iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moose visitors

Started by Warbird, March 14, 2010, 11:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

A few minutes ago, some movement outside the bay windows caught my eye.

What's that, there in the woods?

Yup, looks a bit 'moosey' to me!

Hmmm...  it's gettin' real moosey around here.  Looks like a yearling calf!

And then a few minutes later, the big 'ol momma was right up against my fence, eating off the trees and some the dead fireweed.  For reference, that fence is just over 6 feet tall.   :o 

Her calf went to the other side of the yard.  The first pic here is him down at the end of the yard.  The second pic was taken from just inside our back door, no zoom.  He was 15 - 20 feet away.

Sure would have been nice if that large moose had shown up a couple of months ago.  A buddy of mine had a bow and arrow permit for any antlerless moose.  I tell you, that would have been a pretty easy hunt.  Sure would have been nice to fill up the freezer that easily.  If you can call processing an entire moose 'easy'.  :)

Anyhow, thought you all would enjoy the pics.

fishpharmer

Warbird, that's cool to have moose so close.  Is it against the law to feed them?  You could open the back gate, let one in and fatten it up until season opens :D :D ;D
Or not.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Warbird

Honestly, I'd prefer them to not be quite so close.  Sometimes, they cannot see fences and walk right through them.

Yes, it is against the law to feed moose.  It is a public safety issue because they become used to being fed so quickly.  People have been charged and killed by moose looking for free handouts.

I freely admit that I was tempted for about .0005 of a second to grab the rifle.  I am a law abiding man though, and that just wouldn't have been right.  Plus, I have too many neighbors.  :-\

Tom

That's a really cool series of photos.  I'm fascinated by meese.  The pictures on the tube show them totally underwater, eating the stuff on the bottom and then coming up to breath.  It doesn't seem that they have much fear of man.  There are a lot of pictures of them walking through town.  Northern Exposure, that fun show that got canceled after they made it too serious, had a moose that walked the street.  Would they normally attack, or run?

Warbird

They normally run, unless accustomed to being fed by people.  For instance, that calf in the last picture was starting to try and nibble some dead fireweed poking through the fence.  I walked out on the porch, made my presence known, and he skedaddled right quick.  :)

customdave

Warbird, I don't mean to rub it in ???, But coincedence, I was building moose stew today in the slowcooker & it was gooood! Sorry man , I could not resist, take care.....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Warbird

No worries, Dave.  I have a bit of moose meat left in the freezer, thanks to a couple of good buddies who each got a moose this year.  We recently had a great meatloaf made with moose meat.  Mmmmm Mmmm.  That stew sure sounds good, too.

Tom, a caveat to the bit about moose normally running.  A mama moose is a vicious creature if she feels her young are threatened.  Best to steer clear, in any event.

SwampDonkey

There usually pretty docile, like a horse. They are easily domesticated. But in the wild should not be approached as if old bossy in the barn. :D If they are ugly they will sound like a bear growling, but will likely run off. But, there is always the chance of being charged to. Personally, I have never met a mean one on these old farms.

They sometimes come up to the house here and lay down and night in the grass or feed on apple,aspen and birch twigs. There's moose poop all around the back yard where I don't mow. :D

From last fall. There were 8 down in the field below the house, 5 in this picture. Three more on down. This picture was taken by my brother in the morning after I left for work and the sun was just coming up there. The woods in behind is my back yard. I have 4.3 acres there with the house up to the right out of the picture.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

Nice, SD.  Do you get much noise at your place from those windmills in the background?

DanG

Your place looks pretty cool, WB. ;)   I couldn't tell ya when was the last time we had a moose visit here.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

submarinesailor

Quote from: DanG on March 15, 2010, 11:25:15 AM
Your place looks pretty cool, WB. ;)   I couldn't tell ya when was the last time we had a moose visit here.

The last one you saw.........11,000 years ago, during the last ice age. ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Warbird on March 15, 2010, 10:44:55 AM
Nice, SD.  Do you get much noise at your place from those windmills in the background?

I don't here them at all at the house they are 3 miles away. Up at the woodlot I do here them, a whoose sound. Never seems to bother the moose none. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

Funny thing when those moose visited us.  Our dog is a Terrier mix who thinks he is 10 feet tall.  A couple of summers ago, a bigger dog was outside the fence, near where that moose calf is in the picture.  Well our dog was barking at this other dog, all upset but starting to get scared because the other dog wasn't running away and was giving a real intimidating look.

I dislike other dogs wandering my property.  It makes me angry at their owners.  So I went trotting out into the yard, yelled at the other dog, and kicked the fence.  My little dog was right beside me.  That other dog put it in high gear and took off.  You shoulda seen my dog.  He thought he was some sort of bad mamba jamba.  As I walked back to the house, he practically strutted all the way back.  My wife saw the whole thing and was laughing so hard.

Fast forward to these moose.  Boy, was our dog upset.  He wanted to go out there and chase 'em off so bad.  Absolutely no clue that if one of those things sneezed on him, he'd be done for.  And when I stepped out on the porch to make the calf move along, our dog got soooooo upset that he didn't get to join "the big dog" (me) in chasing off the vile trespassers.

Long story, short...  moose and dogs don't mix.  No matter how big your dog thinks he is.

Warren

Quote from: Warbird on March 15, 2010, 02:49:25 AM
Tom, a caveat to the bit about moose normally running.  A mama moose is a vicious creature if she feels her young are threatened.  Best to steer clear, in any event.

My cousin is an avid archery hunter.  Has gone elk and mule deer hunting in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana area several times.  He showed me a picture one time taken from the top of a pile of dead fall....   Looking down at a momma moose....   circling the dead fall....   waiting for him to come down...   For over an hour....

Apparently he unknowingly got between her and her calf.  She REALLY did not apprreciate it.   Fortunately, he was able to climb fast enough to get out of harms way. 

Had to laugh at him.  It is not often that the quarry "trees" the hunter.

-w-
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Haytrader

Now you guys tell me that moose can get mad.

I was stationed at Ft Wainright near Fairbanks after I returned from Nam. Ya, I know, they didn't like me. I was really proud that they wanted me to learn to cross country ski. (NOT)  I have some pictures of a momma moose and her calf I took while out learning to CC ski. I had mastered the going forward slowly and the falling down part but was lacking in turning around and getting up. We had 187" of snow that winter (70-71). My camera was a cheapy and had no zoom, so I was trying to get closer. The calf was having a real hard time moving in the deep snow. If I got to close, the mom would take a run at me but would stop and turn around. I was getting a little nervous and finally common sense prevailed.
Haytrader

Warbird

187"?  Wow!  I sure would like to see that much snow around here, again.  Although, it is very hard on the moose when there is that much snow.  It is much more difficult for them to find food and get around.

We are more than 30" under average snowfall for this winter.  Sure hope we get some precipitation soon, else this could be a real bad fire season.

stonebroke

187 inches is a light winter for some places in upstate NY. Also the UP of Mich. Has to do with lake effect snow.

Stonebroke

SwampDonkey

There is a point in Canada, that the further north you go the less snow you get. It's dry like desert in the far north. ;)

Warbird

That is the way it is here, SD.  They call the Interior of Alaska an "Arctic Desert".  Every now and again though, we get a huge amount of snow or a really rainy summer.

isawlogs

I can asure you that this point you talk about is furthere north then James Bay ...  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

inghamb87

That is pretty amazing to be able to see a Moose out of your window. I can't imagine sipping on a cup of coffee and saying "hey, look there's a moose again near our backyard." Absolutely amazing and you are lucky. By the way, a quick question .. why is it illegal to feed moose? Just wondering

SwampDonkey

Think muskox country Marcel, they live like bison up there and won't live in deep snow too good searching for stuff on the ground and willow bushes. They bust the crust of wind driven snow with their head. They feed in areas of less than 20 cm of snow. ;)  In Palmer, Alaska they are domesticated to make wool clothing.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!