the log bunks

Here I am mocking up the outriggers

I have cut out the plates that will reinforce the pivots and am doing a test fit.

Todd

woodbowl

Good looking trailer, looking forward to seeing the grapple go on. Welcome to the forum.

Coon, do you plan to build a grapple or just the trailer?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Ford_man

Coon

woodbowl, I am building the grapple and the whole works.  I have some of the grapple pieces cut out but am running short on material to finish right now.  Need to go on a scrap hunt again.  :D  Waitin' on this white stuff to dissappear at the moment..... going fast too.  Temps goin' up to just about 10 degrees above freezing here.   8)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Ironwood

Watching things develop, keep us posted.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Banjo picker

Welcome to the forum....Looking forward to seeing the completed project...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

shinnlinger

NIce fab work.  I have been contemplating something similar, but I would like to have the PTO drive an axle on the trailer.  Much easier if your tractor has a ground speed PTO, but I am thinking of using a truck tranny with a pto off that to run the loader. and shift the tranny to match tractor speed.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

todd.crow

I have the outriggers all setup. All that is left is the final welding and then hooking up the hydraulics.

My brother is doing most of the welding on this project. I can weld, but he makes my welding look horrible. So I figured, it wouldn't hurt to let him do the final welding.

He is welding the pivot plates on the boom and stick.

This weekend, I am going to be making a lot of pins and bushings for the pivots.

Todd

Louis

John Woodworth

Todd, any updates on your trailer? Takes a lot of skill to and knowledge to build what your building and make it look factory made which you are doing, lookin good.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

todd.crow

I am test fitting the pieces for the boom to stick pivot.

We are using a magnetic drill to drill the holes for the bushings. Sure is faster than cutting them with the torch, and a lot more accurate.

I have the boom to stick pivot together. All that is left is to weld it up.

Here is the main pivot that the entire boom assembly will attach to being test assembled.

Todd

Carpenter

Great project!
  Thanks for posting it.

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

todd.crow

After working in the fields for a few weeks we got to work on the boom again.

We welded the boom base to the trailer and added all the braces to stiffen the base.

Then we started welding the main pivot together. Unfortunately we ran out of gas for the mig welder before we finished. Have to get a tank this week and get back at it next weekend.

Thank You Sponsors!